Retrofitting Audi Phone Box

Old 04-12-2019, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retrofitting Audi Phone Box

I found this Kufatec link

https://www.kufatec.com/en/all-produ...8w-a5-f5-42860

My RS5 SB was one of the first few produced = missing phone box

I was wondering if there's anyone else with the same issue/if they have inquired about retrofitting in the phone box.

Or does anyone know if this should still work?
Old 04-12-2019, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tjoshi View Post
I found this Kufatec link

https://www.kufatec.com/en/all-produ...8w-a5-f5-42860

My RS5 SB was one of the first few produced = missing phone box

I was wondering if there's anyone else with the same issue/if they have inquired about retrofitting in the phone box.

Or does anyone know if this should still work?
You're really not missing anything if I'm being honest. I thought having the wireless charger would be cool but the car doesn't support wireless carplay so you have to plug the phone in and that defeats the purpose of the wireless charging. If you don't use CarPlay or Android Auto then I see a benefit.
If I was in your position I think I would be a little pissed too though so I do understand where you're coming from.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evanseric21 View Post
You're really not missing anything if I'm being honest. I thought having the wireless charger would be cool but the car doesn't support wireless carplay so you have to plug the phone in and that defeats the purpose of the wireless charging. If you don't use CarPlay or Android Auto then I see a benefit.
If I was in your position I think I would be a little pissed too though so I do understand where you're coming from.
Yeah definitely, I mean i don't mind not having it at all. I'd would maybe just be a little more convenient by having it. So if it's possible to retrofit i wouldn't mind trying at all.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine came with the phone box and I like it. Not only is it a wireless charger but also a signal booster. I've seen it add 2-3 bars to my signal at times. As the previous poster said you have to plug the phone in for Carplay/Android Auto but for short trips I normally don't bother doing that and just listen to XM. For longer trips I plug the phone in and use Waze, etc. I find the phone box useful. Good luck with your retrofit if you decide to go that route.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cv640pilot View Post
Mine came with the phone box and I like it. Not only is it a wireless charger but also a signal booster. I've seen it add 2-3 bars to my signal at times. As the previous poster said you have to plug the phone in for Carplay/Android Auto but for short trips I normally don't bother doing that and just listen to XM. For longer trips I plug the phone in and use Waze, etc. I find the phone box useful. Good luck with your retrofit if you decide to go that route.
How do you know that the car is boosting your phone signal?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's in the owner's manual and I can see the number of bars change in the virtual cockpit display once the the wireless charging starts.