Tire and Wheel Policy from Dealership RS5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire and Wheel Policy from Dealership RS5?

Is it advisable to purchase a Tire and Rim Insurance Policy 2019 ( RS5) with the Audi Dealership or is there another outside reputable vendor to purchase it with? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought wheel and tire insurance, busted a tire within a week of purchase. Got a brand new tire, didn't have to pay anything out of pocket. I'd say it depends on yyour track record with flats etc. Keep in mind that if you want cosmetic coverage (scrapes, dents etc), that's an additional package.

I bought my coverage for all straight from the dealer
Old 03-14-2019, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I lost a tire and wheel to a nasty chuck of metal in the road, within one months of auto purchase. About $1,250 to replace. No Tire and Rim Insurance Policy

How much are they quoting you for that insurance??

I would stick with Audi, if I was buying it.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. It would be crazy to go without. Audi dealer stated About $2,400.00 for 4 years with the added coverage. Drove the Misano Red with Black/Rock Gray stitching.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

As others have stated, it depends on your history with tire and wheel damage. I have never damaged a wheel and have had to replace only two damaged tires in my life, so $2400 for a 4 year wheel and tire insurance plan would make no sense for me. When I bought my car last month, the finance guy pushed a $1700 4-year wheel and tire insurance package fairly hard, but I declined. You should also check how many tire and wheel replacements the coverage includes, as there is normally a limit.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi dealership said I'd get only about 8,000 to 10,000 miles out of Summer tires. then I can or should change to All Season in November. Does that sound right? Thanks. RS5.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jd2828
Audi dealership said I'd get only about 8,000 to 10,000 miles out of Summer tires. then I can or should change to All Season in November. Does that sound right? Thanks. RS5.
I suppose that if you track your car on a regular basis, 10K miles might be the right interval for a tire change but the real problem with summer tires is cold weather. Summer tires exposed to temperatures below 45 degrees are prone to cracking. Also summer tires offer limited traction in cold temperatures and almost no traction in the snow. I'm amazed that Audi doesn't offer its buyers the option of all season and summer tires. Porsche equips all of their sports cars with summer tires, but most Porsche owners who live in colder climates either put their cars in hibernation for the winter or mount winter tires.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

I get about 20k miles out of my summer tires. I am currently running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:16 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by jd2828

There is a considerable amount of information you haven’t provided to get fact-based recommendations:

1. Where in the country are you located?
2. How much cold weather / snow do you normally get?
3. What’s your “normal drive” (city / rural)?
4. What’s your yearly mileage?
5. Are you leasing or did you purchase your car?

I have the S5 Coupé with the 19” Cavos — and they came with Summer Tires. As I live in the Mid-Atlantic states, we see a lot of cold temperatures and some snow. I knew when I bought the car last June it would not see much use in the cold months as I wanted to preserve the Summer Tires. My plan was to wait until this fall and purchase a set of 18” wheels and put snow tires on those wheels for the November to April season. However, another member was selling his 18” Audi A5 S-Line wheels and All Season Tires In January, so I purchased them and put them on my S5. The upside for me was: Genuine Audi Wheels that were the “standard” wheel on the S5; Audi / Pirelli All Season Tires with less than 3,000 miles on them and I got to keep driving my S5 no matter what the temperatures / weather condition.

If you bought your car & live in a cold part of the country, that sees snow and the resulting potholes every Spring, my suggestion is to buy the next size smaller wheel and tire combination for the winter and keep your Summer wheels & tires for those seasons. The “downsize” of an inch will provide you with less tire width but a taller sidewall to give you better traction in the snow.

If you’re leading your car — the same advice applies except that it may not make financial sense to invest the money in wheels & tires.

As far as insurance for the Wheels & Tires — I did purchase the 4 year policy from the dealership as when I purchased my last car, I went through 2 Wheels & Tires in the first year. Looking at replacement cost for the Cavos, I thought I’d be crazy not to buy it. And, the policy covers whatever wheel & tire I have on the car, not just the original wheels and tires.

As always, YMMV.

— John

Last edited by Nikon1; 03-16-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Whatever you do, make sure you get the contract and go through the fine print, terms, exclusions etc, before you buy anything. I remember reading on here about someone who thought they had tire and wheel protection through an Audi plan only to find out that the fine print said that it only covers wheel damage where the damage leads to the wheel not being able to maintain air pressure in the tire and therefore minor bends and damage was excluded (I am paraphrasing here). Some other coverage may only include minor damage like curb rash but excludes wheels getting bent.

Quick Reply: Tire and Wheel Policy from Dealership RS5?