Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 Issue streaming Pandora

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 04:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 Issue streaming Pandora

I've seen numerous threads for streaming music through the speakers using an iPhone, but haven't seen any for Android users. As an FYI, my navigation interface tells me I have MMI, not AMI. After specifying my year, make & model, I've ordered cables twice (most recently from audia2dp.com) and both times receive the same kind of cable that won't fit. I've attached pics of the cable I have in my glove box. Hopefully someone can put an end to my headache.
Attached Images   
Old 12-14-2015, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

AMI stands for Audi Music Interface. That's what the connector in the glove box is called. Not to be confused with MMI, which is the whole Infotainment system. Anyway, for an Android phone, you need the USB AMI cable.
Amazon.com : Audi AMI USB Cable - USB Audio Cable Adaptor for Audi Music Interface : Vehicle Audio Video Power Adapters : MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com : Audi AMI USB Cable - USB Audio Cable Adaptor for Audi Music Interface : Vehicle Audio Video Power Adapters : MP3 Players & Accessories

What you have there is the Apple 30-pin connector. However, I don't know what's actually supported with the USB cable. Streaming Pandora over the AMI connection doesn't even work properly with an iPhone. Last time I tried, I couldn't control the volume through the MMI.

You'll be much better off streaming Pandora, Spotify etc. over Bluetooth. What year is your car? Unfortunately, Bluetooth Audio streaming is only supported in MY2013+. For prior model years, you need to look into AMI Bluetooth adapters such as Tune2Air. I don't have any personal experience with them and how well they work, but I've heard good things. The native Bluetooth streaming in MY2013+ works very well. It shows all the track information and you can control the player such as next track, previous track, FF etc.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks that clears up some of my confusion. But looking at the USB AMI cable, the AMI end is what I have now (from Audia2dp) and that doesnt fit the connector in my glovebox. I have a 2011 A5. I'll check out the AMI BT adapters in hopes I can find a way to marry the glove box connector with my Droid somehow
Old 12-14-2015, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

It's hard to tell from your picture what kind of cable you have exactly, but pretty much all the AMI cables I've seen have an L-shaped connector for the side that plugs into the glove box. BTW, audi2dp has a Bluetooth adapter on their homepage right now. That's basically what you want.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea both pieces you describe sound like what I have but they just don't fit together for some reason. Its like the connector in the glove box is the right shape, but an inch or two too long. And I've tried every which way possible and I'm pretty sure it shouldn't take a lot of trouble to connect the two.