Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

BMW 328i to 2015 or 2016 S5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 328i to 2015 or 2016 S5?

Hey Everyone,

I have a 2011 328i, which I've enjoyed driving for the past 3 or 4 years, but since the moment I got it, I wish I had gotten something with a bit more power, although it did serve its intended economic purpose as a good ~80 mile daily commute car.

But I've worked my *** off these past two years, and I feel like I deserve something nicer and faster.

I'm really, really considering getting an S5 in the next month, month and a half. Either a 2015 or 2016 S5, and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on either year. The S5 looks gorgeous, and from what I've read and seen, that 333 horsepower is a joy to drive.

While the S5 is at the forefront of my consideration, I'm also flirting with the idea of getting either a 2015 M4 or RS5, just because I know I'd hold on to one of those cars a lot longer, as I see myself moving on to an RS5 or M4 in about two and a half or three years. Still, I've had patience with holding off on getting a car in that tier, and I can wait a few more years for it.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 12-23-2017, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Welcome. Sounds like you're leaning towards an S5. You would do well to check into a one owner, CPO S5. These B8.5 (2013-2017) have the supercharged V6 with either MT or 7sp dual clutch. Plus, once out of warranty, lots of potential for tuning upgrades.

I'd stay away from any RS5...2013-2015. They are high strung cars that have had brake problems and some suspension issues. Problems seldom seen on the S5. Plus tuning options are few, if any. In addition, getting any RS5, one owner CPO is near impossible. You do not want this car without some type of warranty. Yes, a 2015 could still have some factory warranty, but if purchased or leased in 2014, it'll expire sometime in 2018. If anything, wait on the B9 RS5, where possibly, the brake issues have been resolved.

Don't know much about the M4, although did drive one, it was very nice, big heavy RWD car.

Last edited by lmariorod; 12-23-2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the welcome!

And thank you for taking your time in replying. I definitely appreciate it.

Your response has definitely encouraged me to focus on the S5. The potential brake problems and suspension issues you mention in the 2013 - 2015 RS5 sounds like the headaches that I want to minimize when getting my next car.

Do you know if there are any such headaches, if any, associated with S5's between 2015 - 2017?

I think my focus, now, is on determining which year in the 2015 - 2017 range is best. Aesthetically, they all look very nice to me and I would be happy with either, so looks are not too much of a factor at this moment.

Price, reliability, and potential issues then become the significant factors.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 12-24-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much about the '15 thru '17 S5, but they are similar to my 2013, save for the black optic package, that I could not get on my 2013. They are similar in power train, appearance and general reliability. Mine is 5.5 year old and although not a DD, I've not had any serious issues with it, save for a new battery and a broken sunroof shade screen.

Some on here have mentioned a brake squeal from time to time, but other than that, nothing major.

If I were looking for an S5, I'd like to shop a 1 owner, Audi maintained, CPO with sports diff...with a bonus of Audi Care included.
Good luck with your search. You'll love the car.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I appreciate your advice! Thank you for it! I'll keep it all in mind in my search. I'm looking forward to the car.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd still consider an RS5. One owner cars are not that hard to find and there are always a few CPO's running around. The brake issue is easily solved and doesn't affect everyone. Can be as simple as a brake pad swap. You can also find them, like I did, with ceramic fronts. Problem solved. They're very reliable cars overall and I'm not sure what suspension issue is being referred to since the S5/RS5 suspension, other than spring and damper rates, are mostly identical. In Europe, they did have problems with the RS5 suspension but we don't get the same suspension here. It's fixed. There's no supercharger or related plumbing to fail either. Easier to work on too and the engines have been proven to be bulletproof. Other than the known brake disk issues, there's really not much to report. It's very important to make sure it's had all of it's services done in a timely fashion and that is kept up in the future. The maintenance really isn't that bad. There's 15K, 25K, 35K which tend to be bigger in terms of what's done and cost. 45K is fairly benign and 55K is a big service too (by big I mean having the S-tronic and rear diff serviced). I was quoted $400 by an indy shop to do the S-Tronic (both mechanical and auto sides) and rear diff service.

I purchased mine without a warranty and as of right now, really have no plans to purchase one. I'm also mechanically inclined and have the tools to work on it if needed. Both suffer from carbon issues but it's a lot easier to get to the intake ports on the RS5 even though there are two more ports to clean I've found the car to be very solidly built despite a few squeaks here and there. There's really nothing like it either. The combination of the engine/transmission is pretty magical as is the sound it all makes. It's a really special car.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi there--

So this is interesting: The first car I leased when I finally got my "real" job was a 2011 328i. It was a very nice vehicle to drive (although I did also test drive a 335i and wish I had taken that one because it was so much more powerful). I've had a couple of vehicles since trading in the 328 a few years ago, but this past October I purchased a CPO 2015 S5, manual transmission with black optics package (to replace my 2015 A6).

There are few times when I miss having 4 doors, but other than that, the S5 is a blast to drive. You are right: it is a gorgeous car, and I still receive complements on it. I agree with looking for a CPO: you'll have the confidence of having most issues covered (although I have had zero problems with it so far).

I commute an hour to work (to the frozen tundra/snow belt that is interstate 81 North/Watertown, NY) and with snow tires, the car handles like a dream. The only issue I have is trying to keep salt off of a black vehicle The moment I stepped on the gas on the highway with the S5 I was sold. Very comfortable on my long commute, yet has almost instantaneous power available when I need/want it. Absolutely test drive one; my guess is you'll be hooked like I was!

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision!
Old 12-31-2017, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

CPO was the way to go for me - Audi gives you additional warranty coverage - 2 years, 50k miles, whichever comes first. This warranty kicks in after the 4 year 50K initial warranty ends. In my case I just purchased a 2015 A5 with 12K miles, and the warranties cover me until 2021 or 100K miles, whichever comes first.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rjammo
CPO was the way to go for me - Audi gives you additional warranty coverage - 2 years, 50k miles, whichever comes first. This warranty kicks in after the 4 year 50K initial warranty ends. In my case I just purchased a 2015 A5 with 12K miles, and the warranties cover me until 2021 or 100K miles, whichever comes first.
Wow--such low mileage! Congrats---it's a fun ride, for sure!
Old 01-01-2018, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

About 6 months ago, I bought an off-lease 2014 S5 with 14,200 miles for $39K. It's almost a new car.

I bought the extended warranty...so I have coverage for the next 5 years.

I love it.

I can't give you any advice on a BMW, but I am really enjoy the S5. My previous performance cars were different. 2006 and 2004 Pontiac GTO. Big V8 and a fantastic 4 speed auto..tuned to about 440HP.. In reality, I haven't missed a single horse....

My low mileage S5 experience has been perfect. I hope you have as good a luck as I have had so far...

Wayne

Quick Reply: BMW 328i to 2015 or 2016 S5?