Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

H&R OE Springs suck on the Audi S5

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R OE Springs suck on the Audi S5

So, this is my 4th alignment, (last one done at Audi dealership), no matter what, the ride quality sucks.
1) I was expecting the OE springs to have a mild drop, but they dropped it way more than expected.
2) VERY VERY bumpy ride, (yes, standard OEM shocks, as H&R and others have said for such a mild drop, OEM shocks should be fine).
3) the car tracks very badly at high speed.

So, question for you guys.
Are coilovers my only route?
Should I ask H&R to send me a different set of springs? (could they be defective?)
Maybe new shocks? (brand recommendation?)

The goal for my car is to keep close to default ride quality, with a slight drop (around 1" from OEM).
(my S5 does not have the electronic damper thingies)

Any help would be appreciated. I originally wanted to go with Eibach as I have always been happy with them, unfortunately Eibach doesn't make springs for my S5.

Thank you!
Old 08-10-2015, 01:56 AM
Loe
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What is the part # on the springs? Also, did the installer remember to use the OEM spring pads? (pads are at least good for 1/4" to an 1/2" difference in height at the expense of extra noise and ride harshness)
Old 08-10-2015, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hello, Thank you for replying:
yeah he did use the pads, the spring numbers is:
29061 (VA | F| )
Old 08-10-2015, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Weird. Had the OE springs installed a few years ago and after a few alignments and an Alu Kreutz the ride is firm and sporty and the drop is perfect.. Are you sure you didnt get the sport springs?
Old 08-10-2015, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, they are the hr29061-1 which I confirmed with the seller that they are correct, and they were correctly installed also.
He is going to get in touch with H&R with some photos of the drop i gave him and he will get back to me to see what's up.
Also, i measured, from the fender to the center of wheel, it's exactly 14"
The drop looks nice, but definitely would appear more what I would have expected out of the sports ones.
May I ask why you had to stiffen the chassis? was it flexing upon acceleration/deceleration? or made the car unstable at high speed before the Alu Kreutz?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The AK made the car more stable at higher speeds.. Its just a beefier version of the original part and it made a noticeable difference.. Did yours drop more than mine in the pic? Took me a few alignments to get it tracking straight but its been fine since then.. The drop did increase the rear camber alot so I had that reduced so it didnt look like the car had a trunk full of gold bullion.. Maybe seek out a performance shop and get them to do a sport alignment on it..
Old 08-17-2015, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you feel the ride is too harse, just return the H&R springs, and put in the Alu Kreuz - this will improve the ride much better.

Originally Posted by x130844
So, this is my 4th alignment, (last one done at Audi dealership), no matter what, the ride quality sucks.
1) I was expecting the OE springs to have a mild drop, but they dropped it way more than expected.
2) VERY VERY bumpy ride, (yes, standard OEM shocks, as H&R and others have said for such a mild drop, OEM shocks should be fine).
3) the car tracks very badly at high speed.

So, question for you guys.
Are coilovers my only route?
Should I ask H&R to send me a different set of springs? (could they be defective?)
Maybe new shocks? (brand recommendation?)

The goal for my car is to keep close to default ride quality, with a slight drop (around 1" from OEM).
(my S5 does not have the electronic damper thingies)

Any help would be appreciated. I originally wanted to go with Eibach as I have always been happy with them, unfortunately Eibach doesn't make springs for my S5.

Thank you!
Old 08-20-2015, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You may need to switch to adjustable upper control arms to get the alignment right, but yes the ride will be better with coilovers. I had H&R springs and it was unstable and harsh. Added adjustable upper control arms to get the alignment right and the car was much more stable, because I was able to set the camber correctly. Switch the springs to bilstein coilovers and the ride got much better. If you want to tighten up the steering feel go with the alu kreuz, cr 15 strut brace, and uss swaybars and endlinks.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi guys!
Ok, so, I got the KW v2 installed, right now they are set to medium bounce. conservative height, for an Audi S5 2013, with 19" any recommendation for height, the back is lower than the front ( I have read a few threads where it seems it is normal).
Should I set it, to whatever i think looks good, then adjust the springs/dampening etc? or should I take into consideration all variable?
Maybe, someone has some KW v2, or v3, and has some dimensions/setup that works really well to eliminate the guess work?
Thank you guys!