S5 vs A5????

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 vs A5????

I currently drive a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. I recently visited the Audi dealership in Jacksonville and checked out both
the 2018 Audi s5 and the 2018 Audi a5. The salesman gave me a ride in the s5 and it was mind-blowing. I am unsure of whether
to pay the extra money for the s5 or buy the a5 and tune it. The only reason I am in love with the 2018 model is due to the new cockpit tech
and the new interior they have rolled out. Should I maybe just buy an earlier year and look for an rs5? I am completely new to the Audi world,
hopefully, someone can help me out.

TIA

Old 02-10-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

^^
You need to also drive the A5, to determine what best suits your needs and budget. Go to different Audi dealerships if you have a few in the area, to get as much seat time as possible, and perhaps also to get test drives without the sales person sitting next to you. If you are planning to get an A5 specifically with the intention of tuning it, then get an S5 and don't tune it. Don't risk your warranty or your bank account, as these cars are expensive to fix if something goes wrong.

Drive some competitor cars, as they will provide you with a better benchmark than your current Hyundai. The Mercedes-AMG C43 and the BMW 440i are direct competitors at a similar price point to an S5. Even if you don't like those from a design viewpoint, it will help identify any strengths and weaknesses with the Audi, and for you to develop a priority list of what is most important to you. Be aware the BMW is on the verge of being replaced by a completely new model.

I assume you want the A5/S5 coupé? Try and drive a Sportback as well, they have a different wheelbase and don't feel exactly the same. The price is the same, although I think the coupé is discounted more than the Sportback. Check that out in these forums.

The previous (B8 series) RS5 is a great car, but very different to the B9 models. No low down torque, lots of top end power. Expensive to maintain. Doesn't have the technology and interior that is "The only reason I am in love with the 2018 model is due to the new cockpit tech and the new interior they have rolled out.", so it doesn't seem to make any sense for you to be looking at the previous model.

Keep taking test drives until you are sure of the one you like. Read through this forum for several hours. It is littered with a few people who seem to have bought their specific model impulsively, then complain about it relentlessly. Don't be one of them. Don't rush, take your time, don't let a dealership pressure you.

Measure twice, cut once. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
^^
You need to also drive the A5, to determine what best suits your needs and budget. Go to different Audi dealerships if you have a few in the area, to get as much seat time as possible, and perhaps also to get test drives without the sales person sitting next to you. If you are planning to get an A5 specifically with the intention of tuning it, then get an S5 and don't tune it. Don't risk your warranty or your bank account, as these cars are expensive to fix if something goes wrong.

Drive some competitor cars, as they will provide you with a better benchmark than your current Hyundai. The Mercedes-AMG C43 and the BMW 440i are direct competitors at a similar price point to an S5. Even if you don't like those from a design viewpoint, it will help identify any strengths and weaknesses with the Audi, and for you to develop a priority list of what is most important to you. Be aware the BMW is on the verge of being replaced by a completely new model.

I assume you want the A5/S5 coupé? Try and drive a Sportback as well, they have a different wheelbase and don't feel exactly the same. The price is the same, although I think the coupé is discounted more than the Sportback. Check that out in these forums.

The previous (B8 series) RS5 is a great car, but very different to the B9 models. No low down torque, lots of top end power. Expensive to maintain. Doesn't have the technology and interior that is "The only reason I am in love with the 2018 model is due to the new cockpit tech and the new interior they have rolled out.", so it doesn't seem to make any sense for you to be looking at the previous model.

Keep taking test drives until you are sure of the one you like. Read through this forum for several hours. It is littered with a few people who seem to have bought their specific model impulsively, then complain about it relentlessly. Don't be one of them. Don't rush, take your time, don't let a dealership pressure you.

Measure twice, cut once. Good luck.
Hey, thank you for your reply. Honestly, I just don't know enough about the older audis. I agree I do need to test drive as much as possible, and also test the competition. The tech isn't mandatory. I'd rather have more power than the tech honestly. I started looking into older RS5/ S5 models. I really want something that isn't a pain to keep up, but that will also be a good daily driver and something that scats. What type of Audi do you own?*
Old 02-10-2019, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mw1514
Hey, thank you for your reply. Honestly, I just don't know enough about the older audis. I agree I do need to test drive as much as possible, and also test the competition. The tech isn't mandatory. I'd rather have more power than the tech honestly. I started looking into older RS5/ S5 models. I really want something that isn't a pain to keep up, but that will also be a good daily driver and something that scats. What type of Audi do you own?*
They are in my signature, guess you are using a phone:

