Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

confused '14 Dynamic Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default confused '14 Dynamic Steering

It seems like this has been asked, but cant find the exact answer. So i have a '14 RS5 on order, and can still make changes to order. what I am confused about is drive select and dynamic steering. If I DONT order the Driver Assist Packsage, does drive select NOT have the dynamic steering option? I just rode in a 2013 RS5 today with this package, and when we go into drive seelect there Engine/transmission, Dynamic Steering, Exhaust, and Adaptive Cruise Control. If I dont select the DA package, do I just have Engine transmission and exhaust? I thought steerring was part of the drive select, but Im not sure how this differs from teh dynamic steering as part of the DA package. Enough rambling, please explain!!

Thanks

Andrew
Old 03-31-2014, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrewaw
It seems like this has been asked, but cant find the exact answer. So i have a '14 RS5 on order, and can still make changes to order. what I am confused about is drive select and dynamic steering. If I DONT order the Driver Assist Packsage, does drive select NOT have the dynamic steering option? I just rode in a 2013 RS5 today with this package, and when we go into drive seelect there Engine/transmission, Dynamic Steering, Exhaust, and Adaptive Cruise Control. If I dont select the DA package, do I just have Engine transmission and exhaust? I thought steerring was part of the drive select, but Im not sure how this differs from teh dynamic steering as part of the DA package. Enough rambling, please explain!!

Thanks

Andrew
If you don't get the DA package, you can still adjust the steering between Comfort, Auto and Dynamic. However, it will only adjust the steering torque. The steering ratio is fixed at 15.9:1.

Dynamic Steering is physically a different steering rack that can adjust steering torque as well as ratio. In Comfort and Auto, the steering ratio is dynamically adjusted between 9:1 to 18:1 to give you the best and most direct response depending on the current driving situation. For example at highway speeds it adopts a high ratio to give excellent straight line stability, where as at medium speed on twisty roads it adopts a lower ratio for a very direct response and at parking lot speeds it adopts a very low ratio for optimal maneuverability. The steering torque is constantly adjusted to match the current steering ratio. In Dynamic mode however, the steering ratio is locked at 14.3:1, still more direct than the standard steering, but predictable for driving on the track at frequently changing speeds.

Dynamic Steering is a great option. IMO, with the Dynamic Steering option Comfort and Auto modes are much better for daily driving and mixed driving and the steering is more direct, and for the race track or for ripping through a canyon you can switch to Dynamic mode to keep the steering response constant regardless of speed.

The standard steering just adds more or less weight to the steering depending on which mode you are in. Feels very artificial IMO. Dynamic Steering on the other hand changes the steering dynamics as you go from Comfort to Dynamic. For example at highway speeds in Comfort mode, the Dynamic Steering doesn't feel loosey goosey, because it maintains directional stability by adopting a very high steering ratio w/o needing to artificially weigh the steering down to give an illusion of directional stability.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-31-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

thank you so much superswiss! that is the detailed answer I was looking for.. now I just need to decide if its worth the $2700.....
Old 03-31-2014, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I primarily got it for the adaptive cruise control. I do frequent road trips. As for the dynamic steering, I can tell you that it became so much second nature, that whenever I get into another car, the steering feels wrong.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Superswiss that was really a great explanation. It now explains why while maneuvering in the parking lot yesterday, my car seemed to have a tighter turning radius and I didn't know why. I have my dynamic steering set to auto.
By the way, the adaptive cruise is a great feature when traveling long distances.
If you can afford it, I would get the Drivers Assist pkg. You're already going for an RS5, so what's a couple of thousand more?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

lol you rare correct, a thousand more is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things, just need to figure it out!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I primarily got it for the adaptive cruise control. I do frequent road trips. As for the dynamic steering, I can tell you that it became so much second nature, that whenever I get into another car, the steering feels wrong.
I have to say I love this feature - and when driving the RS4 on the highway I sometimes forget that it is not on that car - opps.,