Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Ordering 2015 S5..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering 2015 S5..

Do you all recommend the extended warranty 8/120KM for a car owner who intends on keeping the car for that long ?
Old 08-08-2014, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone I know who has owned a German car or two pretty much subscribes to the notion "you don't want a German car that's out of warranty" (regardless of the marque). It's no secret that things can get very expensive very quickly on high mileage Audis, etc. So from that standpoint, extended coverage might be beneficial. IF you're absolutely certain you'll have the car that long. What does the plan cost, and how does it compare to a la carte pricing of the recommended services (which could be subject to inflationary increases over the years)? What does it cover, or not? I'd want more than just oil and filter changes down the road, like protection for the really expensive and high-tech bits such as MMI, supercharger, TSFI, potential carbon build-up on the valves, etc. You're basically buying peace of mind; what's the value of that (vs. just the cost) to you? I know from personal experience there's a honeymoon period when you first buy a new car and think you'll be together forever and want to do everything possible for the "relationship." Is this realistic? I don't think there's a universal right or wrong answer about extended coverage because of so many personal variables. As long as you've taken them into consideration, then your decision is the right one for you apart from the cost factor alone.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I finalized my purchase of our 2015 S5 Cab a few weeks ago and went with the extended warranty. I intend to keep this car for quite a while so it seemed to make sense. I pick it up on Tuesday in Ingolstadt.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would recommend waiting for the extended warranty until just before the original 4 yr manufactures warranty runs out. You are crazy in love with your new car right now, you feel that your car is amazing, if you could you would sleep in it and so on...but wait a few years and you will be looking left and right for the newer sexier models...that's just our (men's) nature!
Old 08-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would recommend waiting for the extended warranty until just before the original 4 yr manufactures warranty runs out. You are crazy in love with your new car right now, you feel that your car is amazing, if you could you would sleep in it and so on...but wait a few years and you will be looking left and right for the newer sexier models...that's just our (men's) nature!
Besides, the cars that you intend to keep for 8/120k (a looooooong time in this day and age) are Toyota's or Honda's. There are exceptions of course, I do not intend to generalize, I'm sure there is a 15 years old, 150k, Audi somewhere on this planet but look closely on your daily commute, most Audi's, MB's, BMW's are relatively newer, don't you think? There is a reason behind that.
I have an Audi S5 right, I love it so much that I want to make love to it when I see it but I know in some years, I'll be hunting for some younger, sexier models ;-)
Old 08-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

My personal opinion? Extended warranties are a waste of money.

Consumer Reports agrees.
THE BOTTOM LINE
When it comes to extended service contracts, we’ve found that the cost of repairs is generally less than the price of the coverage itself.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Considering that you may not still have the car in 4 yrs/50k (if its in a wreck or stolen etc) there is no need to get the warranty now unless they are offering you a deal you cant refuse.. However, with the amount of cheaper components being used these days you dont want to be caught out paying for stuff that starts to fail at 4 yrs one day or 51k miles either.. One major tranny or engine problem can set you back thousands.. I know.. 10 years of owning an RS6 with 2 extended warranties saved me tens of thousands of dollars in repairs..(actual factory and aftermarket warranty repairs totaled an astounding $126K over those 10 years) Fortunately the S5 is not as complex as the RS6 was and I dont expect the same unreliability, but if I still have it and I plan to, I will be getting an extended warranty for it when the time comes..
Old 08-09-2014, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Drollomite Man
Anyone I know who has owned a German car or two pretty much subscribes to the notion "you don't want a German car that's out of warranty" (regardless of the marque).
True that. I've owned three 911s, when repairs are needed lookout! Just bought a RA5 cab. The roof is getting those rub marks they all seem to get. It won't last four years (although I haven't kept a car for more than three, ever-except for my chevelle convertable).

I'd be suspicious of any after market warranty, though. I wouldn't buy one until the last minute and even then you're gambling on a little company that sells product at a huge commission through car dealers. Stable as sweating dynamite.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2015 S5 Cabriolet

I just picked up my 2015 S5 Cabriolet and I absolutely love this car.

Just after pickup at the Audi Forum - Ingolstadt

If you ever get the chance do the European delivery. Just a few miles outside Ingolstadt you hit sections of the Autobahn that are wide open. So much fun.