A5 Sportback - Noisy Privacy Cover- in trunk area

Old 12-20-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 Sportback - Noisy Privacy Cover- in trunk area

The privacy panel cover in the rear of the A5 Sportback makes alot of noise when going over bumps. The cover fits into a couple of pins(posts) on the lift frame. The install seems far to loose and causes the noise.

Suggestions?
Old 12-20-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It's pretty tight on my S5 sportback. Maybe try flip it around to make sure it's installed the right way?
Old 12-22-2018, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a similar issue with my s5sb. I took everything out of the trunk, spare tire,tools,privacy cover,etc and the noise is still there. When I go over any bump on the road it makes the noise. It seems to be a non metallic sound. The car is only 2 months old. I took it to the dealership 2 weeks ago and I've make another appt for Dec. 27. Hopefully they can fix the issue.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a thread talking about this. The culprit is a weld join where the rear of the car meets the strut towers. Dealers know how to reinforce it.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I couldn't find anything
Old 12-22-2018, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25162972
Old 12-23-2018, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by PquinS5
I have a similar issue with my s5sb. I took everything out of the trunk, spare tire,tools,privacy cover,etc and the noise is still there. When I go over any bump on the road it makes the noise. It seems to be a non metallic sound. The car is only 2 months old. I took it to the dealership 2 weeks ago and I've make another appt for Dec. 27. Hopefully they can fix the issue.
I'm taking mine in for the 3rd time on Wed. for this. First time they thought it was the cargo cover and replaced it (even though I told them I'd driven without it and the sound was still there) - the new cover did not fix it. I had an A5 SB loaner for that visit, and the loaner had the same issue.Second time they thought it was my rear license plate/frame rattling against the plastic base plate - they added 2 bottom screws and said they drove it and the noise was gone, but I picked it up and drove it less than half a mile, and "rattle" was still there.

I'd reached out to another forum member who had the same issue and had it fixed, and here are his notes on how the tech isolated & fixed his issue:

CAUSE: Insulate loud speaker and actuator motor, TAC CAS JW-379457

1074 trunks latch motor and push pin for bracket for right rear speaker on upper d-pillar. Customer states thumping/knocking noise coming from the passenger rear over bumps. Test drive hear noise from right rear when sitting in drivers seat. Check for tsbs found none apply. RR right rear luggage trim including tools and test drive multiple times. Could not pinpoint noise it sounds like it can be the rear lid or right rear shock. Next I adjusted the rear lid and swapped the left and right rear shocks and tires. Noise is still on the right side. At this point, I contacted tech line JW-379457 the info that was given was helpful but did not apply to this vehicle. Attach chassis ears and drive car. Over the next couple of days I attached chassis ears in multiple locations still could not pinpoint the noise do to the fact it would come and go also the bumpy street was very short and would not make the noise for more than a brief second. I removed the rear lid trim and d-pillar trim went for a ride with another tech and did not hear anything. Waited for car to get cold and then test drove with tech again with me riding in the trunk. Hear noise coming from rear deck lid. Remove weight from lid , still making noise. Removed trunk latch motor and found an impact spot on the rear lid. Test drive and noise now is mostly gone, but still hear plastic type rattle coming from the passenger rear. At this point I removed the plastic tool holder and insulated under it with Audi approved tape. Test drive noise issues still there and now I drove for about 20 mins searching for a road where I can get the noise to happen for a bit longer. Reconnect chassis ears putting them on multiple locations can not get noise to happen. Day before car is released I went for. Ride with another tech and could not hear noise. I took it by myself and still hear a rattle from the right rear. Checking the right rear upper speaker on d-pillar. I found that it is held in with two push pins. The lower most push pin was not pushed into the body all the way. I insulated the plastic bracket for the speaker and body. Attached the speaker and drive car. No noise was heard. The thumping and rattle noise are gone. I reassembled the car, checked and cleared any faults I created and I am releasing the car. So to confirm I found that the rear trunk latch motor that is mounted on 3 rubber bushing was impacting the trunk lid. Also found the right rear speaker on the upper d-pillar is held in by 1st sliding into a channel and then two push pins hold the bracket in place. The lower of the 2 push pins was not pushed into the body all the way causing the noise.

I had presented the above to my service advisor on both of my previous visits, and will PUSH for them to review both of these issues on my next, and hopefully final, visit for this on Wed.

