Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Cabriolet rear creaking/clacking noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabriolet rear creaking/clacking noise

Hey all,

Don't know why I've never thought to ask on here.

I have a B8 convertible that has this clacking noise from the rear ever since I got it. The noise appears to be only at low speeds, and the Audi dealer has no thoughts on the matter besides lubricating the whole rear "shelf" (that pops up to reveal the top storage compartment behind the rear headrests). The noise doesn't appear to be present with the top down (or perhaps just because it's too loud), which leads me to believe that it's related to said shelf, but adjusting the rubber stoppers back there doesn't seem to do much. Maybe it's not even the rear shelf at fault?

I recorded the noise by propping my phone atop the wind deflector and attached the results. Files are named by the second in which the noise occurs and numbered by which is clearest (IMO).

Would be greatly appreciative of any advice that may help get this solved!

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
1. 13s, 18s, 21s.mp3 (1.09 MB, 137 views)
2. 2s, 6s.mp3 (455.2 KB, 101 views)
4. 8s, 24s (Rain).mp3 (1.23 MB, 71 views)
Old 01-16-2018, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by harushi
Hey all,

Don't know why I've never thought to ask on here.

I have a B8 convertible that has this clacking noise from the rear ever since I got it. The noise appears to be only at low speeds, and the Audi dealer has no thoughts on the matter besides lubricating the whole rear "shelf" (that pops up to reveal the top storage compartment behind the rear headrests). The noise doesn't appear to be present with the top down (or perhaps just because it's too loud), which leads me to believe that it's related to said shelf, but adjusting the rubber stoppers back there doesn't seem to do much. Maybe it's not even the rear shelf at fault?

I recorded the noise by propping my phone atop the wind deflector and attached the results. Files are named by the second in which the noise occurs and numbered by which is clearest (IMO).

Would be greatly appreciative of any advice that may help get this solved!

Thanks!
Good afternoon, I don't have my '13 S5 cab anymore but I had the same sound in mine. The dealer could not fix it but I did. PM me and I can explain how!
Old 01-17-2018, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by saw1
Good afternoon, I don't have my '13 S5 cab anymore but I had the same sound in mine. The dealer could not fix it but I did. PM me and I can explain how!
PM sent! Thanks!
Old 11-28-2023, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by saw1
Could you please explain me how to fix this noise ?