Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Engine Oil Reading from broken Hood Latch Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Reading from broken Hood Latch Sensor

I have been having some weird experiences with my 2009 Audi A5 3.2L.

So I have a faulty hood latch which I manually reset by inserting a pin to "trick" the car into thinking the hood is open. While the hood is "open" on the dash I turn on my ignition without turning the engine. I check the MMI oil sensor and wait 2 minutes and my engine oil level shows max. After that i turn my car off replug the hood latch sensor thinking now my hood is closed and everything is fine. However, whenever I turn my car on the next day or a few hours later and check the engine oil level, instead of the normal Engine Oil Level OK sign, i get the "To get an accurate measurement the engine must be at operating temp" while the engine oil guage shows max. Is this normal or is something wrong with my MMI or reader? I go dealership saturday to do a milestone checkup.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timkimxlarla
I have been having some weird experiences with my 2009 Audi A5 3.2L.

So I have a faulty hood latch which I manually reset by inserting a pin to "trick" the car into thinking the hood is open. While the hood is "open" on the dash I turn on my ignition without turning the engine. I check the MMI oil sensor and wait 2 minutes and my engine oil level shows max. After that i turn my car off replug the hood latch sensor thinking now my hood is closed and everything is fine. However, whenever I turn my car on the next day or a few hours later and check the engine oil level, instead of the normal Engine Oil Level OK sign, i get the "To get an accurate measurement the engine must be at operating temp" while the engine oil guage shows max. Is this normal or is something wrong with my MMI or reader? I go dealership saturday to do a milestone checkup.
Ok so is this about your hood latch sensor or the oil level? If its about the oil level then it sounds to me like you need to run the engine to operating temperature first, and then check the oil.

Leif