Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Definition of build date?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definition of build date?

Ok, my dealer just let me know that my build date is confirmed at 10/15/2007. What does that really mean, is that the day the car is finished or the day the car starts getting built? About how long does it take to get through the factory build process?

I am toying with european delivery, mid October would be nice, but mid November probably not so much. (it will be quite cold and driving Nuburing) will probably not be as fun). That is why I want to figure out what my 'pickup' date would be in I do ED.

Thoughts?

Brilliant Red S5
Black Interior
Bang & Olfusen
Navigation
Tech Package
Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Definition of build date?

Apparently the factory can crank out an S5 in two to three days.

I believe that the "Build Date" is the date that your car enters the factory. For example, Audi specifies my particular "production date" as the 3rd week of Oct. I have confirmed pickup at the factory for the 15th with European Delivery.

I'm not sure whether you can (or can't) convert to European Delivery if not specified early on in the process. The order has to be modified by AoA by changing the 'ship to' to A21 before the vehicle is pushed forward to production. Your dealer should be able to give you specifics on that one.

A question from me: Many different people are getting notification from their dealer that a major delay is occuring with the S5 and that build dates have been pushed back and many won't receive their car until December. Have you heard anything similar from your dealership? Also, When did you place your order?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default sorrry to get off topic but...

quatt can you post some pics of your carbon atlas,
Im trying to decide on the stainless or carbon
im going phantom with mustang brown.
what do you think?
making my order tomorrow or next day
Old 09-12-2007, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wish I could help, but I'm in "waiting mode" also. My intial choice was stainless

because it seems very new and dynamic. I also prefer how it contrasts with the darker leather colors (magma and mustang). I chose Carbon only because with Stainless, the center console is "piano black" which I didn't want because of potential scratches, smears or whatever from passengers. The Carbon was my second choice, but the center console having been the same finish moved it up to first for me. I think Carbon complements the Silver interior the best. Good luck with your choice, it sounds like a nice combo.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driving the Ring

From the posts in the European Delivery section it appears that the export plates on your car will preclude you from driving the Ring.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:57 AM

Default response to TT

I ordered and put down my deposit on 8/11/2007. At time I was 4th in line and not too happy about it, but my dealer has been working his butt off and actually got me in touch with the AoA product manager for the S5 who is making all of the calls for the North American factory builds and the regional sales manager. Both were unable (or not willing) to get my car in the first batch, but they did answer all of my questions about custom paint, Audi Exclusives, etc.

Last week one of the guys who was ahead of me in line dropped out and my car got his factory slot. I did not do E. delivery at the time of order because I didn't have a slot in the build cycle and it didn't seem like I would until Nov/Dec - and I didnt see the fun in being in Germany in early December.

I just talked to my rep yesterday and he mentioned nothing about any delays. Have you heard anything from your dealer. Also what will the weather be like in mid-October when you pick your car up.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Can't get definate date from my dealer.

i placed my order a few days after all the options were announced..

I plan on going through Euro Delivery also, and to my surprise i've found very reasonable tickets to fly over... but i need a date. I was hoping to go over the weekend from Oct 18 to oct 23.

Who gave you the confirmed pickup date? is there any way you can check others? my dealer doesn't seem to have that information...

Also, when i placed my order there was no option for the lane departure warning.. am i the only one that missed that? i don't think i'll miss having it.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default From what I've heard weather is nice in Southern Germany in October. I'll be checking

weather.com right before the trip to confirm. I haven't heard about the delays from my dealer but apparently many people are getting notified regarding delays up to two months from their salesman. If you hear anything, definitely post and I will do the same.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Can't get definate date from my dealer.

If you haven't already, you'll be receiving a package that has all of the maps, and literature that will state your pickup date. I think it took 2 weeks from the actual submission by my dealer ( I had placed my order much earlier than they processed it). The paperwork will have your production week listed. From that point, you can book your tickets and send the confirmation to Audi Delivery who will confirm your details with you.

Prior to receiving the package, I wasn't able to confirm anything (similar to your situation)or any updated information through the dealership level. Not their fault, just seems to be a disconnect between AoA and the dealers.

I didn't get Lane Assist either as it initially was unavailable. Nice but don't think I'll miss it.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Can't get definate date from my dealer.

yesterday my dealer called and said my production week is November 5. Apparently they initially ordered the car for regular delivery but they have to change it to European Delivery. i think that requires them to order the car all over again - but i will get it at the same time.

Quick Reply: Definition of build date?