Factory Order Expectations

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Order Expectations

i placed a factory order for a S5 sportback in early February. Earlier this week I reached out to the dealership to see if there were any developments on my order and make an option change. Originally when I put down my deposit they said an order takes about 4 months. That tracks to May and now they tell me June. Shouldn’t they have an build date by now? Or at least tell me that the order was accepted by Audi? I’m not getting a feeling of real transparency to this process. Why are there still so few S models at the delearships in my area? I’m in Canada.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2019, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

It could be a dealership allocation issue.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryJerri
i placed a factory order for a S5 sportback in early February. Earlier this week I reached out to the dealership to see if there were any developments on my order and make an option change. Originally when I put down my deposit they said an order takes about 4 months. That tracks to May and now they tell me June. Shouldn’t they have an build date by now? Or at least tell me that the order was accepted by Audi? I’m not getting a feeling of real transparency to this process. Why are there still so few S models at the delearships in my area? I’m in Canada.

I put my order in mid-January and they told me that was the last chance for the batch that arrives in April. Late February I was told the car is built and ready ship and they gave me the VIN number. Arrival date is late April last I heard. So it seems your timeline is similar to mine, if I had ordered any later it seems my dealer would have told me May/June. The cars can still get delayed in shipping and customs, who knows. My A4 took like 6 months.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if they give higher priority to building cars to place on dealers lots to attract more buyers than on those of us who have already committed by placing an order. They know they have our sale.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

On the order status page in their system, if the status says Waitlisted then the dealer probably doesn't have an allocation yet. One of the things you need to ask when placing an order is if they have an allocation that they can modify. Sometimes they may not have one right away but if it is a volume model they should be able to get one soon. Audi releases allocations at the beginning of every month. I had placed an order with one dealer who admitted they didn't have any allocation but assured me that they would trade allocation with another dealership within a week for my order, the sales guy was so confident like it not an issue at all. A week later they hadn't managed to trade allocations so sales guy says that they should get allocations in the new month. I figured next month was only 2 weeks away and I had gotten a decent deal so no harm in waiting. 2 weeks later the new month comes around and I asked them if they had any gotten any allocations that month and they admitted they didn't. I cancelled that order and went to another dealer who happened to have an allocation that was not yet frozen to changes(status said "Factory"). Some dealerships will string you along waiting to get an allocation and months later your order is still waitlisted. I would ask your dealer straight up to show you the status of the order their system. Now in Canada maybe all dealers are in the same boat so you may not have many options.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildcat UA
I wonder if they give higher priority to building cars to place on dealers lots to attract more buyers than on those of us who have already committed by placing an order. They know they have our sale.
they dont - in fact it's the other way around. Sold orders tend to arrive and clear through the port system faster than an inventory unit
Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Ordered my 2018 RS5 on March 15, 2018. Picked up on July 20, 2018. Just over 4 months.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
they dont - in fact it's the other way around. Sold orders tend to arrive and clear through the port system faster than an inventory unit
Sounds counter to what I saw. Inventory already on their way here before the ordering system went online. Maybe once they allowed ordering orders took precedence over inventory but not for the first few months, right?

Old 04-24-2019, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm, inked a deal in Canada back around the 20th of January. Was told end of March early April would be delivery. Followed up with the dealer in mid March and was told that it was awaiting production with expected delivery in July. Got an update last week, that the vehicle was built and had a vin, and waiting for logistics. Does anyone know how long it typically takes from the car being built with a VIN before shipment?
cheers!
Old 04-24-2019, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your dealer should give you an update showing build date, ship date, dock date and release to carrier date

Quick Reply: Factory Order Expectations