Audi S5 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S5 4.2

I am looking into buying a 2009 Audi S5 4.2 automatic. I have found the perfect car for the right price however the previous owner has had the service done by himself for the past 6 years and they were only done every 2 years.

He has only covered up to 4000 a year max and told me he hasn't serviced it as he has hardly used it and that it would of been pointless. Audi say it should be done every year regardless of usage.

Should i run or consider it?

Cheers
Old 04-09-2019, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Tunechievers
I am looking into buying a 2009 Audi S5 4.2 automatic. I have found the perfect car for the right price however the previous owner has had the service done by himself for the past 6 years and they were only done every 2 years.

He has only covered up to 4000 a year max and told me he hasn't serviced it as he has hardly used it and that it would of been pointless. Audi say it should be done every year regardless of usage.

Should i run or consider it?

Cheers
When you buy a used car you are buying into a level of trust with the previous owner.

Did he keep the car garaged? Was it presented well, etc... As far a yearly maintenance is concerned that can be a red herring and the seller has a point. Many of the maintenance items such as check hoses, etc are pretty rudimentary.

However, before purchasing I'd make sure you get a ppi (pre-purchase inspection) also get all fluids and filters changed - oil, air, cabin, transmission, etc...
Old 04-09-2019, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The main thing I am concerned about is that he has only replaced the oil at every service interval himself. Some 2 years apart and some just over 2 years before changing.

He is a mobile mechanic and owns his own company. He has also had it walnut blasted (apparently a better carbon clean) so I seems like he has taken good care of the car.

would this affect me when it comes to re sell? Some people would argue it is part service not full service history?
Old 04-09-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Tunechievers
The main thing I am concerned about is that he has only replaced the oil at every service interval himself. Some 2 years apart and some just over 2 years before changing.

He is a mobile mechanic and owns his own company. He has also had it walnut blasted (apparently a better carbon clean) so I seems like he has taken good care of the car.

would this affect me when it comes to re sell? Some people would argue it is part service not full service history?
2 yrs is definetly longer than I'd wait between oil changes, but not a killer. Considering the previous owner carbon cleaned correctly and based upon his expertise (mobile mechanic), I'd say he probbly took good care of it. Your worried about resale on an 11 year old car? It's already taken the depreciation hit...also based upon the S5 with NO maintenance history I've seen for sale, I think you're already ahead.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I suppose I shouldn’t worry too much about re sale. I plan to keep the car for a while so maybe I shouldn’t worry too much about that.

There are not that many other decent S5’s for sale so I think I will go for this one. It has the Milltek valvesonic which I really like and has only 60,000 miles. Thanks for your help!