Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Door window hits convertible top upon opening

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Door window hits convertible top upon opening - Audi won't fix it

The drivers side window on my 2017 A5 Cabriolet hits the edge of the convertible top every time I open the door. The only way to avoid this is to pull the handle out, but keep the door shut until the window has fully retracted. This is an awkward process that requires two hands - one hand to pull the handle outward and a second hand to hold the door shut until the window fully retracts. The constant contact from opening the door (perhaps 1800 times per year at five trips per day) has already caused a slight fraying of the top at the point of contact. Also, the drivers side window has begun 'screeching' when it is powered down. The dealership acknowledges that the window is not supposed to hit the top as the door opens. However, when they contacted Audi for warranty repair instructions, Audi claimed that the door functions 'within normal operating parameters and will not be repaired under warranty. Really? So, the dealer sprayed lubricant on the window to stop the screeching and handed the car back to me explaining that it is my problem, not Audi's. If I keep the car for four more years and open the door another eight thousand times, I wonder what the top will look like and when the window mechanism will fail from the sideways torquing.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, I would appreciate any suggestions - other than using two hands to open the door.

Last edited by Fatz2fly; 06-14-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So is the issue that the window drop is too slow? Is it slower than the passenger side?

It sounds like Audi is confused because it has not been explained to them properly by the dealer.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I know mine sometimes hits but I always attributed it to opening too fast. I just went out and of course opened both doors a number of times, and it did not hit opening pretty quickly so I am not sure how often it does it. Even if requires a pause, there is a slight distance the door has to move before the glass passes the top. You should not have to "hold it" with a second hand. Just softly pull the handle with a little pause.

(The winter can be a PITA. If there is ice on the window, of course the window won't go down and the door will open past the top but you can't close it. Well you can close it but the glass is far from sealed. The other time is, if you are driving, and realize the door is not tightly closed and try to open it an close it, the window won't drop and you can't close it with the vehicle moving.)
Old 06-15-2018, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@ Smurkenstein, Thanks for your reply. Window speed is a good question. Yes, if the window descended faster, it would probably clear the top. But, that is not the root cause. I believe that the root cause is that the window frame was installed incorrectly at the factory. The driver side window protrudes 1/4" above the rubber window molding when the window is all the way down. By comparison, the passenger side window retracts below the rubber molding. When the driver side window is all the way up, it is 1/4" taller than the passenger side window. Consequently, when I open the passenger side door, the window always retracts in a timely manner, avoiding the roof. On the driver side, I have to engage the handle and hold the door closed until the window retracts.

Because this has been going on for a year, the window frame mechanism has already bent slightly, causing the driver window to screech each time it is operated. The dealer lubricated the window. However, that lasted one day and the screech is back. I suspect the reason Audi is reluctant to fix the problem is because it would require replacing the entire door. Automotive doors are generally welded together. It is likely impossible to replace just the window frame.

Last edited by Fatz2fly; 06-15-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@ Neil. Thanks for the reply. When I open the door at normal speed it hits every time. I have to engage the handle and hold the door closed in order to open it without the window hitting the top. On the passenger side, the window does not hit the top, regardless of the speed at which it is opened.

Ice?! Fortunately, I live on Hilton Head Island. Ice is a once-in-a-hundred-year event. If we did get ice we would be out taking pictures, not driving.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fatz2fly
@ Smurkenstein, Thanks for your reply. Window speed is a good question. Yes, if the window descended faster, it would probably clear the top. But, that is not the root cause. I believe that the root cause is that the window frame was installed incorrectly at the factory. The driver side window protrudes 1/4" above the rubber window molding when the window is all the way down. By comparison, the passenger side window retracts below the rubber molding. When the driver side window is all the way up, it is 1/4" taller than the passenger side window. Consequently, when I open the passenger side door, the window always retracts in a timely manner, avoiding the roof. On the driver side, I have to engage the handle and hold the door closed until the window retracts.

Because this has been going on for a year, the window frame mechanism has already bent slightly, causing the driver window to screech each time it is operated. The dealer lubricated the window. However, that lasted one day and the screech is back. I suspect the reason Audi is reluctant to fix the problem is because it would require replacing the entire door. Automotive doors are generally welded together. It is likely impossible to replace just the window frame.
Yes, that can't be right - mine never catches - I suspect that the drivers window height is not calibrated properly (sorry, no idea how to fix this but I suspect it is an easy fix) - the more serious issue from a warranty perspective is fixing the wear on the roof - I can only suggest having another go at the Dealer/Audi - perhaps take some photos and start a complaint.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

How about this?

Window too high after frozen - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
Old 06-15-2018, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@smurkenstein - That is an interesting thread, but from 2012. Mine is a 2017 A5 Cab. I suggested to the dealer that there might be limit switches to control the upward and downward travel. They checked with Audi and claimed they were told that the window travel was not adjustable. Perhaps that was a cost cutting measure between 2012 and 2017.

According to the dealer, they are not able to start a complaint. Apparently I have to call Audi to initiate a complaint. I am new to Audi, so this was a bit of a surprise. I guess that will be my next step. I am very concerned about the window frame mechanism. I haven't heard a window screech as it travels up and down since the 1970s.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 2014 S5 Cabriolet and have only ever had problems catching the top in winter when the window is frozen. From experience with other VAG cars, it is possible to adjust the position of the window by resetting the 'clamps' that hold the window to the mechanism. Have not had the door card off the S5 to see if this is possible.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@allraod Mason - We live on Hilton Head Island. The last ice storm was eight years ago. The dealership refused to be pinned down on whether or not the window mechanism could be adjusted on the 2017 Cabriolet. At my request, they did call Audi about the problem. Audi told the dealership that the window 'operating within normal parameters' and was not interested in making this right under a warranty repair. So, from Audi's perspective 'operating within normal parameters' means that it is okay that the window hits the roof when the door opens and that it screeches like a banshee when it is powered up or down. The dealer window lubrication lasted one day.

I really am disappointed that Audi refuses to fix this significant defect.

Quick Reply: Door window hits convertible top upon opening