9.6% off 2018 Audi A5 Sportback - good deal?

Old 11-17-2018, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9.6% off 2018 Audi A5 Sportback - good deal?

I have just inked a contract and made a $1,000 deposit to secure a 2018 A5 Sportback Premium Plus. The deal is decent but I feel like it could have been better.

Deal is signed so perhaps there isn't much I can do unless I sabotage the contract, but generally or based on your opinions, is 9.6% markdown a good deal for end of year model?

The MSRP is $ 53,375.00 - after negotiating and with rebates, including $1,000 through Audi Financial, total price downs to 48,250, which is roughly 9.6% off MSRP, before tax and registration.
Its $ 51,980 with tax and registration, making it only 2.6% off MSRP.
The car has been sitting at a dealership for about 50 days, which is relatively one of the freshest in the current inventory and has every feature that I want except ventilated seats and black interior color (anyone fan of brown interior? lol).

I have requested to finance about 22,000 after making a down payment - but do not know the APR rate yet. Presumably 4,99%, and if I am qualified for either College Graduate Program, First Time Buyer Program or Foreign Business Professionals Program the rate will go down, though I will probably get 18 months term based on my visa status. The contract was subject to financial approval, so if I do not get approved I can possibly bail out or re-negotiate.

Although I signed for a beautiful car, strangely I wasn't feeling too happy while walking out of the dealership - I felt little bit rushed and played by a veteran dealer because I was also considering to build a 2019 year model and was even ready to sign anything until next month or January. I was told that I would not get anything near the discounts I am getting on this 2018 - likely just pushing me to buy 2018 so they can clear out the inventory. I have been constantly fighting with myself today that maybe waiting for a 2019 would have been a better deal given that I can build, get a fresh one out of factory and one year newer - though I plan to keep this car for very long time, maybe with the discounts I get would hurt me more later if I have to sell the car in few years due to an unseen situation. Even saving few hundreds means a lot to me, and I just can't decide if I should be happy or not based on this deal.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

If you won't be happy with the car don't buy it. I got my 2018 S5 coupe because it leased out really well and I'm glad it's gone now and I'm driving what I wanted in the first place. Even though it's a good deal, I don't think I'd settle for spending $50k+.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shon.C
...... generally or based on your opinions, is 9.6% markdown a good deal for end of year model? YES

You can probably bail out easily. At worst if might cost you $1,000 but probably not.

Although I signed for a beautiful car, strangely I wasn't feeling too happy while walking out of the dealership - I felt little bit rushed and played by a veteran dealer Common but usually unrealistic

I would not get anything near the discounts I am getting on this 2018 - They are telling you true!

I have been constantly fighting with myself today that maybe waiting for a 2019 would have been a better deal Probably not, just buyers remorse, and the wait for a 2019 will be long and painful.

I just can't decide if I should be happy or not based on this deal. Seems like a reasonable deal, but only you can choose to be happy...or not.
Good luck, whatever you decide!
Old 11-18-2018, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Shon.C
I have just inked a contract and made a $1,000 deposit to secure a 2018 A5 Sportback Premium Plus. The deal is decent but I feel like it could have been better.

Deal is signed so perhaps there isn't much I can do unless I sabotage the contract, but generally or based on your opinions, is 9.6% markdown a good deal for end of year model?

The MSRP is $ 53,375.00 - after negotiating and with rebates, including $1,000 through Audi Financial, total price downs to 48,250, which is roughly 9.6% off MSRP, before tax and registration.
Its $ 51,980 with tax and registration, making it only 2.6% off MSRP.
The car has been sitting at a dealership for about 50 days, which is relatively one of the freshest in the current inventory and has every feature that I want except ventilated seats and black interior color (anyone fan of brown interior? lol).

I have requested to finance about 22,000 after making a down payment - but do not know the APR rate yet. Presumably 4,99%, and if I am qualified for either College Graduate Program, First Time Buyer Program or Foreign Business Professionals Program the rate will go down, though I will probably get 18 months term based on my visa status. The contract was subject to financial approval, so if I do not get approved I can possibly bail out or re-negotiate.

