2018 S5 gas in oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to wait and see what my local dealership says. Guess it's a chronic issue with short trips and it seems no manufacturer has a real fix. MAYBE the software fix may increase idle speed and warm up time enough to help but Audi's are not the only problem child.. Telling us to drive them farther is not a Realistic fix and LONG term very damaging on the internals of the engine.. Going to show these blogs to my service manager to let him know its more widespread..
Old 01-08-2019, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you want to know how much fuel is in the oil, get a used oil analysis by a lab that checks fuel by Gas Chromatography (GC). Blackstone is very popular but they only estimate fuel. Oil Analyzer Inc estimates as well, but will check fuel % by GC on request or if the oil viscosity is low.

Not sure how a tech can "check viscosity" by looking at, smelling, or feeling oil. You can also purchase an oil sample kit and take a sample through the dipstick tube. My guess is anywhere from 3-6% of your oil is fuel. And doesn't the S5 spec 0W20? That would be some very thin oil with a little fuel contamination.

Last edited by DennisM; 01-08-2019 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

lol. that tech has magic fingers. he can just tell by the feel. it's already 0 weight. it can't lose much viscosity. i'd rather a 5 weight myself. i'm not living in Canada. The 20 weight I can see for 10,000 mile oil changes but not the 0 weight depending on where you live. mine feels like 3 in 1 oil but smells like I could run my lawn mower off of it.. It's fumes are that bad. but I did replace what I extracted with some fresh but I did keep some extracted for a sample.. Blackstone is a great lab though and I have some local companies that constantly do NDI testing and Oil analysis so shouldn't be a problem..
Old 01-09-2019, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi Corporate Customer (advocate) support is totally worthless. No return phone calls , follow up action or support. With the issues we have had with this car, we approached Audi to see if they would give us reasonable consideration to trade it for a 2019 A 6, Sticker MSRP $62,700, Our Price $59,248, , S 5 trade $51,000 which later moved to $52,000. Audi Corporate would not give any consideration to dealer in buying this car back. Said there is NO reason for doing so. I must say the Audi sales folks at this dealer were very helpful and apologetic in this matter . Having been a BMW owner for 25 years, having owned several 3 series, 540i and still own 750il, I am going back to BMW.

Last edited by Kona12A; 01-12-2019 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Audi Corporate tends to make these arrangements with clients directly, but, dealers can step in and advocate - I've done it for people (I'm in PA too, just the other end of the state). If I can help make an A6 deal happen for you, lmk, happy to do so, and I have multiple spec A6's (and many other cars) in stock

I too have had multiple BMWs (wouldn't work for them, and, wouldn't buy another, but that's for another day!) - so, YMMV, like most things in life.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still can't fathom that Audi or Honda or any other make that uses Turbo engines thinks gas in the oil is acceptable and can't figure out what causes it and how to fix it. Like they didn't know that some customers would take short trips.

I searched my SAAB forum for gas in oil and there were a few posts about it. A few in the last 15-20 years. And Audi can't figure it out? If my wife didn't insist on the tech and overall look of the A5 Sportback I would be inclined to look elsewhere. BTW, she takes a lot of short trips and drives around 4000 miles per year! Am I screwed?

if you take a lot of short trips does a longer hot run remove any gas buildup?

Last edited by Wildcat UA; 01-09-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Apparently not, as the last time we took the car to the dealer after removing 9 quarts of "gas saturated oil" out of the car and the service techs said the car tested fine, no problems, on our way back home driving approximately 81 miles (mostly highway) the "Max Oil Light Sensor" & warning signals come back on and oil dip stick smells like gas! Car towed back to dealer and is still sitting there after being serviced for the 4th time for this problem(this service changed oil sensor, compression test, etc).
Waiting to hear back from BMW dealership on trading car for 540xi. I am so done with Audi BS!
Old 01-10-2019, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Hard to believe that excess fuel is escaping past piston rings in today's tight (even if worn) engines, tight fuel A/F control and efficient blow by gas extraction. This may have happened in the pre-emission control engines of the 60's and maybe that is how the story begins. Not questioning that some find fuel in oil but the mechanism is likely different e.g. faulty injector. If so that is potentially a very dangerous situation. and should be flagged by very high gas use.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, its been my thought all along after talking to several mechanics that the problem is in the injector(s), however Audi Corporate Techs have not authorized inspection of same. Getting close to buying 2019 540 xi. And my wife really like the Audi, too bad.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Purchase of 2019 BMW 540 xi done deal, see ya AUDI FOR GOOD!!

Quick Reply: 2018 S5 gas in oil