Understanding start/stop conditions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understanding start/stop conditions

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I just test drove a base A5 Sportback as well as a top-trim A5 Sportback S Line. I know there are certain conditions that must be met for the start/stop system to engage.

On the base model, once the vehicle was warmed up and been driven for several miles, the feature began to engage at prolonged red lights as expected. However, when I switched to the S Line car, the system did not engage at all, even after the warm-up period, and even when I took it out of the "S" drive mode and ensured it was in Auto-everything. Is there more to an S Line that I'm not considering? Note, these were both A5s. No S5s if it matters.

Thanks all.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Nothing specific with S line. The system does use a number of parameters - the most important ones are temperatures (engine/transmission), electrical load, and battery condition. The electrical load will depend on what is running in the car, and how hard it is running - AC, sound system, etc, etc. You can bring up the screen for energy consumption within the VC.

The system will not engage in S mode, transmission must be in D mode. Sensitivity will vary from car to car. My S5 Sportback never engages start/stop unless I turn off the AC (in any weather conditions). The S5 cabriolet stops every time, regardless of what is running on the electrical system. Exactly the same options fitted on both cars.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I've ordered the S Line and will wait until I've had some time with it and read the manual before asking more questions. Just seemed odd, since the weather was moderate (12C/56F) and I drove both cars the exact same route. Although with the S Line (I assume it was also a Technik - similar to Prestige in US - since it had VC) I found myself in Sport (S) mode a lot by accident, and on the base I was always in D.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by msncookie
Thanks for the info. I've ordered the S Line and will wait until I've had some time with it and read the manual before asking more questions. Just seemed odd, since the weather was moderate (12C/56F) and I drove both cars the exact same route. Although with the S Line (I assume it was also a Technik - similar to Prestige in US - since it had VC) I found myself in Sport (S) mode a lot by accident, and on the base I was always in D.
You could have had the climate control on and not realized it? It’s very quiet and the lights are hard to notice.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

All I need to know about start/stop is how to disable it in VCDS.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

If all other external conditions are similar, then probably just a difference in battery level. I know if I haven't driven the car for a week, *** is deactivated in situations I'd normally get ***.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My experience aligns with Glisse's.

Additionally, one variable is brake pressure. If you slowly come to a stop and have very low pedal pressure holding you in place, auto stop won't engage - try pressing the pedal down further and do it suddenly, and the auto-stop will engage. Sudden depression or release of the pedal will engage/disengage the auto-stop.

For stops I know are short such as stop signs, I go much lighter on the brake pedal when the car is already decelerated for the most part as to not engage the auto-stop.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JayS
All I need to know about start/stop is how to disable it in VCDS.
Yes i'm thinking the same thing hitting the button is ok, but would be good to have a setting in MMI to enable or disable it instead of remembering all the time
Old 08-03-2019, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Odo Ital
My experience aligns with Glisse's.

Additionally, one variable is brake pressure. If you slowly come to a stop and have very low pedal pressure holding you in place, auto stop won't engage - try pressing the pedal down further and do it suddenly, and the auto-stop will engage. Sudden depression or release of the pedal will engage/disengage the auto-stop.

For stops I know are short such as stop signs, I go much lighter on the brake pedal when the car is already decelerated for the most part as to not engage the auto-stop.
Now that I have my car and have had some time with it - not to mention read the manual - I think I can say with confidence that brake force may be the biggest factor. As mentioned by others, the AC cannot be running full-tilt, among other factors, but now that I know about the brakes, it's very easy to control how it engages. Makes sense, as you wouldn't want it kicking-in every time you stop, or in slow-moving traffic.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2019, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What start/stop do you talk about?
Can someone please explain to me? I’m curious.

Quick Reply: Understanding start/stop conditions