Although I signed for a beautiful car, strangely I wasn't feeling too happy while walking out of the dealership - I felt little bit rushed and played by a veteran dealer because I was also considering to build a 2019 year model and was even ready to sign anything until next month or January. I was told that I would not get anything near the discounts I am getting on this 2018 - likely just pushing me to buy 2018 so they can clear out the inventory. I have been constantly fighting with myself today that maybe waiting for a 2019 would have been a better deal given that I can build, get a fresh one out of factory and one year newer - though I plan to keep this car for very long time, maybe with the discounts I get would hurt me more later if I have to sell the car in few years due to an unseen situation. Even saving few hundreds means a lot to me, and I just can't decide if I should be happy or not based on this deal.
Of course they are pushing to get rid of inventory, that’s a dealer’s job on a daily basis. It starts January 1 and ends December 31. Sell every piece of inventory is a daily mission in sales, no matter if it’s timber or cars or plants or plots of land.

They are right, you won’t get anywhere near the incentives being offered now come January or Feb or March or April, the next time you’ll see the incentives stacked as such is July and August for Summer of Audi. You also can’t lock in incentives early, they are what they are at time of delivery. So you could wait till March and order and hope they have allocation to even place an order, or, get the car now, and enjoy it. If the potential of worrying about what might happen down the road factors into a decision to buy a car, then buying this car at all is probably the wrong thing. A car purchase should not put you in any potential financial risk. It’s just a car after all, albeit a nice one. I promise you no one in life cares what you drive except you. If “what happens if” is part of your decision making process, then the real smart thing to do is buy something that takes that risk off the table completely.

As for “the deal”, it’s always a relative thing, like most other things in life. The discount post tax is irrelevant..the dealer has no control over that, it is what it is. The item is their domain and the only thing they control price over. Sales tax is not part of the deal, as it’s not negotiable.

Just remember for everyone who gets a legit 9.6% off the car (straight deal no trade), there is someone who will claim 18%, without really showing the details....and others who got significantly less. Time should also be a factor, as I can think of few things most people like to do than spend it buying a car. Everyone gets to decide for themselves at what point money saved and time spent intersect.

The other thing is the car gets noticeably more expensive in 2019, and much of that depends on the options you spec and whether the new standard equipment and package range suits you better than the 2018. Only you can decide that.

Last edited by SCarGuy; 11-18-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you're in the US that's not too bad a deal, it's probably dealer invoice, but that's not their cost since they get all sorts of marketing incentives etc. They should know immeduetoy if you qualify for one of those discount programs which should be on top of the price you negotiate with the dealer. Audi also has a $750 extra incentive program plus it's a 18, which if you plan to keep it means it's a model year old when you buy it, 1 years depreciation. Bottom line if you like the car which it sounds like you don't, it's close but not a great deal. Feeling uneasy about the dealer is a bad sign, I don't do business with people I don't like. Remember there's service etc.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

PS, you said you don't like the brown interior, why buy a car with an interior you'll be looking at every day you don't like, at that point the "deal" is not a factor in my opinion.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I think nearly 10% is a great deal as long as you get what you want including a fair price for your trade if you have one. The down side of waiting too long is that you might not get the package you want. To me the lack of certain features i want is a deal breaker.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Having brown interior color was not something that I hated nor a deal breaker - I simply preferred gray. However I started liking Nougat brown on my A5 as it looks pretty premium and probably I do not have to worry about it being colored. I had to pay a little more than $50k for a Premium Plus with every package that I wanted except ventilated seats and I think that is a fair deal especially considering that some features on the 18 have become standard on the 19's so there is a quite huge increase in the starting price on the latter model. I was hoping I could get the Prestige for only about 2k or more but white Prestige was sold out in my area. I can live without HUD, ventilated seats, surround view camera, and adaptive cruise control, but I was quite disappointing that Audi A5 has a lot of harder materials in its cabin. I mean, my Volkswagen base model CC even had leatherette armrest. Prestige had leatherette wrap armrest and center console but maybe I can replace these later. Overall I think A5 is really good looking and packed with some cool technologies. I guess I asked bunch of questions to minimize buyer's remorse or any regrets later on, considering the fact that I dropped $50k on a car which I plan to keep for at least half a decade, and my budget was originally $45k hoping to get fully loaded Genesis G70 2.0T.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I wonder if anybody got 10% off on a 2018 in Canada. I fought hard to to finally get 5% on a 2019.