Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

First Time Buying, Questions about an A5

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Buying, Questions about an A5

This is my first time buying a car, so I apologize if any of my questions are stupid. I've been leasing various cars for the past 4 years and am finally going to get the car I really want (well the A5, not the S5). I decided on an Audi A5, and based on what I want to pay I landed on a CPO 2015 Premium Plus A5. I've found a few options that are all around $29-30k for the car alone, and $33-35k out the door (including the cost of shipping the car to me). With that, I've got a couple questions:
  1. Is there any reason to get the 2015 over the 2014? I see a few 2014 options that are a 3-5 thousand less, but I thought they would have less re-sale value and possibly be in worse condition from just being older. Am I wrong with this line of thinking, or should I stick with the 2015?
  2. Am I crazy for buying a CPO car without having test-driven the specific car I'm buying? I've driven other A5s at the dealership, but I don't want to buy a last minute plane ticket just to test drive the same thing if it's not necessary.
  3. Following #2, do I need to get a third party inspection if it's CPO?
  4. Is it likely I will find a dealer who will install remote start? I've heard some dealers will do it, and not sure if this is a realistic expectation. How much should I expect to pay for it?
  5. Is there anything I'm missing?
Thanks for any help you might have. I know these are probably really basic questions, but I'm really nervous to buy for the first time and don't know where else to ask.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

1. Your call... hard to say without more specifics
2. No... well maybe... I bought mine sight unseen
3. Yes... definitely
4. Sorry can't help you there
5. Probably yes... but there's a fairly high probability that you will have no regrets
Old 04-12-2018, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. No real reason between 14 and 15. Cost only I would think.
2. Only an opinion, but no. CPO should give you assurance. I personally would never buy any car sight unseen, but that's just me. But, if you are set on one that's CPO, why not.
3. I'm gonna have to disagree with the "definitely" recommendation of getting a second inspection on a CPO vehicle....unless you are getting a previously inspected, already owned CPO from a private party (you didn't say where it was coming from). Then of course, have it inspected. If you are getting current CPO from an Audi dealer, why would you pay to get a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle re-inspected?
4. If you are getting a CPO vehicle from an Audi dealer, I'm gonna bet they won't put an aftermarket remote start in it. That would void the terms of it being CPO.
5. Hey, only my opinion, but if you are buying a CPO vehicle from an Audi dealer, you are buying the assurance they will back it up with authorized service, OEM parts and trained technicians. I've used my CPO benefits for a water pump recently. Only cost me $85 and saved a ton. If I buy used again in the future, you can bet it will more than likely be CPO.

Again, these are just opinions, so only you know what's right for you. I would have no hesitation buying a CPO vehicle from an Audi dealer...but my personal preference is I would want to lay eyes on the car still before I signed any paperwork.

Last edited by BryanB8.5; 04-12-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Regarding 14 vs 15... there was an improved intake on the 15 and up models... I think aluminum vs plastic, may be a different engine model, but same displacement... possible HP/TRQ bump

CPO? Sight unseen??? Ask a ton of questions, get the sales person to send walk around video, have them put it on a lift and video, get all the service documents, see if there is a friend who may have a friend or family member in the area and so on... I live in the Boston area and made a purchase last year of an S5 convertible from Georgetown TX, relied on video, pictures, service records, CPO records and got a friend of a friend to stop by and put a set of eyes on it... no regrets!!!

The remote starts are installed by aftermarket installers... some dealers have a great relationship with the installers, some will tell you to never install a remote start, it will cause the world to end... average cost in the Boston area is 500.00 to 650.00, depending on if you need smartphone coding stuff

Things to consider... tuning and suspension mods, exhaust improvements, addiction to fast driving, envious friends...

Good luck with your decisions....
Old 04-13-2018, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There were definitely some package differences between 2014 and 2015. Was the competition package available in 2014?

Check mine out.

2015 A5 Competition
Old 04-14-2018, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2015 was pretty late in the B8.5 lifecycle, so much of the earlier issues were resolved by then. I just returned a ‘15 A5 PP that gave me 34k miles of virtualy trouble free driving. Though the s-line black glossy grill kept de-laminating ( audi replaced twice under warranty) If I remember correctly for 2015, the S-Line appeance pack was standard on the PP.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all the help, everyone! Found one and am completing my purchase this week