B9 S5 Sportback, Tiptronic, Sport diff, ABT Power
B9 S5 Cabriolet, Tiptronic, Sport diff
B8 S5 Cabriolet, S tronic, Sport diff - gone
C7 A7 3.0TFSI S/Line, S tronic, Sport diff - gone
C6 A6 quattro 3.0TDI, manual - gone
B7 A4 Cabriolet quattro 1.8TFSI, Abt Tuned, manual - gone

For most people, in most conditions, a B9 S5 will be faster than a B8 RS5 as it has much more low down torque, if that is what is important to you. The older B8 RS5 doesn't start to come alive until 4500rpm, and then screams up to 8000rpm+. Wonderful sound and throttle response ( no forced induction to dull everything down), and power/torque curves that really suit a dual sequential transmission which is super quick and feels razor sharp. But this is not how most people tend to drive. It is also very firm in terms of ride, etc. As a daily driver, many would not like it.

If size is not an issue, and you want power, then maybe also look at an RS3. They are much quicker than the old RS5 at anything below highly illegal speeds in the US, and almost as quick as the new B9 RS5. Whether you would find an RS3 comfortable enough as a daily driver vs an S5 is an individual choice, but there is a large difference in refinement between the two IMO.

I can't judge your need for speed. A B9 A5 will feel like a rocket ship compared to your current car, depends how much "more" you want.

Also, when testing these, helps to understand that Audi have various Drive Modes (Comfort/Auto/Dynamic/Individual) but they also have an engine/transmission map (D or S mode) which can be independent of the Drive Mode. You switch between D and S by a short pull back on the transmission lever - regardless of what Drive Mode the car is in. Takes about 200 milliseconds or less to change between D and S mode, although strangely there seem to be some owners who struggle with this added functionality. Depends how much you want to be involved in the driving experience, I guess.

This flexible approach is unique to Audi, and catches more than a few people out. The centre driver display will show whether you are in D or S mode, and there is a distinct difference between the two. Profound in the case of the S5 - and some find D mode too lethargic, whilst others find S mode too aggressive. And a few find both D too lethargic and S too aggressive, which means they bought the wrong car, as there are only two bowls of porridge for Goldilocks to choose from. The differences between D and S in the A5 is less extreme. An A5 driven in S mode is more responsive than an S5 driven in D mode, unless you really stick the boot in. An S5 driven in S mod feels a much more aggressive car than an A5, so depends what suits you. Only you can decide that.

You also need to understand what options are fitted to whichever car you are driving, as they will affect the behaviour within the Drive Modes. Such as Adaptive suspension, Dynamic Steering, Sports differential (S5 only). Drive, drive, then drive some more
Old 02-10-2019, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

They are in my signature, guess you are using a phone:

B9 S5 Sportback, Tiptronic, Sport diff, ABT Power
B9 S5 Cabriolet, Tiptronic, Sport diff
B8 S5 Cabriolet, S tronic, Sport diff - gone
C7 A7 3.0TFSI S/Line, S tronic, Sport diff - gone
C6 A6 quattro 3.0TDI, manual - gone
B7 A4 Cabriolet quattro 1.8TFSI, Abt Tuned, manual - gone

For most people, in most conditions, a B9 S5 will be faster than a B8 RS5 as it has much more low down torque, if that is what is important to you. The older B8 RS5 doesn't start to come alive until 4500rpm, and then screams up to 8000rpm+. Wonderful sound and throttle response ( no forced induction to dull everything down), and power/torque curves that really suit a dual sequential transmission which is super quick and feels razor sharp. But this is not how most people tend to drive. It is also very firm in terms of ride, etc. As a daily driver, many would not like it.

If size is not an issue, and you want power, then maybe also look at an RS3. They are much quicker than the old RS5 at anything below highly illegal speeds in the US, and almost as quick as the new B9 RS5. Whether you would find an RS3 comfortable enough as a daily driver vs an S5 is an individual choice, but there is a large difference in refinement between the two IMO.

I can't judge your need for speed. A B9 A5 will feel like a rocket ship compared to your current car, depends how much "more" you want.

Also, when testing these, helps to understand that Audi have various Drive Modes (Comfort/Auto/Dynamic/Individual) but they also have an engine/transmission map (D or S mode) which can be independent of the Drive Mode. You switch between D and S by a short pull back on the transmission lever - regardless of what Drive Mode the car is in. Takes about 200 milliseconds or less to change between D and S mode, although strangely there seem to be some owners who struggle with this added functionality. Depends how much you want to be involved in the driving experience, I guess.

This flexible approach is unique to Audi, and catches more than a few people out. The centre driver display will show whether you are in D or S mode, and there is a distinct difference between the two. Profound in the case of the S5 - and some find D mode too lethargic, whilst others find S mode too aggressive. And a few find both D too lethargic and S too aggressive, which means they bought the wrong car, as there are only two bowls of porridge for Goldilocks to choose from. The differences between D and S in the A5 is less extreme. An A5 driven in S mode is more responsive than an S5 driven in D mode, unless you really stick the boot in. An S5 driven in S mod feels a much more aggressive car than an A5, so depends what suits you. Only you can decide that.

