Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

BG: Audi A5 3.0 tdi revs limited to 2500 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BG: Audi A5 3.0 tdi revs limited to 2500 rpm

Hi Guys,

I have an Audi A5 2010 coupe 3.0 tdi, about 195000 km. Today, while driving, I got an rpm limiter indicator for the first time. The warning said "do not exceed max engine speed of 2500 rpm". You can see the two lapms I got inside, one inside the rev counter and the other one in the middle above the 0 km.h (see photo).

DO you have an idea what the problem is?

thanks a lot
Ivan
Old 12-30-2017, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kind of figured even before I saw your pic that I knew what it was. And given the time of year, this will be most prevalent.
Due to colder temps outside, longer engine warming up habits must be adopted. If the car has not reached a suitably safe coolant temp, it will invoke a small safety feature to prevent over-stressing the cold engine by limiting the engine rpms. Looking at your pic, your engine has not reached operating temps. And you don't necessarily need to reach the normal operating temps either, but if you tried to push/rev the engine after your initial start and drive, the ecu will see this and invoke this little safety measure.
There are a couple ways around this. One would be to allow it to sit and idle longer before driving. If unable to let sit for an adequate warming up period, try driving very easy on the throttle and adjust your driving to not push the rpm's. If that fails and the rpm indication pops up (which only pops up while driving), stop the car and shut off the engine for about a minute and then restart again. In most cases, the rpm indication will not re-appear because you have already driven on that indication which means the engine has also had time to warm up. I did a little test on this when this occurred to me as it happens all the time because of the winter temps I live in. I left home after a brief warm up period (but obviously not long enough) and the indication popped shortly down the road. I continued driving like this for another 20 minutes whereupon it was clear to me that the engine had long past reached it's full warmed up operating temps. The rpm indication will remain on indefinitely until you actually stop the car and shut it down and then re-start again.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Dont think this fault came as a result of weather, in RSA the weather is warm and I drove my Q7 close to 100km then the glow plug and mx engine speed light came up.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Same, this happened to me after driving nearly 30km - when overtaking a truck and trailer - and i had to kick down. Dangerous, lost all power as it throttled the revs.
Old 03-27-2023, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bongani45
Dont think this fault came as a result of weather, in RSA the weather is warm and I drove my Q7 close to 100km then the glow plug and mx engine speed light came up.
I am also having the same problem with my AUDI Q7 TDI. I happens often when I am at 4th ou 5th when I'm on a climb and I don't know what really causes this problem. I also this is not related to weather.The climate here in Mozambique is tropical and it is almost hot in all seasons.
The following users liked this post:
Jezign (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Speed exceeded at 4000 rpm, A3

I have been having this problem in my A3. I get the RPM speed exceeded warning anytime I accelerate even slightly agressive, yet prior to reaching the displayed rpms. Sends me into "safe mode". Cannot figure this one one out to save my life. I've been searching and asking questions for months. My mechanic (vw certified) is baffled.