Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi S5 2010 -> 2014 facelift project

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audi S5 2010 -> 2014 facelift project

After completing a similar project on wife's Q5 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2845407&page=2) I'm ready to start working on my S5.

On the Q5 the swap was easy, as I was able to swap the headlights and tails without messing up with the bodywork. With the S5, is a bit more difficoult, as it requires a major front rebuild and (optionally) also a rear bumper swap to make the tails fit perfectly.

My Q5 project have costed me only like $800 (after selling the old parts on ebay). The S5 will be much more, but I still hope to stay under $2000-$2500 after the old bits are sold.

I have already secured the FL head- and taillights :

Now the question is: what parts will be needed to do the conversion:

- headlights
- taillights
- front bumper (complete with grills, fogs, headlight washer nozzles etc)
- bonnet
- rear bumper
- rear harness adapters (the new tails's plugs do not fit - already checked that; the Q5 had the same issue)

I was told top and under (engine) covers are different as well.

Anything else ? I would like to collect all parts before starting the swap to limit the downtime.
The following users liked this post:
Prodeusor (06-25-2020)
Old 02-12-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elberoth
After completing a similar project on wife's Q5 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2845407&page=2) I'm ready to start working on my S5.

On the Q5 the swap was easy, as I was able to swap the headlights and tails without messing up with the bodywork. With the S5, is a bit more difficoult, as it requires a major front rebuild and (optionally) also a rear bumper swap to make the tails fit perfectly.

My Q5 project have costed me only like $800 (after selling the old parts on ebay). The S5 will be much more, but I still hope to stay under $2000-$2500 after the old bits are sold.

I have already secured the FL head- and taillights :

Now the question is: what parts will be needed to do the conversion:

- headlights
- taillights
- front bumper (complete with grills, fogs, headlight washer nozzles etc)
- bonnet
- rear bumper
- rear harness adapters (the new tails's plugs do not fit - already checked that; the Q5 had the same issue)

I was told top and under (engine) covers are different as well.

Anything else ? I would like to collect all parts before starting the swap to limit the downtime.
Why would you do this and not put that down as a down payment on a new one. I hate those new fog lights. This is the whole reason I'm buying an RS5 or s7 because of the front grille.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by s5forum
Why would you do this and not put that down as a down payment on a new one. I hate those new fog lights. This is the whole reason I'm buying an RS5 or s7 because of the front grille.
Well, I guess mostly 'cos it is a lot cheaper. My car is 5 years old, but only has 18k miles. Never driven in a snow etc, always kept is a garage with no sunlight. It basicly looks brand new, inside and out.

According to the insurance company, it is only worth $40k now. The new one, would set me back $100k over here. So that is $60k difference. The FL will only cost me about $2k, after I sell the old parts, so some $58k less. For me it was a nobrainer.

Anyway, I'm already half way there. We did the test fitting yesterday. Everything worked as expected. The only bit that is still missing is some 90' elbow for the headlights washers. As it turned out, not only the headlights washers are different, but also that tiny part.

The parts went to the paint booth today. I expect to have the car ready next week. I will still need to go to another shop to swap the taillights and do the coding, but that is the easy part.

Some mid-work images. Sorry the car is not clean. It rained yesterday when the car was outside.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I guess mostly 'cos it is a lot cheaper. My car is 5 years old, but only has 18k miles. Never driven in a snow etc, always kept is a garage with no sunlight. It basicly looks brand new, inside and out.

According to the insurance company, it is only worth $40k now. The new one, would set me back $100k over here. So that is $60k difference. The FL will only cost me about $2k, after I sell the old parts, so some $58k less. For me it was a nobrainer.

Anyway, I'm already half way there. We did the test fitting yesterday. Everything worked as expected. The only bit that is still missing is some 90' elbow for the headlights washers. As it turned out, not only the headlights washers are different, but also that tiny part.

The parts went to the paint booth today. I expect to have the car ready next week. I will still need to go to another shop to swap the taillights and do the coding, but that is the easy part.

Some mid-work images. Sorry the car is not clean. It rained yesterday when the car was outside.

Oh wow it look beautiful!

Can you tell me, did you have to change the fender and hood?
Are only headlight, grill and little goodies!

Is that bolt on direct fit?

Thanks in advance, cant wait to see the final
Prodeusor (06-25-2020)
Old 05-27-2014, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vez514
Oh wow it look beautiful!

Can you tell me, did you have to change the fender and hood?
Are only headlight, grill and little goodies!

Is that bolt on direct fit?

Thanks in advance, cant wait to see the final
Sorry for the delay in replying. Fenders are the same. Hood needs to be changed, as it differs slightly where the hood meets the grill.

Everything is bolt on. You just need the parts.

I already got the car back. Going to the taillights change tomorrow and coding. I will publish the complete parts list and pics on weekend.
Prodeusor (06-25-2020)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Super!

Thank you Elberoth
Old 06-10-2014, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have finally found some time to take photos today.

Before:

After:

The project is almost ready, as I still have to change rear taillights for the FL ones. I was to do it last week, but was too busy at work to visit the shop in other town. For those, who still wonder why it is necessary to change the rear bumper as well, here is a close up image showing the difference between the outer shape of pre FL tails and FL ones. Obviously, the FL taillights follow the shape of the bumper. The old ones don't. If you change the tails and keep the old rear bumper, the lights will stick out a bit.

Last edited by Elberoth; 06-10-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In love! Amazing!!!
Will sure do that facelift on mine. Ill go with rs5 bumper that is made for the s5 and change the headlamp grill honeycomb and hood.

Thx Elboroth
Old 08-13-2014, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry for the delay in replying. Fenders are the same. Hood needs to be changed, as it differs slightly where the hood meets the grill.

Everything is bolt on. You just need the parts.

I already got the car back. Going to the taillights change tomorrow and coding. I will publish the complete parts list and pics on weekend.
Do you have a complete parts list that you have needed ?
How much did it cost you in total ?

Very nice project
Old 08-13-2014, 04:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cool project and you are doing a great job.
I agree - your car is basically new with only 18,000 miles, so it might as well look like a new one.

Enjoy your ride!

Quick Reply: Audi S5 2010 -> 2014 facelift project