Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

B9 S5 Sportback goes Live

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts
Default B9 S5 Sportback goes Live

In a turnaround from all the delays on the B9 S4, Audi have gone from the official unveiling of the new S5 Sportback at this week's Paris Motor Show to going live on the German configurator in the space of 24 hours.

Pricing is identical to the S5 coupé, so around 5% more than an S4 sedan. Options are similar. The Paris motor show car is in Nardo Grey, with 20" rotors (and 265/30 ZR20 tyres, Continental SportContacts and not Hankooks ). None of which are possible to order, of course.

Weight is 1735kg/~3800lb, which is a useful reduction from the B8 S5 SB, which was a heavy car for its size. Weight will be heavier for USA cars, as they always seem to come "standard" with heavy options, such as sunroof, etc.

Configurator is here, use a translator or stumble through using the "i" to bring up pictures:

Pakete > S5 Sportback > Audi Deutschland
Old 10-03-2016, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Any idea when deliveries will commence in the EU? Have S4 deliveries begun yet?
Old 10-03-2016, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea when this will hit the US market?

And the S5 are still being built in Germany correct?

Sorry, but if I am buying a German automobile it better be darn built in Germany.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JD15
Any idea when deliveries will commence in the EU? Have S4 deliveries begun yet?
S4 deliveries have just begun in some markets. Am hoping to drive one later this week.

S5 Sportback deliveries, in Germany at least, should start in December. The S5 Coupé has already been on sale for a month, and should appear in November. The Sportback version outsells the Coupé in Europe.

Audi do set quotas by country/region. In Germany, the S4 Avant seems to be on a 6 month delivery timing at the moment, due to high demand. Not affecting the sedan, which is much less popular than the Avant here.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by thehaviet
Any idea when this will hit the US market?

And the S5 are still being built in Germany correct?

Sorry, but if I am buying a German automobile it better be darn built in Germany.
Yes, they are being built at Ingolstadt AFAIK. Some B9 cars may be built at Neckarsulm as well.

The timetable has always been April/May 2017 for the US, to coincide with the US MY18 sales programme.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ummm.....am I seeing things but when you look at the dash view of the interior, it sure looks as if it has three pedals and a dead pedal even though it clearly has an automatic gear lever. Maybe there is still hope for a manual in the S5...or that just wishful thinking....

Last edited by Jamblastx; 10-04-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jamblastx
Ummm.....am I seeing things but when you look at the dash view of the interior, it sure looks as if it has three pedals and a dead pedal even though it clearly has an automatic gear lever. Maybe there is still hope for a manual in the S5...or that just wishful thinking....
You're right! But they sell the A4 2.0TDI quattro in Germany with a 6 speed manual option. It can be dressed up in Sport version, with S Sport seats, flat bottomed wheel, and that's just what it's internal render looks like.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamblastx
The problem is that the manual is only available in FWD and quattro Ultra configurations for the B9 platform, not for the traditional quattro with a center differential, making it unlikely for the S4 and S5.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JD15
The problem is that the manual is only available in FWD and quattro Ultra configurations for the B9 platform, not for the traditional quattro with a center differential, making it unlikely for the S4 and S5.
This did seem to be the way it was going, but the 2.0TDI quattro with manual transmission I referred to above is using the permanent self-locking centre differential version of quattro, not quattro Ultra according to the German site. Obviously, Audi will not be bringing this model to the USA.

Still, it is unlikely for a whole host of reasons that have already been discussed many times before.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome to see this! It seems the B9 interior doesn't have the full LCD instrument cluster like the A/S4?

Quick Reply: B9 S5 Sportback goes Live