Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi TT MK2 & Audi A5 B8 Coupe which is a better option?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi TT MK2 & Audi A5 B8 Coupe which is a better option?

I'm planning to purchase a used audi.

Audi TT has always been my dream car but only some cars falls within my budget.
Currently i'm eyeing on a 2008 Audi TT mk2 with 50k miles on it fully kitted up, while i have another option which is the Audi A5 Coupe B8 2014 with 50k miles too. (Both using the 2.0L engine) Prices are roughly the same

I have friends saying that the A5 will encounter pistons issues etc etc, i'm currently located in ASIA so the weather is really hot.

Which will be a better choice? Personally, i prefer the TT in terms of looks but its a 11 years old car so i'm afraid that i might run into problems in the near future.

Would really appreciate your suggestions and what i should be prepared for in terms of repairs/replacements etc
(I do not know about cars at all......)
Old 05-31-2019, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I looked at the same two cars before I decided on the Audi A5. The 2008 TT you're looking is likely to be more problematic than the 2014 A5. The problem is not related to the weather, it is because the design of the 2008 engine is not as refined as the 2014. It may have problems with oil burning, the timing chain tensioner failing, the water pump leaking, the intake flaps breaking, and many other engine issues. The transmission on the 2008 TT is also an earlier design than the A5, so that is also prone to failing, especially in hot weather. So for reliability, I would choose the A5. I don't know about repair prices in Asia, but Audi's are expensive to repair and maintain in the USA.

The TT looks great. And since you're in Asia, you may like its smaller size to manuever around the narrow streets in the city. I chose the A5 because I'm in the USA and space is less of an issue here. I've always wanted a TT since I was young, but I ended up with the A5 because it's bigger inside, more comfortable, and is super smooth while driving.

So the TT is cooler, but the A5 is much more practical for comfort and $$$. If it's a fun car, then I would choose the TT. If it's a car I drive every day for a long time for work, then I would choose the A5.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by findalex
I looked at the same two cars before I decided on the Audi A5. The 2008 TT you're looking is likely to be more problematic than the 2014 A5. The problem is not related to the weather, it is because the design of the 2008 engine is not as refined as the 2014. It may have problems with oil burning, the timing chain tensioner failing, the water pump leaking, the intake flaps breaking, and many other engine issues. The transmission on the 2008 TT is also an earlier design than the A5, so that is also prone to failing, especially in hot weather. So for reliability, I would choose the A5. I don't know about repair prices in Asia, but Audi's are expensive to repair and maintain in the USA.

The TT looks great. And since you're in Asia, you may like its smaller size to manuever around the narrow streets in the city. I chose the A5 because I'm in the USA and space is less of an issue here. I've always wanted a TT since I was young, but I ended up with the A5 because it's bigger inside, more comfortable, and is super smooth while driving.

So the TT is cooler, but the A5 is much more practical for comfort and $$$. If it's a fun car, then I would choose the TT. If it's a car I drive every day for a long time for work, then I would choose the A5.
Thank you for your insights! Much appreciated!
The TT will be my recreational car, i believe i wont be clocking more then 3000 miles annually thus i'm in a dilemma. (I'm situated in bangkok)
Planning to use the car for a good 2 years before selling it off because the TT has always been my dream car since young, but i dont mind going for the A5 too.
Audi's comprises less then 3% of the car population in thailand thus the repair costs are a bomb over here. Hard decision for me make
Old 06-05-2019, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I love Bangkok! I was there 2 years ago but spent most of my time in Phuket. Traffic is crazy in Bangkok, but once you get out, you can really enjoy your Audi. If you get an A5, I highly recommend a quattro.