Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Getting tired of my S5

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Manuals are a lot of fun, but I'm not picky, I enjoy the car for what it is regardless of how it changes gears. Having said that though, there are some cars that are more fun when equipped with a manual transmission, such as the S cars (though S Tronic is excellent!) and the R8 (got to love that gated shifter!)..

There are also cars that shouldn't ever be manuals, like the A8 and Q7 (IMHO).

It all boils down to personal preference, I don't feel people should be ragged on for choosing one over the other.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more detail

What I mean is this, when lets say you're putting the car in neutral, and you take your foot of the pedal, it rises back to it's starting position rather quickly. When the problem I'm talking about starts it takes about twice as long to come back to starting position. It's also a little tougher on the way down, it just doesn't more at the right speed. It's weird, because it'll happen for like 5 minutes of driving, then it will go back to normal for like a week, then come back for maybe a day. Thanks for all your help.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Head Cat Herder

So the actual pedal gets stiff? Have they replaced or at least lubed the pedal hinge? What about the master cylinder, the slave cylinder, throwout bearing, actuation arm, etc?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeQuattro
I probably drive stick better than you tough guy. It's not like it's a science, so get off your high horse. I'm trying to figure out why you're such a douche. I've come to the conclusion, that you're probably jealous that you drive around in a cheaper version of my car. It could be that, or the fact that I'm probably younger, and more successful than you are. I was just asking to see if anyone had some answers, about my glitchy Audi. Clearly you don't, so why don't you go drive your car off a cliff
How many time did you burn the clutch? How long is it going to take for you to understand that you are burning the clutch? that you are burning the clutch by not knowing how to shift properly! There is nothing wrong about that! just don't come in here pretending that the vehicle is acting on its own!! Seems to me that if you are thinking of getting rid of it and the only thing you can come up with is the clutch not responding as expected, it's very clear than for you this is a BIG issue! So face it.. plain and simple.. You are not an expert, neither care to learn how to drive a Manual. I agree with another post in that sense that an S5 Manual as a first manual for someone who's never driven a Manual before in their life, might not be the best idea! you need to start from the basics, meaning smaller vehicles with less power.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by atombomb33
Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having.

Is it the uptake of the clutch? Meaning you push the clutch down and it doesn't come all the way up immediately?

Did they check the clutch fluid lines?
I've experienced this, it's intermitent, never took it into the dealer to find becaue it would go away. Noticed in cold weather, or if hadn't driven in a while the car.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Head Cat Herder

Any way you can tone down your posts? They read very negatively..
Old 04-30-2010, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I believe him. I Never had anyone ride in my back seat of the car. Then had my niece, all 45 pounds of her in the passenger side buckled in. Drove down the road and the tire press light came on, then the diff light up, it was a freaking christmas tree. i pulled over to check the tires and everything looked normal. got to my dest. parked,stopped car and restared. It has never happened again and noone will be sitting in my rear seat anytime soon. Not unless she has a twin. So get off the guy about his driving. Mine is a tip. Not to hard to drive that, big man.

Originally Posted by spaniardone
How many time did you burn the clutch? How long is it going to take for you to understand that you are burning the clutch? that you are burning the clutch by not knowing how to shift properly! There is nothing wrong about that! just don't come in here pretending that the vehicle is acting on its own!! Seems to me that if you are thinking of getting rid of it and the only thing you can come up with is the clutch not responding as expected, it's very clear than for you this is a BIG issue! So face it.. plain and simple.. You are not an expert, neither care to learn how to drive a Manual. I agree with another post in that sense that an S5 Manual as a first manual for someone who's never driven a Manual before in their life, might not be the best idea! you need to start from the basics, meaning smaller vehicles with less power.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spaniardone
I love how you try to tell the other guy that he is "not an expert" and try to position yourself as such. If you were an expert, you would know that you have no clue what you are talking about. What the OP is describing has nothing to do with a "burned" clutch. But, it doesn't surprise me. You don't really know anything about anything that you post on here.

If his clutch was "burned up" then the clutch pedal would function normal. What he would feel is that he would hit the gas...the RPMs would raise, but he wouldn't gain any speed...and then suddenly he would begin accelerating. That's the sign of a "burned up" clutch.

Stop posting about things that you know nothing about. Actually, I take that back. It's kinda comical to read your posts
Old 04-30-2010, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeQuattro
What I mean is this, when lets say you're putting the car in neutral, and you take your foot of the pedal, it rises back to it's starting position rather quickly. When the problem I'm talking about starts it takes about twice as long to come back to starting position. It's also a little tougher on the way down, it just doesn't more at the right speed. It's weird, because it'll happen for like 5 minutes of driving, then it will go back to normal for like a week, then come back for maybe a day. Thanks for all your help.
Have the dealership check the clutch master cylinder, clutch lines for air, fluid reservoir, etc. Since the uptake of the clutch is intermittent, it sounds like there might be some air in the clutch line. I'm willing to bet that if they flushed the clutch system and replaced the fluid, it would be good as new

If that doesn't work, have them check out the stuff Kris Hansen (love the user name BTW) has listed below.

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
So the actual pedal gets stiff? Have they replaced or at least lubed the pedal hinge? What about the master cylinder, the slave cylinder, throwout bearing, actuation arm, etc?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Head Cat Herder

I've seen burned clutches stick to the flywheel, but that's not what's happening here, it's the opposite..

Quick Reply: Getting tired of my S5