2019 RS 5 Dynamic Steering option?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 RS 5 Dynamic Steering option?

Looking at 2019 RS 5 and only one in my area has this option on the sticker called Dynamic Steering listed for $1,150. Saleman did not seem to knowledgeable. If anyone has this option your input would be greatly appreaciated.
Also, It comes with 20" SUMMER Tires and I will need to change them out, and suggestions? and are these 20" SUMMER tires how many months are they good for? Storing these tires are another issue for me.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2019, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...namic-steering

The above describes technically what it is. It's a very good system, but often misunderstood and rejected by many w/o trying it first, because many think a changing steering ratio leads to confusing steering input, which is not true. In case of the RS5, the ratio is variable in Comfort and Auto mode. Perfect for daily driving and long distance highway cruising. It reduces the steering input required to turn and makes it easier to maneuver the car at low speeds. At highway speeds it improves straight line stability. In Dynamic mode, the steering ratio doesn't change. It locks at a fairly direct ratio. More direct than the standard steering, making it more sporty and more responsive for hard driving. I have it on my 2013 RS5 and it's one of the best things about the car. It also integrates with the ESP and the sport differential. The system can make minor corrections to allow the front tires to hook properly and compensate with the sport differential to further reduce the understeer tendency of these cars.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...namic-steering

It also integrates with the ESP and the sport differential. The system can make minor corrections to allow the front tires to hook properly and compensate with the sport differential to further reduce the understeer tendency of these cars.
Knowing this, this should be a must have option for an RS5.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So how much does the ratio actually change from lock to lock slow mph vs high mph?
Old 02-14-2019, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Verybumpy
So how much does the ratio actually change from lock to lock slow mph vs high mph?
I don't know if they changed for the B9, but for the B8, the ratio can change from as direct as 9:1 to as indirect as 18:1, so a change of 100%. In Dynamic mode it locks at 14.3:1 compared to the standard steering fixed ratio of 15.7:1. I could be slight off after the decimal point. I'm recalling the numbers from memory.

The ratio changes very smoothly and predictable. At least after a while one's muscle memory has no issue knowing how far to turn the steering wheel for a given turning radius and speed. It comes quite natural. The only obvious way to tell the steering ratio changes is if you turn the steering wheel lock to lock while stationary in the different modes. You'll notice that it takes fewer turns in Comfort and Auto vs Dynamic and the car feels very hard to maneuver in Dynamic mode, once you got used to the more direct ratios in Comfort and Auto mode during low speed maneuvers.

My favorite mode for daily driving is Auto with the sport differential in Dynamic. That's how I've setup my Individual mode and it stays there for 90% of driving. On road trips or long highway journeys I put everything in Comfort mode, and when I drive on a fun, twisty road I put it all in Dynamic for consistent steering input at rapidly changing speeds. Each mode has a clear purpose with the Dynamic steering, which is not something I can say about the standard steering. I find the standard steering just artificially adds weight w/o changing the actual dynamics of the steering for the task at hand.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You for info. My 2016 A7 Prestige (love it) but warranty is ending this Sept and looking for a change. Have not taken a test drive yet 2019 RS 5 and that will tell all, Chemistry you know.