Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Anyone else disappointed with the RS5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else disappointed with the RS5?

Well i wasn't until Audi decided to go and update the front of the RS5 just 6 months after i'd taken delivery of my brand new RS5. Feels like Audi didn't think this through. The new look is great however this is being rolled out on a number of audi ranges now making my RS5 look dated already when this is supposed to be the flag ship brand of Audi.

Should Audi not use the premium models for the new look and then roll this out across the range later?

Anyone else feel the same way or is it just me?

btw i love driving the car. amazing. just feel cheated by the looks upgrade
Old 07-03-2012, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree that the pre-facelifted RS5 had a short life, which is odd in today's car life environment. I'm sure Audi debated releasing the RS5 at the time they did vs. waiting until such time when the facelift line hit the market. They obviously decided that the early release was preferred.
Many people would be happy with your front end over the facelifted version.
However, our look will become dated very quickly now no matter which one is thought to be better looking.

I disagree with your statement about this being their flagship. Drivers of A-8's, S-8's, and R-8's, as well as other high end Audi models would surely disagree with you too.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by donaldp
I disagree with your statement about this being their flagship. Drivers of A-8's, S-8's, and R-8's, as well as other high end Audi models would surely disagree with you too.
Yup, I'd have to disagree with the OP and side with you :^)
Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Always thought the "flared fenders" could have been better executed on the RS5, they look anemic, almost pointless. Would have liked for them to update that aspect during the face lift. the NEW RS4 was done right and has the flares that the RS5 should have had.

Originally Posted by stani
Well i wasn't until Audi decided to go and update the front of the RS5 just 6 months after i'd taken delivery of my brand new RS5. Feels like Audi didn't think this through. The new look is great however this is being rolled out on a number of audi ranges now making my RS5 look dated already when this is supposed to be the flag ship brand of Audi.

Should Audi not use the premium models for the new look and then roll this out across the range later?

Anyone else feel the same way or is it just me?

btw i love driving the car. amazing. just feel cheated by the looks upgrade
Old 07-06-2012, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new look RS5 looks like a turd compared to the previous classic looking RS5. But still, of all Audis with the 'new look' - the RS5 and Allroad looks a little bit different due to their grill. So, I'd still prefer it to the other Audis.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The RS badge has always been the flagship, historically, for Audi in terms of performance and if you've ever worked with the senior management at Audi you'll definately get that feeling / vibe from them.

The R8 is a great car and I'd love to have one however with 3 kids it can't be used on a daily basis hence the purchase of the RS5. Having driven both I prefer the sound of the RS5 but the looks of the r8

The A8 is for sure more comfortable and for the cost of an RS5 you can easily get in an A8 so i disagree with your statement about the A8 being premium over an RS5. I've got two friends with A8s and they'd rather have something more sporty but appreciate the comfort. Comfort is not something that brings respect it is something you want when you get older.

It's going to be interesting to see what comes out of the discussions about the RS brand and the diesel technology. The bi-turbos coming out now are great. BMW stole an early lead with the M series diesels which Audi could counter / beat easily with the diesel technology that have inside but with they RS badge it or leave it outside.

As a daily runner with the taxes that have just hit Belgium for cars the Q7 3.0 diesel bi-turbo would be great if they ever launch it . . . with an R8 v12 TDI in the garage
Old 07-09-2012, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by stani
The RS badge has always been the flagship, historically, for Audi in terms of performance...The A8 is for sure more comfortable and for the cost of an RS5 you can easily get in an A8 so i disagree with your statement about the A8 being premium over an RS5. I've got two friends with A8s and they'd rather have something more sporty but appreciate the comfort. Comfort is not something that brings respect it is something you want when you get older.
Don't mean to start a contest over this, but...Your original statement was: "The new look is great however this is being rolled out on a number of audi ranges now making my RS5 look dated already when this is supposed to be the flag ship brand of Audi."

Factually incorrect---The A8/S8 is at present Audi's "flagship" platform, as defined by the car manufacturer's own positioning of its topline luxury platform. For example, this is how Audi, AG recognizes the A8 in their own press releases:

Mar 6, 2012 , INGOLSTADT, Germany
The Audi A8, the Audi A8 L, the Audi A8 hybrid and the Audi A8 L W12

"The Audi A8 and the long-wheelbase A8 L are the sportiest luxury sedans in their class. The Audi flagship combines dynamic exterior design and sporty handling with supreme comfort & convenience equipment and luxurious interior design..."

Now, with your revised statement: "The RS badge has always been the flagship, historically, for Audi in terms of performance." That is more accurate as it stands on the specifics related to Audi's performance platforms---something quite different than originally stated.

"Comfort is not something that brings respect it is something you want when you get older." Sorry, but that comes across as a perjoratively nonsensical statement on varying levels. Certainly not accurate as it pertains to the overall Audi line-up and corporate image. Respect is not limited to a single dimension---Audi is currently garnering a significant level of respect, not only due to the new D4 A8, but also the C7 A7 and A6 (not to mention the S7 and S6) which are all generating rave reviews. In the "D" luxury segment, the D4 A8 has enabled Audi to be successfully market positioned (at least for the moment) alongside/or ahead of the BMW 7-series and Merc S550---which I believe many would define as achieving industry RESPECT in the luxury class. Now, when you get more granular and narrow your statement to performance, then you have a case to be made as it relates to the RS badge; no denying that.

