Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Did you trade in your other car?

Old 05-16-2012, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you trade in your other car?

I usually sell my cars outright... come to think of it, I've never traded a car in. But this time I don't want to sell my car locally. My travel schedule makes showings difficult and my last private sale took a while. Sounds crazy but I'm buying a twin of my current one (with the new facelift) and don't want two of the same thing in town! LOL Anyway, have you gotten KBB value for trade ins - higher for A5s - lower?

Thx!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by diva_alicia
I usually sell my cars outright... come to think of it, I've never traded a car in. But this time I don't want to sell my car locally. My travel schedule makes showings difficult and my last private sale took a while. Sounds crazy but I'm buying a twin of my current one (with the new facelift) and don't want two of the same thing in town! LOL Anyway, have you gotten KBB value for trade ins - higher for A5s - lower?

Thx!
I don't know if your state does this but I got taxed on the difference of the new car minus the trade. A car at this price range would be a significant tax savings. You would have to sell your car for more than the sales tax and trade value combined to come out ahead. Also, people often need to finance the car and you'd have to wait for that to take place.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think the tax deduction on trade in is standard procedure across the country.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I traded my 07 A6 for an S5. If you don't have the time to deal with buyers, don't even think about it, and yes, the tax credit does help. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm new to Audi but I've been seeing posts on loyalty incentives for going back to Audi. Does that require your to trade in your old car? That may be worth it. Or do they just look up your name to see if you are a previous customer?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
I think the tax deduction on trade in is standard procedure across the country.
Currently California, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Maryland and Michigan allow no deductions for trade-ins when calculating sales tax. In addition, Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon have no sales tax on autos.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TDarp
I'm new to Audi but I've been seeing posts on loyalty incentives for going back to Audi. Does that require your to trade in your old car? That may be worth it. Or do they just look up your name to see if you are a previous customer?
Oh, yes! Excellent point! I got the loyalty incentive twice.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The loyalty program when I bought my A5 in December 2011 required proof of current registration, but did not require you to trade it in. It seems to be flexible, too - my A4 was over ten years old, but I still got the loyalty dollars.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 78lion
Currently California, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Maryland and Michigan allow no deductions for trade-ins when calculating sales tax. In addition, Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon have no sales tax on autos.
What about trading-in a leased vehicle?
You'd be purchasing the new car, but your trade-in is a vehicle that is currently a lease. Does that change the idea of getting a sales tax advantage?

A couple dealers in Pennsylvania (a State where sales tax on leased vehicles is paid monthly, as part of your monthly lease payment) told me that when you trade in a leased vehicle, you don't get that sales tax advantage because sales tax has only been paid on part of the leased vehicle; sales tax has not yet been paid on the part of the leased vehicle that your trading in, and therefore the State tax authority (PA Dept of Treasury??) doesn't allow car dealers to deduct some of the sales tax on the new car.
According to those dealers, it works if you "bought" the car that you are trading in, but it does not work if the trade-in car is a leased vehicle.

Does anyone know if thats true, and if so, is that the case in most States?

Last edited by uroplatus; 05-17-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Still trying to see what vehicles folks have traded in and how much they were getting for them compared to Edmunds true value or kelly blue book.