You also need to understand what options are fitted to whichever car you are driving, as they will affect the behaviour within the Drive Modes. Such as Adaptive suspension, Dynamic Steering, Sports differential (S5 only). Drive, drive, then drive some more
Yes I am using my phone. You have so much knowledge about the audi brand it seems. Did you notice a difference in your B8 s5 and b9s5? As stated before all this is completely new to me. I haven't looked at a rs3. But I would like to purchase a coupe. As I'm still young and don't have any kids or a reason for a back seat.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes I am using my phone. You have so much knowledge about the audi brand it seems. Did you notice a difference in your B8 s5 and b9s5? As stated before all this is completely new to me. I haven't looked at a rs3. But I would like to purchase a coupe. As I'm still young and don't have any kids or a reason for a back seat.
Just interested in cars, and spend too much time thinking about next purchases, so like to understand what is coming, and why.

Yes, the difference between the B8 and the B9 is quite noticeable. I actually preferred the older engine / transmission combination. The supercharged engine and S tronic (dual sequential) transmission felt both sharper and sweeter most of the time. But there is definitely more punch from the newer turbocharged engine.

The biggest difference for me is that the new chassis (MLB Evo platform) of the B8 feels a lot better to me. Lighter, stiffer, more agile. Much better front end. The B8 felt heavy, clumsy, and a bit vague in comparison. I much prefer the the new S Sport (quilted, fixed headrest) seats in the new B9 to the older versions.

Bought the S5 SB first (my car, the cabriolet is my wife's), so was driving both the B8 and the B9 for about 6 months. Gave us a good enough comparison to change over the B8 to a B9 as well, and usually never have two of the same model.

But I still liked the B8, so it could be an option if it better suits the budget. However, they can have transmission issues, particularly if abused or someone has put on (and taken off) a tune, many of which exceeded the torque ceiling of the transmission. Out of warranty, these can be $12,000 or more to replace. So get a good warranty if you buy one of these.

If you like coupés and don't need much space, try a TT-S as well. Very agile. Again, not as refined as an A5. In the US, because of pricing vagaries in that market, the A5/S5 is much better value though for what you get.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just interested in cars, and spend too much time thinking about next purchases, so like to understand what is coming, and why.

Yes, the difference between the B8 and the B9 is quite noticeable. I actually preferred the older engine / transmission combination. The supercharged engine and S tronic (dual sequential) transmission felt both sharper and sweeter most of the time. But there is definitely more punch from the newer turbocharged engine.

The biggest difference for me is that the new chassis (MLB Evo platform) of the B8 feels a lot better to me. Lighter, stiffer, more agile. Much better front end. The B8 felt heavy, clumsy, and a bit vague in comparison. I much prefer the the new S Sport (quilted, fixed headrest) seats in the new B9 to the older versions.

Bought the S5 SB first (my car, the cabriolet is my wife's), so was driving both the B8 and the B9 for about 6 months. Gave us a good enough comparison to change over the B8 to a B9 as well, and usually never have two of the same model.

But I still liked the B8, so it could be an option if it better suits the budget. However, they can have transmission issues, particularly if abused or someone has put on (and taken off) a tune, many of which exceeded the torque ceiling of the transmission. Out of warranty, these can be $12,000 or more to replace. So get a good warranty if you buy one of these.

If you like coupés and don't need much space, try a TT-S as well. Very agile. Again, not as refined as an A5. In the US, because of pricing vagaries in that market, the A5/S5 is much better value though for what you get.
Ok. Well I kind of want to stay in the 40k or less range. But if I could get a better deal on the b8, I would be interested in that* The TT was my favorite car as a kid. But let's add a extra option. In your opinion, what year is best for s5 or rs5? Because they all seem to have the same body style. But if I could get more power and a better deal, that would be a good thing. I appreciate you helping me out.*
Old 02-10-2019, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

But I do love the new cockpit tech. It's beautiful and definitely seperates the audi interior from any other vehicle. But I can do without the cockpit tech if I have to. Would purchasing a a5, then tuning it void the warranty?*
Old 02-11-2019, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

...Would purchasing a a5, then tuning it void the warranty?*
Typically, yes. Although with some, the tuner or dealer may offer a separate warranty, but I have no idea how effective these are in your region.

But the A5 2.0TFSI 252hp quattro is quite a quick car in its own right. Drive one first, before talking about tuning.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

But the A5 2.0TFSI 252hp quattro is quite a quick car in its own right. Drive one first, before talking about tuning.
Exactly.....

Quick Reply: S5 vs A5????