To put things in perspective from an "older" guy's POV (someone who has driven many different Audi vehicles over the years): when you option a D4 A8/A8L with the Audi Drive Select Plus package (or the Sports package), and put the car in DYNAMIC mode for the tranny/engine, steering, suspension and rear differential---lux comfort is accompanied by an amazing sports rush that transforms both this particular car and its driver... Clearly not on an RS level, but for some of us (older or younger), we'd rather have something more comfortable, but appreciate something more sporty to go with it on occasion. Wanna race, sonny ;^)

Last edited by derfA8L; 07-09-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess this debate won't end anytime soon. Semantics is one problem, and the other problem is the meaning of 'Flagship' may have blurred over the years.

You can say the "RS" signature is at the top of the line, in terms of 'performance audi cars' - RS6, RS5, RS4, RS3 and the TTRS. I don't know if the "R" in the R8 puts it in the RS category or above the RS, because like the RS series - the R8 is a performance car in all levels (brakes, engine, seats, etc).

While the term 'Flagship' always refer traditionally to the A8/S8 when Audi was not that well known in the USA and worldwide (maybe 10 years ago), the meaning of 'Flagship' somehow changed when Audi brought in the R8 and it got more publicity with the Ironman movie. The R8 is the "Halo car" of Audi that BMW does not have. And BMW is trying to bring in their own Halo car.

Now of course, the R8 while being the new face bringing Audi's popularity the last few years and bringing in more visibility to Audi, is not the typical daily driver car like the A8. So, I could see why people looking for both 'performance' and 'practicality' combine would look up the the RS series as the 'Flagship' in the "Performance" arena. But overall or in general, the A8 is still the traditional and official flagship car.

All I'm saying is that the meaning of Flagship as a singular category has changed as there's more market demand for performance cars. As an analogy, there use to be one category in the Oscars for 'Best Actor' - and now that has changed to 'Best Actor for Drama' and 'Best Actor for Comedy'. So, Flagship for Performance & Flagship in General can be 2 categories. But I would say, the R8 GT is the Flagship for performance alone.

Last edited by ayap; 07-09-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll repeat the fact that Audi calls the A8 platform their "flagship.". Nothing more to say on the topic.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Don't mean to start a contest over this, but...Your original statement was: "The new look is great however this is being rolled out on a number of audi ranges now making my RS5 look dated already when this is supposed to be the flag ship brand of Audi."

Factually incorrect---The A8/S8 is at present Audi's "flagship" platform, as defined by the car manufacturer's own positioning of its topline luxury platform. For example, this is how Audi, AG recognizes the A8 in their own press releases:

Mar 6, 2012 , INGOLSTADT, Germany
The Audi A8, the Audi A8 L, the Audi A8 hybrid and the Audi A8 L W12

"The Audi A8 and the long-wheelbase A8 L are the sportiest luxury sedans in their class. The Audi flagship combines dynamic exterior design and sporty handling with supreme comfort & convenience equipment and luxurious interior design..."

Now, with your revised statement: "The RS badge has always been the flagship, historically, for Audi in terms of performance." That is more accurate as it stands on the specifics related to Audi's performance platforms---something quite different than originally stated.

"Comfort is not something that brings respect it is something you want when you get older." Sorry, but that comes across as a perjoratively nonsensical statement on varying levels. Certainly not accurate as it pertains to the overall Audi line-up and corporate image. Respect is not limited to a single dimension---Audi is currently garnering a significant level of respect, not only due to the new D4 A8, but also the C7 A7 and A6 (not to mention the S7 and S6) which are all generating rave reviews. In the "D" luxury segment, the D4 A8 has enabled Audi to be successfully market positioned (at least for the moment) alongside/or ahead of the BMW 7-series and Merc S550---which I believe many would define as achieving industry RESPECT in the luxury class. Now, when you get more granular and narrow your statement to performance, then you have a case to be made as it relates to the RS badge; no denying that.

To put things in perspective from an "older" guy's POV (someone who has driven many different Audi vehicles over the years): when you option a D4 A8/A8L with the Audi Drive Select Plus package (or the Sports package), and put the car in DYNAMIC mode for the tranny/engine, steering, suspension and rear differential---lux comfort is accompanied by an amazing sports rush that transforms both this particular car and its driver... Clearly not on an RS level, but for some of us (older or younger), we'd rather have something more comfortable, but appreciate something more sporty to go with it on occasion. Wanna race, sonny ;^)
That's pretty funny. Wanna race sonny:-) Does the A8 with an anchor to throw out of the window when you go around corners :-) Having had an S8 not long after they came out (for 2 years) i know the car can shift and the v10 is fun to listen to in the tunnels especially.

Flagship as one of the posters said is multi-dimensional. What's premium for a 20 year old is going to be different for a 50 year-old. What Audi has to do it to cater for these needs and position along the age curve building premiums/flagships based on the age/need/aspiration

btw if anyone wants to race I've got a modified Lamborghini in the garage but i guess someone is going to tell me that the A8 is the flagship to that right :-)

As a last snippet. I do like the A8 and think it is a great car. Flagship for luxury/comfort

Quick Reply: Anyone else disappointed with the RS5?