One of the previous posters referenced a "weld issue" - if it is a weld issue, then it might be cause for a buy back. A guy I work with had a new Tiguan that had a "ticking" sound that he brought the vehicle in multiple times for and dealer could not fix - they ultimately determined it was a weld issue in the roof and VW bought the car back.

I've been "living" with this issue for almost 10k miles and it's beginning to drive me nuts
Old 12-23-2018, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default This tech is my hero

Originally Posted by audi40
I'm taking mine in for the 3rd time on Wed. for this. First time they thought it was the cargo cover and replaced it (even though I told them I'd driven without it and the sound was still there) - the new cover did not fix it. I had an A5 SB loaner for that visit, and the loaner had the same issue.Second time they thought it was my rear license plate/frame rattling against the plastic base plate - they added 2 bottom screws and said they drove it and the noise was gone, but I picked it up and drove it less than half a mile, and "rattle" was still there.

I'd reached out to another forum member who had the same issue and had it fixed, and here are his notes on how the tech isolated & fixed his issue:

CAUSE: Insulate loud speaker and actuator motor, TAC CAS JW-379457

1074 trunks latch motor and push pin for bracket for right rear speaker on upper d-pillar. Customer states thumping/knocking noise coming from the passenger rear over bumps. Test drive hear noise from right rear when sitting in drivers seat. Check for tsbs found none apply. RR right rear luggage trim including tools and test drive multiple times. Could not pinpoint noise it sounds like it can be the rear lid or right rear shock. Next I adjusted the rear lid and swapped the left and right rear shocks and tires. Noise is still on the right side. At this point, I contacted tech line JW-379457 the info that was given was helpful but did not apply to this vehicle. Attach chassis ears and drive car. Over the next couple of days I attached chassis ears in multiple locations still could not pinpoint the noise do to the fact it would come and go also the bumpy street was very short and would not make the noise for more than a brief second. I removed the rear lid trim and d-pillar trim went for a ride with another tech and did not hear anything. Waited for car to get cold and then test drove with tech again with me riding in the trunk. Hear noise coming from rear deck lid. Remove weight from lid , still making noise. Removed trunk latch motor and found an impact spot on the rear lid. Test drive and noise now is mostly gone, but still hear plastic type rattle coming from the passenger rear. At this point I removed the plastic tool holder and insulated under it with Audi approved tape. Test drive noise issues still there and now I drove for about 20 mins searching for a road where I can get the noise to happen for a bit longer. Reconnect chassis ears putting them on multiple locations can not get noise to happen. Day before car is released I went for. Ride with another tech and could not hear noise. I took it by myself and still hear a rattle from the right rear. Checking the right rear upper speaker on d-pillar. I found that it is held in with two push pins. The lower most push pin was not pushed into the body all the way. I insulated the plastic bracket for the speaker and body. Attached the speaker and drive car. No noise was heard. The thumping and rattle noise are gone. I reassembled the car, checked and cleared any faults I created and I am releasing the car. So to confirm I found that the rear trunk latch motor that is mounted on 3 rubber bushing was impacting the trunk lid. Also found the right rear speaker on the upper d-pillar is held in by 1st sliding into a channel and then two push pins hold the bracket in place. The lower of the 2 push pins was not pushed into the body all the way causing the noise.

I had presented the above to my service advisor on both of my previous visits, and will PUSH for them to review both of these issues on my next, and hopefully final, visit for this on Wed.

One of the previous posters referenced a "weld issue" - if it is a weld issue, then it might be cause for a buy back. A guy I work with had a new Tiguan that had a "ticking" sound that he brought the vehicle in multiple times for and dealer could not fix - they ultimately determined it was a weld issue in the roof and VW bought the car back.

I've been "living" with this issue for almost 10k miles and it's beginning to drive me nuts
He really went the extra mile to find this rattle. I have OCD with rattles and I firmly believe there needs to be special training for mechanics to be able to find them. This guy methodically worked until he found it. He should be used as an example for other techs that don't seem to 'bother'.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Costasz
He really went the extra mile to find this rattle. I have OCD with rattles and I firmly believe there needs to be special training for mechanics to be able to find them. This guy methodically worked until he found it. He should be used as an example for other techs that don't seem to 'bother'.
Agree, the tech went above and beyond to pinpoint this. When I go back on Wed., I am scheduled to ride with the tech so I can show him exactly what I'm hearing, and will certainly present this info. to them again. The AW member who provided this info. described the sound as similar to a "golf ball in a plastic bucket", which I think perfectly describes it,

Last edited by audi40; 12-23-2018 at 02:47 PM.