Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Clutch issue. PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issue. PLEASE HELP!!!

I have had so many clutch issues and spent so much money over the past two years I'm begging for some help with my 2015 MT S5. About 1 1/2 years ago I replaced my stock clutch and flywheel with the ECS lightweight flywheel and SouthBend stage 3 clutch. After about 8 months the new throwout bearing failed (it was barely together when removed) so it was replaced again. About 4 months later the clutch was slipping terribly, so again, the tranny was removed and the entire clutch/flywheel, and throwout bearing were fried. I replaced the entire unit with a JHM lightweight flywheel/5R clutch and new throwout bearing. Just recently at the end of a 70 mile drive my clutch suddenly decided to not disengage. I was able to sneak it into 1st gear and park it. This is after a total of about 600 miles of light break in. The car has not been driven hard since the recent unit install. After all these clutch problems, I'm suspect that something else may be causing these issues.

Before any trolls start throwing jabs, yes I know how to properly drive a MT. So, does anyone have any idea:

1- What could be causing my clutch to not disengage. The pedal seem to feel fine. It is stiffer than stock of course due to the 5R pressure plate but it doesn't feel strange. I haven't taken the transmission off yet (I'd love not to) but I'm wondering if this may have something to do with the master or slave cylinders. I ordered the USP stainless steel clutch line and am just waiting on it to arrive.

2- Why am I going through throwout bearings and clutches so fast. I don't drive my car like a mad man but I do enjoy spirited driving from time to time. I've never hard launched the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thanks for all the feedback!......
Old 07-04-2020, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like a heat problem. Is there much ventilation around the bell housing? Do you have pictures of the old throw out bearing?
Old 07-04-2020, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

throwout bearing from the 2nd clutch that lasted about 8k miles. The second pic is if the 3rd flywheel from JHM Motorsports. The carrier bearing was trashed just after around 700 miles...
After some round and round, JHM honored a replacement flywheel/clutch but I'm hearing my throw out bearing again after close to 12k miles...
Its definitely overheating but I'm not sure why. The car never runs hot and theres nothing but stock underbody lining obstructing flow.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah that’s kinda hard to solve. Maybe dyno the tranny see if there’s something causing the spline to get real hot. You’d think the trans seal would fail first though. Hmmm. There is a company that does ceramic coating. They apply ceramic coating to things that get real hot like exhaust headers valves etc. swaintech. I don’t know if they can do anything with clutches. Maybe the temp sensor of your trans is faulty. I’m thinking if it’s your engine having heat issues you’d probably have a blown head gasket by now.