AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b8-125/)
-   -   2012 A5 fuel pump failure (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b8-125/2012-a5-fuel-pump-failure-2812522/)

DHH 09-06-2011 10:35 AM

2012 A5 fuel pump failure

My engine light, also known as the Malfunction Indication Lamp (MIL) lit up over the weekend. The manual recommended that I take it to the dealership, which I did this morning.

The first question I was asked was if I had secured the gas cap properly. I indicated that I had, but they double-checked it anyway. After confirming this, they then verified the pressure in the tank. Once this was confirmed, they started checking the connections between the fuel pump and the tank.

Long story short: Audi advised them to simply replace the fuel pump, which they had to overnight. So I have a loaner for the evening - at least its supposed to rain for the next 2 days. ;)

I'm not 100% convinced that they actually know what the problem is, so as an engineer by trade, this is bothersome. However, if the problem is fixed, then that is all that matters.

I will keep everyone posted on the issue.

Cheers, Dave

bobbyd1961 09-07-2011 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by DHH (Post 24193328)
My engine light, also known as the Malfunction Indication Lamp (MIL) lit up over the weekend. The manual recommended that I take it to the dealership, which I did this morning.

The first question I was asked was if I had secured the gas cap properly. I indicated that I had, but they double-checked it anyway. After confirming this, they then verified the pressure in the tank. Once this was confirmed, they started checking the connections between the fuel pump and the tank.

Long story short: Audi advised them to simply replace the fuel pump, which they had to overnight. So I have a loaner for the evening - at least its supposed to rain for the next 2 days. ;)

I'm not 100% convinced that they actually know what the problem is, so as an engineer by trade, this is bothersome. However, if the problem is fixed, then that is all that matters.

I will keep everyone posted on the issue.

Cheers, Dave

any update?

DHH 09-08-2011 05:33 AM

Well I called the service department yesterday, and the news I got was not good: they're not replacing the fuel pump, they're replacing some controller board. It gets better: the board is back-ordered to Germany, and will take anywhere between 3 days and 3 weeks.

So I had my car 3 weeks, and now they're telling me that it's possible I might miss what is arguably the best month of the year to own a convertible, particularly in New England. I am not happy.

I am currently writing a letter to the dealership, which I hope to get to Audi USA as well, expressing my displeasure.

All for now...off to write a very nasty letter. :(

DHH 09-08-2011 05:59 AM

I started a thread for feedback regarding the letter I am planning on sending to Audi USA. Please share with me your thoughts and suggestions:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...7

Thanks, Dave

JGA5Cab 09-08-2011 08:39 AM

get them to take the part from a stock car if possible and then let their inventory car sit instead of yours! we do that for customers where I work.
well, an S5 or even S4 is probably not sitting there. A good idea but not realistic knowing the scarcity of these cars.

DHH 09-08-2011 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab (Post 24194298)
get them to take the part from a stock car if possible and then let their inventory car sit instead of yours! we do that for customers where I work.

Thanks for the tip - I thought about that, but they don't currently have any other 2012 A5s at that dealership. However, there are certainly other dealerships around with whom they could work.

I have an email out to Audi USA, as well as the dealership sales manager. I am going to see what they have to say, and go from there.

Cheers, Dave

sharding 09-08-2011 08:49 AM

I'd be surprised if that part were truly unique to the A5. Isn't it probably the same thing that's in an A4? I'm sure they have a bunch of A4s sitting around. Not that I think they're likely to go for this idea, but I'm not convinced that a lack of A5s on the lot is a valid excuse for them to use.

DHH 09-08-2011 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by sharding (Post 24194301)
I'd be surprised if that part were truly unique to the A5. Isn't it probably the same thing that's in an A4? I'm sure they have a bunch of A4s sitting around. Not that I think they're likely to go for this idea, but I'm not convinced that a lack of A5s on the lot is a valid excuse for them to use.

Good point! If it comes to that, I will ask about that possibility because they certainly have some A4 2.0Ts on their lot!

iflywoe 09-08-2011 06:43 PM

i woudnt be happy either, but im sure your in a loaner, and they are taking care of you , put crazy miles on it :-)

MonzaA5 09-08-2011 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by DHH (Post 24194225)
Well I called the service department yesterday, and the news I got was not good: they're not replacing the fuel pump, they're replacing some controller board.

If the fuel pump failed or was close to failure, you'd feel it (the whole car would be shaking). I'm not sure what sort of a "controller board" they are replacing, but it sounds very odd.