Audi battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Our Audi A6 battery lasted 12 years

Originally Posted by rccoleman
The battery in my old Lexus only had a guaranteed 3-year life, and Audi may be similar. I don't see anything in the manual and don't want to dig around in the trunk, but the battery is often one of the areas that car manufacturers skimp on. Like a lot of things now, they want to cover leases and then you're on your own.
It was a ginormous VARTA battery
Old 01-31-2019, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Verybumpy
Can the OBDEleven tool properly register a new 12v car battery in Audi's?
If so, is there a source somewhere explaining the procedure?
I would like to know this also.

FWIW, my service advisor claims Audi batteries usually last 8 years or so before needing replacement.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Verybumpy
I would like to know this also.

FWIW, my service advisor claims Audi batteries usually last 8 years or so before needing replacement.
Good to hear that they didn't cut costs there. I'd go check mine out if it wasn't buried deep in the trunk
Old 02-03-2019, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Costasz
Car needs to know it's a new battery so that it will change the way it charges it. Car battery tech has not caught up with laptop/phone batteries where they report their level of charge to the host environment.
Batteries in all my Audis have typically lasted way longer than any laptop or cell phone battery ever has. And the car knows exactly what the level of charge is at all times; it is critical to how the start/stop system works. And to when the car starts to shut down various sensor components (eg keyless entry) if the car has been sitting for several days. Obviously the weather plays a role in longevity and issues, batteries suffer in cold temperatures.

When it comes to batteries and extracting more money from customers, I would be rather more cynical about Apple, by example, than Audi.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glisse
Batteries in all my Audis have typically lasted way longer than any laptop or cell phone battery ever has. And the car knows exactly what the level of charge is at all times; it is critical to how the start/stop system works. And to when the car starts to shut down various sensor components (eg keyless entry) if the car has been sitting for several days. Obviously the weather plays a role in longevity and issues, batteries suffer in cold temperatures.

When it comes to batteries and extracting more money from customers, I would be rather more cynical about Apple, by example, than Audi.
haha, Apple and car batteries not a good comparison, totally different technology and applications.

But you are right about weather. Our 120 degree heat in Arizona in the summer and gets even hotter under a hood with a turbo, batteries have rarely lasted me 3 years (in a SAAB, not Audi battery).
Many people think that cold weather kills a battery, cold weather just exposes that a battery is weak.

And I doubt Audi batteries are special, only a few companies that make them in US (and not that many more in the rest of the world) and only a few different types of technology.
Indeed, Varta is owned by Johnson Controls, one of three manufacturers in the US.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by almng
When changing a battery on my 2014 A5 does it need to registered like Bmw requires ?
It totally depends. If the battery is to the point that the car went into a low voltage mode, then yes you will have to code the new battery or the car will not ever get out of that low voltage mode. If the batter was replaced without the car going into low voltage mode, then no worries, you'll be fine just swapping in a new battery.