Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Green fluid leaking from rear underside

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Green fluid leaking from rear underside

Hi. I brand spanking new to this forum. I just picked up a 2010 A5 Premium plus 2.0T manual in blue. Frickin loving the car. It has 75k miles on it and was very clean. Today, while starting her up in one of the coldest days in Montreal, Canada, I noticed a greenish fluid is leaking - coming from the rear between the two wheels, I can see a small icicle of the fluid actually suspended underneath the car and on the snow where it leaked. I did have the A/C running hot air to defrost the windows. I just picked up the car almost 3 days ago. Any idea what this could be? Just want to be sure i can drive it over the weekend before heading back to the dealer to get it checked out. Thanks guys.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

84 views and no one has an answer? ok, i'm heading to the dealer and i guess if i do come up with anything i'll post it so anyone else comes across this issue at least they can have an answer. thanks.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Was the car maintained at an Audi dealer? I've heard horror stories of people changing their coolant fluid from the Red to the more available and cheaper Green fluid, which doesn't work w/our vehicles. Take a look at your coolant expansion tank and hopefully it's got red fluid in it.

If it's on the rear, perhaps is differential fluid...only way to really tell is to get the car up on a lift and check.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest Depends, they work well!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

We didn’t answer because the only green or blue fluid is washer fluid. That leak would be up front. So—— we are puzzled too. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2018, 04:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nixlair
Hi. I brand spanking new to this forum. I just picked up a 2010 A5 Premium plus 2.0T manual in blue. Frickin loving the car. It has 75k miles on it and was very clean. Today, while starting her up in one of the coldest days in Montreal, Canada, I noticed a greenish fluid is leaking - coming from the rear between the two wheels, I can see a small icicle of the fluid actually suspended underneath the car and on the snow where it leaked. I did have the A/C running hot air to defrost the windows. I just picked up the car almost 3 days ago. Any idea what this could be? Just want to be sure i can drive it over the weekend before heading back to the dealer to get it checked out. Thanks guys.
Probably a long shot, but the moonroof drains are at the corners of the moonroof. The rear drains lead to an area just inside the rear fender wells. If you were on a slope or possibly at an angle, if there was any precipitation in your area....rain/snow.... it could have simply leaked from the fenderwell and found its way to the rear diff. I can't think of ANYTHING thats green that would be leaking on our cars. The coolant is pink.... most washer fluid is blue and possibly green. Does the fluid have a smell??