Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Converting rain sensing wipers to intermittent wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beevik
Awesome. I'll give it a shot. My VAG-COM cable has been ordered and is on its way. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Just to follow up...

I got the VAG-COM cable today and applied the "bit 6" fix to disable the rain sensors. Worked like a charm. My windshield wipers are now intermittent on the rain sensor setting, and the wiper stalk adjuster now controls the frequency of wiping (instead of the sensitivity of the rain sensor). Just like I wanted it.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by fred44nl
if I remember correctly, there is a setting that says: Rainsensor installed.
this would than have to be disabled with Vag-Com.

and there is also another setting:
module 9 - byte 0 - bit 6
this should be sufficient.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this popped up at the top of a google search while looking for a way to change the rain sensing mode to intermittent mode on our 2012 B8 S5.

The screenshots here helped me a ton. I wanted to use my bluetooth OBDII device and was also able to use screenshots here plus help from the OBDEleven forums at this link Rain sensing wipers | OBDeleven

I simply followed the long coding outlined here on in this Audi World thread and applied it specifically to the OBDEleven app, now I've got rain sensing mode, woohoo!

Just so thankful for forums like this!
Old 03-04-2019, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ahhh, I meant now I have intermittent mode! Rain sensing mode was what I disabled.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are times when I wish the rain sensing mode would not over-ride the intermittent function. I'm quite capable of adjusting which level of intermittent I need to use at any given time.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not a great idea to tint the windshield for obvious reasons, aside from the legality, and that you live in the rain/mist capital of the world. You are loosing brilliant engineering functionality—with the wipers, lights,and climate control set to auto—they ‘speak’ to each other—ie., when your wipers are automatically activated, the headlights come on, and the climate control sends air to the windshield to prevent fogging...

Can you un-tint it?
Old 03-05-2019, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

From what I know, tinting is on the inside of the windshield, but not over the rain sensor where the rear view mirror is mounted, so around it basically.

For us, the rain sensor was affected by the installation of a new windshield at some point in the past (prior to our ownership of the car), but appears to be aftermarket instead of geniune Audi, perhaps a reason the rain sensor was not reliably detecting mist on the windshield.

Disabling the rain sensor and going to intermittent mode hasn't affected any other systems, like lighting or air con, so far so good on that front.

Interestingly, the label for bit 6 that disables rain sensing mode said "armored glass", so I think Audi seems to have thought of that as an option and needed to account for it?
Old 03-05-2019, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

B8.5 you can turn off the rain sensor through the MMI
Old 03-06-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to have my windshield replaced a few years ago. I specifically brought it to their attention that they need to use a windshield that is rain sensor friendly. It also didn't hurt that the installer was an Audi owner/enthusiast.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Interestingly, the label for bit 6 that disables rain sensing mode said "armored glass", so I think Audi seems to have thought of that as an option and needed to account for it?[/QUOTE]

I had had a product installed on the OUTSIDE of my windshield. It’s called clearplex. It prevents rock chips and breaks in the glass. They do have different levels of protection up to a bullet. So I would imagine Audi knew this and wrote a code for “armored glass”. I haven’t had any issues with my wipers or my lane assist. The product is on the outside like I said right over the lenses. I was going to just tint the inside but my PPF guy showed me the clear plex. I wasn’t going 50%. I was going with 90% but it still has amazing heat reduction. The clearplex provides UVA and UVB protection with some heat reduction.