Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Carbon Cleaning Adapter 2.0T, 3.0T, 3.2L, 4.0T, 4.2L, 5.2L, etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbon Cleaning Adapter 2.0T, 3.0T, 3.2L, 4.0T, 4.2L, 5.2L, etc

Just had my first carbon cleaning done on my 2008 A5 3.2L with 80k miles.
There wasn't a significant amount of carbon build up as compared to other engines I've seen, but nonetheless it has made a difference.
I purchased a media blasting machine (Harbour Frieght in the US and Princess Auto in Canada) and a 50LB bag of walnut shells..
I used the Ford Prefect (Audizine screen name) carbon cleaning adapter which makes the process quick, effective and clean.
My local euro shop did the carbon cleaning using that adapter as their compressor has an inline water/moisture eliminator which prevents the walnut shells from clumping and plugging up the blaster nozzle. My local shop asked to use the video I made of my carbon cleaning as part of a promo for them - this would explain the reason for the title of the video.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clean as a whistle!

Interesting video. Thanks for posting.
What was the cost of the media blaster, adapter, walnut shells, and labor? Was it competitive with the price a shop would charge for the entire procedure, using their own tools?
The adapter looks like it's made of plastic. 3D printed, I'm guessing. How sturdy is it?
Old 11-21-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I saw a youtube video of a guy using a large radiator hose connector to his wet/dry vacuum, then he inserted spray tip into the radiator hose through a hole in the hose. He was also using the Harbor Freight media blaster.

Same concept as the adapter here, but probably much cheaper. All you need is a flexible hose large enough and flexible enough so it fits the opening snug. Any walnut shell media that escapes outside can be blown away harmlessly with some air.

HF portable media blaster is about $30
If you don't already have a shop vacuum, you can pick one up for around $30 - 50 depending on size.
Walnut shell 25 lb for $25

Last edited by findalex; 11-21-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HamOnRye
Interesting video. Thanks for posting.
What was the cost of the media blaster, adapter, walnut shells, and labor? Was it competitive with the price a shop would charge for the entire procedure, using their own tools?
The adapter looks like it's made of plastic. 3D printed, I'm guessing. How sturdy is it?
The adapter was $40 from Ford Prefect on Audizine. The media blaster and 50LB walnut shells were from Princess Auto for $99 and $40 respectively.
I wasn't charged any labour as I was the one who provided the media blaster and walnut shells and adapter. So basically I got the labour for free in return for jump starting this carbon cleaning process for that shop. The cheapest prices for this same service in the Toronto area is from about $700 to $1000+ depending on engine type / number of cylinders.
The adapter is made of some sort of composite materiel and makes a snug fit into the intake port. That adapter seems to be quite strong/robust IMO.

Originally Posted by findalex
I saw a youtube video of a guy using a large radiator hose connector to his wet/dry vacuum, then he inserted spray tip into the radiator hose through a hole in the hose. He was also using the Harbor Freight media blaster.
Same concept as the adapter here, but probably much cheaper. All you need is a flexible hose large enough and flexible enough so it fits the opening snug. Any walnut shell media that escapes outside can be blown away harmlessly with some air.
HF portable media blaster is about $30
If you don't already have a shop vacuum, you can pick one up for around $30 - 50 depending on size.
Walnut shell 25 lb for $25
Interesting idea for an adapter. It doesn't seem to made a complete seal judging by the amount of stray walnut shells all over the engine.
HF does have much cheaper prices for their media blasters which is real nice.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Various versions of the adapter. The one used in my video is white.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jschrauwen
The adapter was $40 from Ford Prefect on Audizine. The media blaster and 50LB walnut shells were from Princess Auto for $99 and $40 respectively.
I wasn't charged any labour as I was the one who provided the media blaster and walnut shells and adapter. So basically I got the labour for free in return for jump starting this carbon cleaning process for that shop. The cheapest prices for this same service in the Toronto area is from about $700 to $1000+ depending on engine type / number of cylinders.
The adapter is made of some sort of composite materiel and makes a snug fit into the intake port. That adapter seems to be quite strong/robust IMO.
Congrats, you got quite a deal then!
Thanks for the pics of the adapter in various materials. Does that one adapter fit all the engines listed in your thread title?
Old 11-22-2018, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HamOnRye
Congrats, you got quite a deal then!
Thanks for the pics of the adapter in various materials. Does that one adapter fit all the engines listed in your thread title?
Based on the user feedback from the two main threads on this adapter in the Audizine forum, this adapter will work on those engines mentioned. The "etc" was included because the maker of that adapter hasn't seen or heard of anyone using it with other VAG engines. The maker of the adapter is just a regular guy and enthusiast and not a specialty car shop or parts maker. He made the adapter all on his own with a little help of some friends. He had been tweaking and fine tuning it for over a year. I guess we're fortunate that it seems that almost all VAG engines use the same size/design of intake port on their direct injected engines. I would assume it would also work on the multitude of Audi's diesel variants as well but there are very few to test on in North America.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the adapter as well on my RS5 and it's quite sturdy. It's not soft plastic like you'd imagine from the photos but rather hard. It does cover the entire port although I would prefer a slight extension of the sides so it doesn't have to be lined up close to perfect. But it does work and it'll keep the shells in the intake runners and not all over the engine if you're careful. I had to vacuum up very few extraneous walnut shells all of which were my fault not from a leaking adapter.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Short vid of me cleaning the carbon out of the RS5.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have one of these for sale, or know where I can purchase one? Looking to clean my intakes one of these upcoming weekends

Quick Reply: Carbon Cleaning Adapter 2.0T, 3.0T, 3.2L, 4.0T, 4.2L, 5.2L, etc