Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 soft top problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 soft top problem

Hi, i have a warning that has come up on my dash saying 'soft top storage box not lowered please remove obstacle' but there is no obstacle and i don't kno how to fix it! i have read the user manual and it says there is a lever in the left hand side of the boot behind the pull down flap but i can see one! i must be blind!!

any help will be much appreciated!

many thanks
Old 07-05-2013, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Me too

Not sure what you found out, but this recently began happening with my '13. I found that if I go into the trunk and push the roller up a bit to the top, it will operate normally again. I'll have the dealer check it out when I'm in for my 5k service later in the month. I'll try to remember to report back.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There is a flap that is solid plastic, about 3" high, that runs the full width of the car and pulls down and locks into place. This provides the space necessary for the roof to fold into the trunk. That flap can be popped up by hand to give 3 more inches of space in the trunk. You will get that error message if the flap is not down even if there is nothing in the trunk. This one stumped me for a couple weeks!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by peterwiggin
There is a flap that is solid plastic, about 3" high, that runs the full width of the car and pulls down and locks into place. This provides the space necessary for the roof to fold into the trunk. That flap can be popped up by hand to give 3 more inches of space in the trunk. You will get that error message if the flap is not down even if there is nothing in the trunk. This one stumped me for a couple weeks!
That flap should pop down automatically when lowering the top. If something is preventing it from lowering, you will receive that error.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default update

Mine has since stopped working completely. She's going back the dealer Monday. Frustrating to have something break at a tad over 4,000 miles, but the top was something I had a feeling would be troublesome.

As Boostedws6 said, the storage box is automatic. You shouldn't have to pull it down; activating the top-drop sequence will bring that box down (if it isn't down already).
Old 07-17-2013, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey guys - quick update. Brought the car into the dealership (Beverly Hills Audi) on Monday. 5k service, fix convertible top, some MMI issues, etc... nothing major (although losing the convertible functionality at 4800 miles is somewhat annoying.)

Service manager says the issue with the convertible top is with a driver's side "binder" [or maybe winder?] that (based on my visual observation / memory anyway) pulls the 'storage box' open [i think?] with basically some kind of gear/tensioner. Apparently my driver's side one is hosed or screwed or humiliated in some way or whatever.. so they've ordered a new one. Supposedly it will be here tomorrow.

Just wanted to get this into the thread for all of you poor souls who, in the future, will Google about trouble with your A5 / S5 convertible top.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default This Fixed Me!

Just wanted to post this here in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

I was also getting the "soft top storage box not lowered please remove obstacle" error message when there was nothing in my trunk. I manually raised the storage box, closed the trunk, then attempted to lower the top again (several times). The storage box would lower with each attempt, but the dash would display the error and the top would not lower. Activating the switch I could hear the top motor attempting to lower the top, but nothing was happening.

To try and determine what might be failing, I laid the back seats down to try and get a better look. That's when I noticed the support bar that runs across the back of the back seats for the soft top storage box was uneven. As the soft top storage box was attempting to lower, it was bottoming out on one side, but the other side was not lowered. I was able to manually adjust the bar where it sits in the gears so that it was even across the back. Voila! The top started working again.

I suspect I may have had something in the way when I last attempted to lower the top causing this to get off track.

The following 3 users liked this post by mahickerson:
JenniferMo (06-18-2022), LukeB (09-26-2022), Stephanie .l Prince (02-28-2020)
Old 05-31-2016, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by mahickerson
Just wanted to post this here in case anyone else encounters the same problem.
Excellent post, thanks for taking the trouble!
The following users liked this post:
Stephanie .l Prince (02-28-2020)
Old 06-07-2016, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Future self thanks you all!
Old 06-11-2016, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue124
Future self thanks you all!
Your Cab is fairly new, right? Are you having fun with it?

Quick Reply: A5 soft top problem