Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

8 speed manual mode vs 6 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 8 speed manual mode vs 6 speed manual

Has anyone here who has driven a true manual own the 8 speed tip and shift it in auto/manual and if so how does it compare?

I've been driving a stick for well over 20 years and the 6 speeds are hard to find in the A5.

Direct duel clutch shift would be fast but I am afraid it just won't feel the same as actually pushing in a clutch.

The one pro would be if you just feel lazy you can just put it in D and go or if somebody had to borrow your car who
can't for the life of them drive manual.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I have driven manuals for over 15 years before I got my current RS5 with the dual clutch transmission. The dual clutch was actually a big reason I was interested in the RS5. IMO, it's superior to a manual transmission. Because under the hood it is mechanically two manual transmissions fused together, it provides a lot of the same feel as a manual transmission. The only difference is the gear change and clutch engagement is executed by the computer, but the loss of a clutch pedal is more than offset by the convenience of having fully automatic modes for when I don't feel like shifting myself and super fast and crisp shifts when banging on it. I drive about 90% or more in manual mode. It's more fun than any manual transmission I've owned when I drive the car aggressively and it's still rewarding to me when driving more moderately. The RS implementation does take some skillful use of the throttle to make the shifts smooth etc, so I still feel very connected to the driving experience. I also drive an R8 occasionally and the dual clutch is even more awesome there. However, this is the RS5 and R8. Part of the reason the transmission is so great in these two cars is the respective engine it's paired to. The drama, noise, free revving nature and responsive throttle makes it a joy to shift and drive. I'm not particularly enamored by the more pedestrian dual clutch transmissions in the new A4/5 cars. They try to feel too much like a traditional automatic to please their target customers.

When it comes to the 8 speed tiptronic, it largely depends on the model you are interested in. Audi went with the 8-speed in the new S and RS models and I've extensively driven the new RS5. While I didn't hate the 8-speed in the RS5 it's not at the level of the previous dual clutch. It is responsive and shifts when I tell it to and the RS5 uses a smaller, lighter torque converter that locks up more aggressively to get some of that mechanical feel of shifting and driving back, but it's still a bit video gameish. However, the manual mode does add to the experience of driving the car aggressively. But on cars like the A5, A6 etc, the 8-speed manual mode is pretty terrible, IMO. It mostly detracts from the driving experience. I end up not using it, as it is more frustrating than fun to me. The shifts are usually delayed and it lacks any kind of enjoyment.

My recommendation is to drive one yourself. Some of this is very subjective and I'm somewhat of a transmission snob. The transmission for me can make or brake a car. Some people like the new sport versions of the 8-speed as found in the new S and RS models, because a torque converter is smoother in stop&go traffic and it is still somewhat fun in manual mode. I don't have to commute or drive much in traffic, so a dual clutch transmission is much more fun for me, but it still allows me to yank it in D and engage adaptive cruise control on longer highway journeys and just chill.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-17-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input.
I can't help to stick with the know and stay with the old fashioned clutch/standard when it comes to driving. Course most would say a manual is more reliable and easier to maintain.
I have a tip A5 local I would like to take for spin given the chance to see how the clutchless stick actually feels
I always found auto's to be boring and basically predictable.