Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2010 Audi A5 water leak in footwells after every rain

Old 02-08-2017, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Audi A5 water leak in footwells after every rain

We discovered an issue with our 2010 Audi A5. The footwells on the passenger and driver side are wet with water. After each rain fall the footwells are soaking wet. The car has the large sunroof that only opens in the back and little... The car has 50k miles on her.... Is this a known issue with the 2010 Audi A5? I called New Country Audi in Greenwich, CT and the Representative said that he has not heard of this being an issue with Audis... My thought is that no car should develop leaks after 6 to 7 years, and the repair of this issue should be covered by Audi.... I have owned several cars over the years, and none have ever developed a leak... Has anyone had this issue and resolved it?
Old 02-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2010 S5 and have recently developed the exact same problem. I live in central coast California where it hardly rains so i just noticed the problem. Unfortunately i have not found the culprit but will be interested to hear back from you if you get an answer.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Check the sunroof drains.

Originally Posted by Edward Pellon
We discovered an issue with our 2010 Audi A5. The footwells on the passenger and driver side are wet with water. After each rain fall the footwells are soaking wet. The car has the large sunroof that only opens in the back and little... The car has 50k miles on her.... Is this a known issue with the 2010 Audi A5? I called New Country Audi in Greenwich, CT and the Representative said that he has not heard of this being an issue with Audis... My thought is that no car should develop leaks after 6 to 7 years, and the repair of this issue should be covered by Audi.... I have owned several cars over the years, and none have ever developed a leak... Has anyone had this issue and resolved it?
You could also have weird stuff, like leaves/(pine needles) accumulating and rusting holes in the front bulkhead, but that would be unlikely to occur on BOTH sides of the center console.

I'm going with plugged sunroof drains. Open the sunroof as far as you can and see if there's stuff in there.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since SloopJohn has eluded to the potential Pano roof drain leak I'll try something different.
I just read this morning on the A5 facebook page a thread from Alex Kelly where he mentioned there was a recall on the A5 heater core. Which years/models wasn't mentioned but it may be worth a shot to contact Audi USA with your VIN and see if it may be affected. A leaky heater core could account for wet/damp floor mats.

In my 300ZX social media pages/forums, wet floors can be attributed to either;
1. A Pillar drain tube(s) pulled away from T Top drain spigot(s).
2. Leaky heater core.
3. Interior AC drain tube pulled away from it's spigot.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I'm still thinking sun roof water rather than coolant.

Originally Posted by jschrauwen
Since SloopJohn has eluded to the potential Pano roof drain leak I'll try something different.
I just read this morning on the A5 facebook page a thread from Alex Kelly where he mentioned there was a recall on the A5 heater core. Which years/models wasn't mentioned but it may be worth a shot to contact Audi USA with your VIN and see if it may be affected. A leaky heater core could account for wet/damp floor mats.

In my 300ZX social media pages/forums, wet floors can be attributed to either;
1. A Pillar drain tube(s) pulled away from T Top drain spigot(s).
2. Leaky heater core.
3. Interior AC drain tube pulled away from it's spigot.
coolant from the heater core would be there always rather than just from when it rains, same with an evaporator drain tube...AC condensate would be there always, not just from when it rains. Lastly, a leaking heater core deposits not just coolant on the floor (which eventually drains your cooling system and that in itself is a tell-tale) but a film on the inside of the windshield when the AC or defroster is turned on.

Funny that a 300ZX guy answered, that's cool. I had a leaking heater core in my '77 280Z that I should have realized when I bought the car used and had it fixed before I bought it with the windshield film symptom. I eventually took about 8 clock hours to remove the core, get it repaired(!) and put it back in. 1980 IIRC. Didn't have to pull the entire dash, was able to get at it from below.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like such a klutz. Should have queued in on the "after each rainfall" part. lol
My RHD TT 300ZX is my weekend fun car that I've had for over 10 years. 572rwhp/590rwtq
Old 02-21-2017, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had this same issue when I purchased my 2010 S5 a few years ago.
Traced the water leak back to the drain tube elbow connection.
My first solution was to repair by applying JB Weld water weld compound. That did not fix the problem. I feel this would actually have worked if the space wasn't so confined.
So I went to my second solution, plugging up drain. Not the best solution but beats having water in the car.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default me too plugged sunroof drain

you might want to also check your trunk in the corners by the lights water also collects there I had it on the passenger side where all electrical components are it was about an 1"or more of water dealer said they fixed it but only did the front never did the rear front cost me about $300 same for the rear then they said I should do the remaining 2 on driver side & they quoted me $1300. I left pissed wondering where they got their math from figured I will do it myself
Old 04-10-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

We finally got Audi to fix the leak. First they charged us $450 for a Diagnosis fee...which is outrageous!!! We told them that it may be the sunroof drains being clogged, yet they had the $450 fee built in... Audi determined that both the sunroof drains failed and were leaking. That would explain why both of the front footwells were wet after every rain. Audi charged another $450 for the replacement of the drains. So the cost was $900 plus to fix the leak. First, I find it very strange that two drains fail at the same time. To me, this is a design flaw. For such a fine prestigious automaker in Audi to design a vehicle that would have a 2 parts fail at the same time, resulting in a "must" fix is not acceptable. If you dont fix this item, the car gets moldy and possibly, electronics get damaged...basically you destroy your car's interior without the fix... Audi was able to get 900 bucks out of us for this... I have to imagine other folks must have experienced this same issue.. I must say, not even a cheap Japanese or Korean car leaks water into the main cabin like this... This is German engineering??? Cars leaking because of cheaply designed parts should be be the owners responsibility!!! To add insult to injury, this car was purchased at Audi as a CPO vehicle... We need Audi to stand behind their car..... I am extremely pissed with Audi right now, as they sold us a CPO with many issues... The leaky roof is just one... And BTW, the car only has 25K since bought from the Audi Dealership and less than 60k in total on her... She's a 2010 A5....
Old 04-21-2017, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NOFX
I have a 2010 S5 and have recently developed the exact same problem. I live in central coast California where it hardly rains so i just noticed the problem. Unfortunately i have not found the culprit but will be interested to hear back from you if you get an answer.
It was the Sunroof drains. Both failed and were leaking...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Audi A5 water leak in footwells after every rain