Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Is alignment required after new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is alignment required after new tires?

I just had Costco put on Michelin Pilots to replace the annoying Dunlops that came with my S5. $70 off plus 1 cent installation. I had been debating about whether to get summer or all season tires. Even though I'm in Florida, I drive up north a couple of times a year and when I was up in New England last fall the weather got very chilly and the Dunlops would squeal like a stuck pig (to go along with the brakes, but that's another story.) No inclement weather thankfully, because I dreaded driving on snow with those tires. After a cold snap here in Florida last month (50's) the tires started singing again until things warmed up. Then, last week I developed a slow leak in the left rear, Costco had their sale going on and I decided it was time to bite the bullet and spend $900 on new tires. Ordered them online on Saturday and they were installed on Thursday. So far, ride seems quieter and smoother but might be placebo affect?

Costco recommended an alignment in the next 500 miles. They did not mention any extraordinary wear on the old tires, so it was just a general recommendation. From what I've read, an alignment from the dealer can run as much as $300 (or more). Never heard that recommendation before, but then I've never put new tires on a Quattro before either. Is an alignment after new tires SOP for Quattro's?
Old 01-13-2018, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

An Alignment may or may not be.....they didn't check it for you?
Old 01-13-2018, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

It's recommended to check your alignment once a year regardless of the car and whether you get new tires. It's a good idea to check it at least when you get new tires. Daily road hazards and driving on rough roads can cause the car's suspension to go out of alignment, resulting in abnormal tire wear or tracking issues.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This^ and being off by even a tiny amount, a half to one degree, can mean the difference between 5k-10k miles of wear, even with rotations. It does not take very long to mess a set of tires up
Old 01-13-2018, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shtaka
I just had Costco put on Michelin Pilots to replace the annoying Dunlops that came with my S5. $70 off plus 1 cent installation. I had been debating about whether to get summer or all season tires. Even though I'm in Florida, I drive up north a couple of times a year and when I was up in New England last fall the weather got very chilly and the Dunlops would squeal like a stuck pig (to go along with the brakes, but that's another story.) No inclement weather thankfully, because I dreaded driving on snow with those tires. After a cold snap here in Florida last month (50's) the tires started singing again until things warmed up. Then, last week I developed a slow leak in the left rear, Costco had their sale going on and I decided it was time to bite the bullet and spend $900 on new tires. Ordered them online on Saturday and they were installed on Thursday. So far, ride seems quieter and smoother but might be placebo affect?

Costco recommended an alignment in the next 500 miles. They did not mention any extraordinary wear on the old tires, so it was just a general recommendation. From what I've read, an alignment from the dealer can run as much as $300 (or more). Never heard that recommendation before, but then I've never put new tires on a Quattro before either. Is an alignment after new tires SOP for Quattro's?
If you do not notice any unusual wear pattern on your tires or any weird handling issues, it is safe to say that your car's alignment is OK. But, it won't hurt to have COSTCO just check it out for you if it is free. But, personally, I would not trust COSTCO to do the actual wheel alignment. I don't know but I am just feel that way. If I owned a Toyota, Subaru, Honda, etc., fine. But, a German-engineered car like a BMW or Audi, I fear that folks like COSTCO would just mess it up. Whether what I am feeling is unfounded or not, I just don't feel good about it.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

FWIW I have not had an alignment on any vehicle in over 30 years, have purchased about 30 new vehicles in that time, and have had no tire wear concerns.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Force-1
FWIW I have not had an alignment on any vehicle in over 30 years, have purchased about 30 new vehicles in that time, and have had no tire wear concerns.
I'll counter that by saying I've had 35 cars in the last 18 years, and every single one of them has needed an alignment, sometimes more than one, during my ownership tenure. Where you drive makes all the difference in the world.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Alignment doesn’t change unless suspension wear or impact changes it. Our Q7 has 120000 miles on it. It has never had an alignment. It drives and tracks perfectly and the tires wear perfectly evenly. My old TT on the other hand with all its track time and hammering over and thru curbing at apexs gets aligned pretty regularly. But, I do it at home with my own tools, a digital level, a measuring tape and a ball of twine. My S5 has new tires at 27000 miles. I did not have an alignment done when I had them mounted.Do be careful about who you let align an Audi ( or any modern independent suspensioned vehicle). It is not simple and there are many variables between vehicles. If all your tires were wearing evenly and the steering wheel sits straight with no pull to either side, I would suggest you leave it alone.