Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Does RS5 have turbo lag like S5????

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does RS5 have turbo lag like S5????

Hi guys,
My first post here . I have been exploring my next car and so far, its C43 AMG 2019. I love the super spontaneous response it has. I put my foot down and off it goes. I also like its interior very much and LOVE its exhaust sound (comes with exhaust package). The only thing I'm not crazy about is its exterior. Plus my wife has C300 and C43 doesn't look too different from C300. So I started looking around and RS5 looks amazing. Such a bad *** looking (in a good way) car. S5 looks very similar as well. So I went to local dealer and test drove it. What I noticed right away is the lag it has when I put my food down. Yes it was in dynamic mode. When I put the foot down, it took a bit long before it reacted but when it did react, it just took off. Very good speed indeed but I wasn't thrilled with the lag it has. I was test driving 2018. So I started looking into RS5 hoping that it won't have the turbo lag. The dealer didn't have the car in store so I started exploring youtube videos and came across CarWow video where they test drove RS5 and also compared with S5. According to their review, RS5 has a turbo lag as well. Here is the link to video

I was surprised to see that even RS5 has a turbo lag??? I mean, forget C43 AMG, even when I drive my wife's C300 in sports+, it has very quick response.
So here I'm asking you guys to confirm if RS5 has a good noticeable turbo lag and if it's may be going away in 2019 model by any chance?
Old 09-30-2018, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

As he says in the video it's not turbo lag what he is pointing out. The smaller biturbos with the hot-vee design are actually quite responsive. The lag is more the transmission and lazy throttle map. Once its on the boil and if you shift it yourself it's actually quite responsive, but just cruising along and then stomping it doesn't make it react very quickly. The transmission takes its time to downshift and the throttle build up is too lazy. I'm also considering AMG for my next car, but the C63 S, which is what the RS5 technically competes with. AMGs are more responsive. The new 9 speed transmission is capable of instantly downshifting multiple gears and in the 63, the torque converter is replaced with a clutch that makes it even more responsive. It's actually quite impressive how it instantly downshifts up to 5 gears from 9th gear and then just hauls off. I'm not a fan of the ZF 8. It's just not very responsive, I think it suits a Range Rover better than it does a sporty car.

Here's an excerpt of a good video (starting at 1:16:21) that shows just how much more responsive the AMG powertrain is. Sorry about the video being in German. He used to do his videos in English as well. Just enjoy the sound of the car. He is in Comfort mode here in 9th gear and then pushes the throttle all the way through. I think this is what you are talking about, and unfortunately, the RS5 won't deliver like that.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-30-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

You're in the wrong forum.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
As he says in the video it's not turbo lag what he is pointing out. The smaller biturbos with the hot-vee design are actually quite responsive. The lag is more the transmission and lazy throttle map. Once its on the boil and if you shift it yourself it's actually quite responsive, but just cruising along and then stomping it doesn't make it react very quickly. The transmission takes its time to downshift and the throttle build up is too lazy. I'm also considering AMG for my next car, but the C63 S, which is what the RS5 technically competes with. AMGs are more responsive. The new 9 speed transmission is capable of instantly downshifting multiple gears and in the 63, the torque converter is replaced with a clutch that makes it even more responsive. It's actually quite impressive how it instantly downshifts up to 5 gears from 9th gear and then just hauls off. I'm not a fan of the ZF 8. It's just not very responsive, I think it suits a Range Rover better than it does a sporty car.

Here's an excerpt of a good video (starting at 1:16:21) that shows just how much more responsive the AMG powertrain is. Sorry about the video being in German. He used to do his videos in English as well. Just enjoy the sound of the car. He is in Comfort mode here in 9th gear and then pushes the throttle all the way through. I think this is what you are talking about, and unfortunately, the RS5 won't deliver like that.

https://youtu.be/-k3Stmg7okU?t=1h16m21s
Thx for your response. I'll pm you since it seems like if we continue talking about merc here, it won't be appreciated.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sknj
Thx for your response. I'll pm you since it seems like if we continue talking about merc here, it won't be appreciated.
That's not it. You are in the B8 forum instead of the B9 forum and talking about the new RS5. This forum would be about the old RS5.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^Not sure what the f*ck you're talking about.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Riddle me this Rip Van Winkle; what year did Audi first slot the 3.0T into the RS5? That would be never. Maybe you should read up on the various iteration of RS5's (hint, there's two, the B8 series and the B9 series) Not one ever came with the 3.0T. Your response doesn't even answer the OP's question which is about the B9 RS5. That particular model comes with a 2.9L twin turbocharged engine. There's no supercharger to be found on it anywhere.

Also, every single direct injected engine has carbon buildup on the back of the valves. Unless the 3.0T is also running an additional set of port injectors (and that'd be news to me), you'll get carbon buildup. I'm just going to leave the rest of your comments alone. Your user name is apropos however.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Let's keep it civilized. OP started this thread in the wrong sub forum and he and I continued the discussion via PM. Not sure what the 3.0T post was supposed to contribute, either as that engine is history just like the 4.2 in the B8 RS5. Audi has gone with turbo charging on all their new cars and that's the world we live in now. No more natural aspiration and no more super charging.

The point OP highlighted was that other manufactures such as AMG and Ferrari to name a couple who have received accolades for the responsiveness of their turbo engines, seem to be able to make performance cars that rival naturally aspirated engines from a feel and responsiveness standpoint despite turbo charging whereas Audi seems to map their cars to maximize fuel economy across the board. Pretty much in every sub forum here folks are complaining about lag with current Audi models.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-08-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Not Sure
https://www.wardsauto.com/2014/2014-...arged-dohc-v-6
I’ve been working and driving Audi cars before you were born son... Not Sure.
N00b!
Old 10-09-2018, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok guys I have created a new thread here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25222014
Hopefully, this time its the right place. Please post your comments there
Much appreciated.