Window issues in cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window issues in cold weather?

Anybody else having issues with their windows during this cold snap? Having a problem with getting windows to roll up all the way. I'm not sure if this is a motor issue so much as a window position sensor? The automatic lowering during door opening & closing is getting stuck in the slightly down position. With every subsequent open and close, the window lowers another quarter inch. Made the mistake of trying to lower the windows with the keyfob and then raise them back up with keyfob, and then both back windows got stuck in the down position.

Happened to me last winter during cold weather too, but seems to happen sporadically whenever the temp is even mildly cool with my driver side door, not just in the -21F we got today. Definitely more pronounced whenever its below freezing out. Attempted in the past to recalibrate windows by holding switches in up position, but that hasn't seemed to work.

I had though all along it was just my drivers side door, but now its happened on all 4 after today.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Common. Happens on any Audi 2 door, on both my TT, my R8 and the loaner A5 I had recently. It's simply frozen water in the door restricting window movement. The only remedy is warmer weather or a heated garage for some thawing action. Seems like an enormous oversight on every car they make. Other manufacturers seem to have a better design.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Once the car warms up on the inside does it fix itself, or do you drive with the windows ajar for the next few days?
Old 02-02-2019, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So I just went by the local dealer this morning and checked out an S5 SB that was parked outside under snow and freezing temperatures. I noticed the back window was slightly ajar and we couldn't roll it up. The sales guy kept trying but it would only go lower and wouldn't go back up. He said he'll leave in the bay overnight. Kind of embarrassing for them. Not looking forward to dealing with that stuff, I guess the snow brush will have to stay in the trunk. It seems to be more of an issue with the back windows.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

FYI once the interior heats up generally the windows work again....until the refreeze. But it all depends on how long your drive is and how warm it gets inside. Honestly it's pretty amazing to me that there isn't better sealing to avoid this. I don't think other brands suffer from this, do they?
Old 02-03-2019, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

The potential annoyances caused by the frameless windows almost pushed me from the S5 SB to the S4, but I assume this will only be a rare occurrence for me, as I live in Dallas. If I were back in the Midwest or New England, I may have made a different choice, however.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Most Audi models are available with an optional auxiliary (electrical) heating and ventilation system that can be remotely turned on (or set by a timer) prior to entering the car. Seems to be one of the options Audi of America doesn't make available (not sure whether Canada can get it). Probably because it is an expensive option and most would complain about the price or complain about it not being included for free.

Here is the one for the A5/S5 models, from the German site (price equates to around USD1400, excluding taxes:

Source: Audi.de
Old 02-04-2019, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

My Moms A6's windows froze and wouldn't go down on her A6. two weeks ago.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Here is the one for the A5/S5 models, from the German site (price equates to around USD1400, excluding taxes: Source: Audi.de
I'm interested in this feature, so I look it up. I don't see it from Audi.de, but I see in Audi.ch

Unlike USA, there are so many options to choose from in Europe...

Old 02-05-2019, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Try optioning the car the same way as it's sold here and be amazed at how all these options add up...

Quick Reply: Window issues in cold weather?