Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Correct procedure to test enging oil consumption for an A5 .

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct procedure to test enging oil consumption for an A5 .

Hello all,

Writing from Finland. This concerns an Audi 2014/ 2015 A5 Sportback 1.8 TFSI, CJEB engine, driven 60000 kms (37500 miles?). I recently took the car for an oil consumption test test, and I am not sure if any procedures are being done correctly.

The test itself will cost me about €200. However, the testing procedure is not going the way "I was thinking it would", i.e. in my mind, it was that they would at least drain the oil completely, measure an accurate amount and fill it back in, and then test the residual after 1000 kms. I.e. old-school measure-the-material. Nothing along the lines of what is posted on the audiworld.com either.

All they did was do some digital measurement, apparently, this car has that feature, i.e. it is not the digital display on the dashboard, but some OBD-based testing. When the oil level was low, I did put in about ½ a litre (I guess it is the same as ½ a quart). They just topped it by another 120 ml or so, and the testing service paper now says it has 0,67 mm of oil.

Is anybody aware/ can anybody please reassure me of this procedure? Is it going correct? What does all this (e.g. 0,67 mm) mean? (PS. I would have assumed that the display would be getting the same information from the OBD based system as well, is it not so)?

The other thing they mention is that IF the oil consumption is higher than the "standard", then they would either do a) or b). Now Finnish being the language here, I am not sure I understood accurately, did they mean a) change the piston? b) Or merely the piston rings? I thought the two were inter-twined. Some other option that I did not even understand. Any ideas?

Could I request some help on this please?

Thanks again!

Kind regards.

PS. Apologies to the moderator, I posted in a different section, but could not figure out how to delete it!