Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Anyone seen the 2013 Piano Black instrument panel surround in person?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi there and sorry for the late reply. I have had no issues with the piano black interior, I should also mention that when I purchased the car it had 49,000 miles on it and it still looks great (the interior in general), so I would assume that by now, issues would have been obvious. Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kidentist
Hi there and sorry for the late reply. I have had no issues with the piano black interior, I should also mention that when I purchased the car it had 49,000 miles on it and it still looks great (the interior in general), so I would assume that by now, issues would have been obvious. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input. At 49K miles, I'm assuming there had to be at least some noticeable blemishes on the piano black areas, or a couple of scuffs, no? If not, that's amazing. Not sure how to reconcile this with everything I've read about the piano scratching so easily, but I guess not all car owners are equal in this regard. Some people do more damage to a car in 5K miles than others in 100K miles.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Smith837
Thanks for the input. At 49K miles, I'm assuming there had to be at least some noticeable blemishes on the piano black areas, or a couple of scuffs, no? If not, that's amazing. Not sure how to reconcile this with everything I've read about the piano scratching so easily, but I guess not all car owners are equal in this regard. Some people do more damage to a car in 5K miles than others in 100K miles.
In all fairness, the previous owner was fastidious about the car's upkeep, trust me, I can tell.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kidentist
In all fairness, the previous owner was fastidious about the car's upkeep, trust me, I can tell.
Thank you! Makes sense.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more I look at that black surround, the more I really want it. I think it will look really good as all the other trim is already piano black. Anyone know if the switch is a big ordeal or not?
Old 06-14-2012, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by knuckleheadjcz
The more I look at that black surround, the more I really want it. I think it will look really good as all the other trim is already piano black. Anyone know if the switch is a big ordeal or not?
That was my thinking as well! Ordered it. Still a bit unsure I've done the right thing not having seen it in person. I know I'll like the carbon (have that now)...might light SS/piano better or as much. Fingers crossed.

As for switching your order, it'll really depend on where it is in Audi's system. It is possible to modify orders up to a point, but once they go into production -- or get close to production -- all bets are off. The only way to know is to ask your dealer. They may need to call the factory to inquire. Good luck. (FWIW, you can always order another car if you can manage the additional wait time.)
Old 06-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I didn't mean to switch the order on the car, I already have the car. I meant the actual swap of the trim. Sorry for the confusion. If you don't mind me asking, where did you order it from?
Old 06-14-2012, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I didn't mean to switch the order on the car, I already have the car. I meant the actual swap of the trim. Sorry for the confusion. If you don't mind me asking, where did you order it from?
Oh, that makes sense. Looks like I'm causing confusion as well, since what I meant was, I just ordered a 2013 from Audi with the Stainless Steel Mesh inlays option and Piano Black surround (so not talking replacement parts). Guessing you could always order the part from Audi and have your dealer install it -- I can't imagine that would be a hard thing to do, assuming you want to put it on a 2013. Was the instrument panel the same design for any of the pre-facelift model years? (It's not for MY2010.)
Old 06-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Actually, I have an '11 with Ti package, so everything except for the dash surround is already piano black. I just want the piano black dash surround. The only place I have been able to find it online is a place in Germany (BKS tuning), but I was hoping to find one in the states. It may not even exist for my car for all I know. I have the 15k service in 28 days, so I may just look into it while at the dealer at that time. The more I think about it though, the more I really want it.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Actually, I have an '11 with Ti package, so everything except for the dash surround is already piano black. I just want the piano black dash surround. The only place I have been able to find it online is a place in Germany (BKS tuning), but I was hoping to find one in the states. It may not even exist for my car for all I know. I have the 15k service in 28 days, so I may just look into it while at the dealer at that time. The more I think about it though, the more I really want it.
Everyone I've spoken with who has it really seems to love it (and prefer it over the standard "faux metal" silver surround). Keep us posted on what you find out/do. BTW, I know you said that you wipe down the piano with a microfiber. Do you find you need to wet the cloth in order to avoid scratching the plastic? Just want to know how careful one needs to be when clearing the dust. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Anyone seen the 2013 Piano Black instrument panel surround in person?