Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

blind spot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blind spot?

I am looking at buying a new S5 cabriolet. I have noted that the blind spot is a bit larger compared with the hardtop convertible I last owned. Any safety concerns?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With properly adjusted mirrors there's no such thing as a 'blind spot'.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/avoiding-blind-spot-6
Old 04-12-2012, 04:08 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn

Old 04-12-2012, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn

AMEN!! It makes me nuts to get in a car and be able to see the sides of the car in the side view mirrors
Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bb vign
AMEN!! It makes me nuts to get in a car and be able to see the sides of the car in the side view mirrors
Yep. And it makes me nuts to be driving behind a car (or worse, SUV) and being able to see the driver's face in all 3 of his mirrors at the same time! Of course if you pull up in the adjacent lane he has no idea that you're there.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ChipB
Yep. And it makes me nuts to be driving behind a car (or worse, SUV) and being able to see the driver's face in all 3 of his mirrors at the same time! Of course if you pull up in the adjacent lane he has no idea that you're there.
Especially at night - you would think people would get tired of having the light from the headlights of the car behind them shining in via both side mirrors!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove a Cabriolet for two years and only found parking diagonally an issue with the thick roof. My new one has the blind spot warning light and that's VERY nice. I am pretty capable of changing lanes without incident but the extra assurance is nice. It's helpful too with the dimming sideview mirrors since visibility is slightly reduced when they are activated.

If you order your car, you may consider getting that option if you are that concerned about it.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Try a D3 A8. Almost as bad as a Countach. The sideview mirrors are entirely inadequate. They are small for style's sake, which is good, but some nitwit at our government mandated that the driver's side can't be wide angle/fisheye/aspherical, so there is waaaay too small a field of view. There is no way one can set up the driver's side adequately. Add to this the facts that the rear-view mirror is unusually small and the long slope of the back window and the huge c-pillars and large immovable headrests that block two-thirds of the view out the back. (Yes I am aware I can buy a euro-mirror replacement glass from OEMplus for $180 w/o auto dim)
It's like many beautiful things, we must suffer for aesthetics. I once saw a sig on a Ferrari forum with a picture of Cindy Crawford and words to the effect "Would you give her up just because she costs you a thousand a month, flakes out at the last minute and takes three hours to get ready to go out? I doubt it." Oh, how we suffer!