Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi A5 3.2 Transmission

Old 02-02-2019, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A5 3.2 Transmission

What’s up guys, if anyone’s has any suggestions on what they think my problem could be please let me know. I have a 2009 Audi A5 3.2 6 Speed Automatic.

So let’s begin with my engine swap. I swapped my 186k mile motor out for one that has 47k miles. Engine was good everything checked out fine just one thing they had to use the same intake manifold from my last motor. Reason for the swap was because my engine would misfire consistently. I changed spark plugs, coils, Injectors, nothing worked therefore the last option was an engine due to my mechanic telling me I had bent valves due to carbon build up.

Whatever, I agreed cause I had multiple mechanics tell me it’s more worth getting a used motor rather than fixing the one I had. Not a problem.

I picked up the car about 2 days ago. Turned it on @ 20 degrees Fahrenheit meaning the car should cold start but that did not occur. Instead the RPMs stayed at about 800 which is normal idle. No cold start RPMs none of that. Engine sounds healthy though.

Moving on, I put the car in drive took about 3 seconds to engage D. I thought ok so the car hasn’t been driven in over a month that I had it at the shop so maybe that’s why. Regardless I put the car in reverse and it doesn’t engage at all. I drive the car home, I parked it. Yesterday comes, I turned it on let it warm up for about 20-30 minutes. I put the car in drive and same thing happened, as a matter of fact took longer than 5 seconds.

I pulled off, 1st to 2nd was a weird shift, 2nd to 3rd just slipped, 3rd to 4th slipped and missed 4th went back to 3rd got a transmission malifuntion. So I turned off the car and back on. I pulled off again went through 3rd gear then while approaching a stop light I’m obviously slowing down watching the gear changes, car went down to D2, then as I came to a complete stop went to D4-D5 and back to D4 took about 5 seconds and went down to D1 and I felt it. Ended up parking the car.

Today came, I decided to head back to the shop. Turned the car on at about 8am. Starting moving at 8:45 BARELY, it didn’t want to engage any gear. As a matter of fact I made it 2 blocks away from my house and it just didn’t want to move. It went into D1, I press the gas all I would get is revving but the gears would switch D2-D3 and boom “transmission malifunction” light. I turned it off turned it back on, I put the car in reverse, no reverse neither just revving. Then odd enough, I got a different transmission malifunction this time “No reverse gear”. Called the shop, they sent the tow truck.

Any ideas on what my problem could be? I understand that the transmission still has 186k miles but trust me when I say, I never had issues like this with it. NEVER. If anyone knows anything or has any suggestions please let me know