Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Bike Rack on an A5

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bike Rack on an A5

I have seen a few threads asking about a roof rack for the A/S5. Here a few pics of mine with the bicycle attachment. I know many of you cringe at the idea of putting a rack on your car, but honestly, its a great system and easily removed when not needed.
Attached Images   
Old 05-08-2009, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZAudiFan
I have seen a few threads asking about a roof rack for the A/S5. Here a few pics of mine with the bicycle attachment. I know many of you cringe at the idea of putting a rack on your car, but honestly, its a great system and easily removed when not needed.
I'm glad you posted this nonetheless, because I also have a bike (a road bike) and one of the practical reasons why I've decided to buy this car (A5) is because of the amount of cargo space this car affords when the rear seats are folded down. Currently, I have a rack that I mount to the tail of my vehicle to carry my bike.

I've taken measurements of my bike (08 Trek Madone 4.7 - wheels on or off) -and the A5's cargo volume with seats folded down is more than adequate to accomodate my bike. Did you decide to go with the roof rack because of access (easier loading/unloading) of the bike or for some other reason? Would like to know and also would like to know who makes the rack you have on your car - because you stated it can easily be removed when not needed.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went with a rack so I can carry two bikes - I put all the gear and front tires in the trunk. The rack is made by Thule, however the cross bars are specifically made to fit the A/S5 which you have to purchase from the dealer.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went with a rack so I can carry two bikes - I put all the gear and front tires in the trunk. The rack is made by Thule, however the cross bars are specifically made to fit the A/S5 which you have to purchase from the dealer.
Yes, thanks for posting the photos. I have a 2010 A5 on order, and at times, I will need to transport two bikes. I had asked a couple dealers if they could confirm that Thule mounts would fit the Audi cross bars made for the A5, but I couldn't get a definitive answer. This verifies that there will not be a problem. One question: Are the cross bar towers that attach to the roof of the car lockable? The description of the system that is for sale on audiusa.com does not indicate if they are. I hope they are. Until Thule or Yakima (both lockable) make a system that fits the roof of the A5, it looks like the Audi system is the only game in town.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

So can the rack from Thule and the cross bars from Audi be completely removed? In other words, 100% of the system and it's components can be removed to leave a "clean car" as the moment you picked it up from the dealer? I ask this because I'm not at all familiar with roof-mounted bike racks.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes that is correct...
Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

The cross bar actually mount under the small rubber seal just above the window line..and they lock with a torsion wrench that is unique to each set of bars. Also, the Thule bike racks I purchased lock with the bike on or off the car, ensuring no one can steal the attachment or your bike.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

The cross bar actually mount under the small rubber seal just above the window line..and they lock with a torsion wrench that is unique to each set of bars. Also, the Thule bike racks I purchased lock with the bike on or off the car, ensuring no one can steal the attachment or your bike.
Ok, so I have another question. Does the roof rack system interfere at all with the operation of the sunroof? Thanks again for all the useful information.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

No, not at all.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are these the peloton or echolon racks? And did you need the Thule adapter 9 kit?

Thanks,
Dave

Quick Reply: Bike Rack on an A5