Clunking rear passager suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clunking rear passager suspension

I just pick up a new S5 sportback and I'm hearing a strange noise when going over bumps. I took a pic of the suspension and I really do not know if this is supposed to be there or not. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Old 02-13-2019, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I may have found the issue. I"m just shooting in the dark here. Does this fitment seem misaligned or am I reading too much into this. Again comments appreciated!

Old 02-14-2019, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Can you post an audio clip? One of the main culprits in our cars is the sway bar.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just posted about this on AudiZine. Those bump stops are absolutely your issue. Mine were the same way and making a heck of a racket. The top of the stop above the indention needs to be seated in the upper mount. If you jack the car up a few inches you can get your arms in there. It takes some twisting force to get them in the mount but I fixed both mine in about 15 minutes and my noise issues are 100% solved. I can't believe they could make so much noise hitting the edge of that mount but they were. I'm guess there is something happening during transport that is pulling these out of the mount.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So I went back to the dealership today and they finally adjusted the bumpstop and all is well!!! I was kid of worried that the squeaking might have been something in addition.

Last edited by ensor gumbs; 02-20-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default By any chance did it sound like this (with the seats down)?

Hey ensor_gumbs, by any chance did it sound like this (attached MP3 file) while the seats were down? I'll be taking my 2019 S5 Sportback in for the 3rd appointment soon, and I feel like I'm doing more research than the dealer, ha ha. It'd be sweet if it were the same issue. I've been telling them repeatedly that it sounds like when you have a bad strut, but they are brand new cars!

Nice car by the way, good choice, here's mine!

Attached Files
Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TmansAudi
Hey ensor_gumbs, by any chance did it sound like this (attached MP3 file) while the seats were down? I'll be taking my 2019 S5 Sportback in for the 3rd appointment soon, and I feel like I'm doing more research than the dealer, ha ha. It'd be sweet if it were the same issue. I've been telling them repeatedly that it sounds like when you have a bad strut, but they are brand new cars!

Nice car by the way, good choice, here's mine!

Yeah twin! Look good. It’s a amazing car. Can’t wait to get to 100 miles to really push it. Yup that sounds pretty much like it. When I took it in they only fix one side and I had to go back a second time to have them fix it. The second time I took a ride with the tech to ensure it was gone.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank god I found this post. I just replaced the rear shocks in my A4 and I have the same type of noise. SO ANNOYING. Hopefully it's just the bump stop seating. You would think the up and down on the shock being used would push the bump stop back into the mount cup.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiJay
I just posted about this on AudiZine. Those bump stops are absolutely your issue. Mine were the same way and making a heck of a racket. The top of the stop above the indention needs to be seated in the upper mount. If you jack the car up a few inches you can get your arms in there. It takes some twisting force to get them in the mount but I fixed both mine in about 15 minutes and my noise issues are 100% solved. I can't believe they could make so much noise hitting the edge of that mount but they were. I'm guess there is something happening during transport that is pulling these out of the mount.

Do u have the link to the audizine post ?
Old 11-16-2019, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by RRHMJ23
Do u have the link to the audizine post ?
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ear-suspension

Quick Reply: Clunking rear passager suspension