A 5 Sportback: Homelink only works with the car turned on. Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A 5 Sportback: Homelink only works with the car turned on. Is this normal?

I love my new A5 Sportback, but the homelink only works with the car on. Which means I have to start the car while the garage door is still down. Then once the engine is running, i can raise the door to exit the garage. Is this normal, or is there a setting where i can change it to allow the homelink to work with the car off? Thanks for any feedback!
Old 03-02-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Normal, cannot change.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Technically you dont have to turn over the engine just press the start button without your foot on the brakes open thr garage door then step on the brake and press the start button again to prevent soot stains on your door.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:28 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Drive4show
I love my new A5 Sportback, but the homelink only works with the car on. Which means I have to start the car while the garage door is still down. Then once the engine is running, i can raise the door to exit the garage. Is this normal, or is there a setting where i can change it to allow the homelink to work with the car off? Thanks for any feedback!
As the 2 previous members have already answered, this is normal. I get around it one of two ways:

1) If it’s nice weather, I use the wall-mounted garage door button located next to the door from my house.

2) If the weather is cold / wet / miserable, I still have my LiftMaster remote mounted on my sun visor and after I get into the car and close the door, I just push the button on the LiftMaster remote. Once the door goes up a foot or two, I’ll start the engine and back out.

As always, YMMV.

— John
Old 03-02-2019, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skubeeraw
Technically you dont have to turn over the engine just press the start button without your foot on the brakes open thr garage door then step on the brake and press the start button again to prevent soot stains on your door.
Disappointing that there isn't a setting to resolve this, but thanks for the excellent responses!
Old 03-03-2019, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

It's a security feature?
Old 03-03-2019, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Drive4show
Disappointing that there isn't a setting to resolve this, but thanks for the excellent responses!
The idea is so that someone can't break your car window then open your garage. It will work in accessory mode without the engine running.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I understand why Audi did this, but it's fairly annoying.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very annoying. None of my other cars behaved this way. I have to remember to close the garage before I turn off the car. Even with the music playing it will not close.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skubeeraw
I just start the car with the garage door closed, then open it. No one is going to get CO poisoning from 10 seconds of indoor running.

Quick Reply: A 5 Sportback: Homelink only works with the car turned on. Is this normal?