Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Cabriolet vs Coupe

Old 08-25-2012, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabriolet vs Coupe

Hello guys

Im in the process of getting phantom S5 cabriolet but im having second thoughts about it

Money is not the issue so that is not what makes me hesitating

I think the coupe looks better than the Cabriolet and it performs better

i chose Cabriolet because im in California and i live near the beach

but im gonna use it mainly as a daily driver to school, so im not sure if im gonna cruise as much as im imagining.

Is the cab worth it?

i test drived both of them but im still confused, any insight will be appreciated
Old 08-26-2012, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I own a 2012 A5 Cab and agree with your comment that the coupe looks better than the cab with the top up.

However, with the top down, I love the look of the cab and really enjoy owning it.

I used to own a porsche boxster S and wish I had spent the extra money to get the S5. I opted not to get the S5 as it comes with summer tires and I did not want to have an extra set of wheels for winter driving.

Good luck with your decision. Either model (coupe or cab) is a great choice.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends largely on the part of the country you're living in. Here in the Northeast, I'd be able to use the cab a couple of months out of the year.
I asked my son this very question, and his reply was: Dad it's like a swimming pool, the first year, everybody is in the pool, the second year, some people are in the pool, the third year, a couple of people are in the pool. The fourth year, why open it?... it's a pain to open and keep clean. Besides, in a rollover you're better off with the hardtop. Pretty much sealed the deal on the coupe and no regrets. Here is a photo.

http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/...0Times%20Audi/
Old 08-26-2012, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I also live in Calif., So. Cal, and have an S5 coupe. Considered a cab briefly, then thought no way. The coupe looks better, and due to the lack of rain we get to clean the air and the roads, I would be cleaning the interior all the time. After I wash my car, and take a 2 mile trip to the store, it's covered in black dust. My wife has a hard top cab SLK 320, and if she puts the top down, forget wearing white and riding in the car.

One is either a hard core cab person or not. If on the fence, I'd say go for the coupe.

Just my 2 cents worth..good luck with your decision.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a decent article on the pros and cons:

http://blog.ucda.ca/convertible-pros-and-cons/
Old 08-26-2012, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Garage available ??

My Cabriolet is garaged..............every day. I almost never have to park it outdoors for more than a couple of hours. Ever. THIS is a major factor with me considering I live and drive in the southeastern U.S.
First, weather......sunlight, rain, heat...........will wear a soft top cab. Also I spend time where insects and bird droppings are in ample supply daily. A coupe would be much easier to clean if parked outdoors alot. Not a problem for me.
I gave up motorcycling after many years 2 months prior to taking delivery of my S5 Cab.
It's my new 4 wheeled cycle. LOL
There is no way to describe the joy I feel being able to drop the top anytime, nite or day, even if only for a short drive.
Wall to wall fun.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike182
My wife has a hard top cab SLK 320, and if she puts the top down, forget wearing white and riding in the car.
I live in So Cal, drive probably 3-4 days a week with the top down on my cab, and have not noticed this problem. Maybe it depends on the roads you drive. I definitely clean the inside of my car regularly, but I have done that with every car I've owned. I don't find this to be an issue.

I enjoy driving with the top down, and in that sense I'm happy I got the cabriolet. That said, I totally agree with the others that the coupe looks better than the cab with the top up, and that's one of my regrets with buying this car (though my wish is that I'd bought something different entirely, not an S5 coupe). I really don't like the way it looks with the top up.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sharding
I live in So Cal, drive probably 3-4 days a week with the top down on my cab, and have not noticed this problem. Maybe it depends on the roads you drive. I definitely clean the inside of my car regularly, but I have done that with every car I've owned. I don't find this to be an issue.

I enjoy driving with the top down, and in that sense I'm happy I got the cabriolet. That said, I totally agree with the others that the coupe looks better than the cab with the top up, and that's one of my regrets with buying this car (though my wish is that I'd bought something different entirely, not an S5 coupe). I really don't like the way it looks with the top up.

Do you think driving with the top down comprimises the bad look of the car with the top up?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Agreed the coupe's lines are better with the top up

I love driving top down at various times, all year round - even in the northwest. It's just fun. I love that the Audi top is of such high quality though, that when it's up..it's like a coupe inside. I haven't driven the new Porsche redesigned cabrio yet, but the Audi top is one of the reasons I chose an Audi for my all-wheel-drive cabrio fun for a while.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Coupes look better than cabriolets if the top is up, there's no question. But if that's the primary factor behind your purchase then frankly you should not even consider the cab.

Conversely I would say based on pure aesthetics, the S5 cab top-down in the summer will get far more second looks than the coupe.

I went with the cab because, despite living in Toronto, we get enough nice weather to make it worthwhile. Driving with the top down when it's nice out is an absolute pleasure. I also drive my car in the winter with winter tires, and it's great with quattro. And from the inside, the cab is very comfortable and outside noise is minimal with the top up.

I would also say the comments about the inside getting dirty and "forget about wearing white" are overblown in most circumstances.

If you get even a few good months a year of weather, I highly support the cab. If I lived in California it would be a no brainer in my view.

Dad it's like a swimming pool, the first year, everybody is in the pool, the second year, some people are in the pool, the third year, a couple of people are in the pool. The fourth year, why open it?...
Oh, and to answer this comment, the second year was way more fun than the first with the cab

Last edited by Toronto S5; 08-27-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cabriolet vs Coupe