Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

just bought '14 A5

Old 09-22-2017, 01:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default just bought '14 A5

Well, I moved pretty quickly after posting my concerns about the 2.0T about a week ago. This is my 8th Audi and by far the smallest. I'm going from a D3 platform (A8L) to this as my everyday driver.

This is a CPO car with 19k miles and definitely the best condition wise. The body and interior are absolutely flawless with not a knick of ding to be found. That is amazing to me since it was a lease car. The person really treated it like it was a purchase. I picked it up yesterday and immediately put it up on my lift to give it the once over and the underside is equally amazing. It's a Premium Plus with Nav, backup camera, B&O, blind spot. It also has the blackout package and sports package. The tires are brand new. Since it's always a good point of reference if anyone is looking, I paid $32k including rubber new cargo and floor mats.

That's about $2-3k higher than some of the other contenders I looked at but the dealer literally let me walk (and didn't call back!) when I tried to go lower than $32k. In case anyone in the Northeast is looking, there is a Chiraz Red '14 at Beiner with less than 6k miles (CPO) which can probably be had for $29k or better. It drove absolutely outstanding but needs a detailing and didn't have all of the options I wanted. Crazy, with those miles it should be a museum piece and would look like one if the dealer invested a few hundred dollars. It's had four oil changes in 5,700 miles!

I am not totally loving the sport package and liked the compliance ride of the 18's versus the 19" wheels. But, I know this is like buying a new mattress and I need a week to get used to it. I'm running in Comfort mode and took a few pounds out of the tires which helped a lot. Is anyone running 18's with the sports suspension?

Drive wise, I like it although I sort of wish it had a 6 speed instead of 8 speed transmission. The RPM's at highway speed are barely above idle! That's great for mileage but just a tiny bit of lugging but again I'm transitioning from a 330HP/4.2 to 220HP/2.0. Amazing, the D3 is only about 500 lbs heavier than the B8. It's plenty quick once you're up to speed, pretty impressive for such a small displacement engine and I know 220HP is on the low end these days. Mileage should be good and thinking that 30 MPG should be realistic on a long trip.

The build quality seems outstanding, incredibly solid with not a squeak to be heard. It's also really quiet, probably as much as my D3 which is surprising with frameless glass. I was also impressed with the ambience of the interior lighting at night, also something I have loved on my D2 and D3. I wanted the B&O upgrade knowing full well that people generally think it's ok but not a quantum leap better. I am one of those people, it's better than the Bose but probably only with the highs. I cranked up the bass and treble and that made a huge difference. I'm glad I got it but also glad I didn't pay for it although it's not crazy money for upgrade on this car new.

I have a dipstick arriving on Tues and will start to monitor the oil level with my eyes vs. the MMI. By all accounts, this generation 2.0T's are solid but probably not a whole lot with a ton of miles out there either. As long as it doesn't consume any oil to speak of, I'm good with anything else that I'll need to deal with once the warranty is up. This will be an incredibly easy car to maintain with oil changes, plugs, control arms, brakes all a piece of cake compared to any other Audi I've owned. Something tells me I'll be doing timing chain guides at some point in the future. Not a big deal but I would have been fine if this engine had a belt instead of chain.

Anyway, I will let you guys know if the dipstick I ordered from ECS fits when it arrives next week.

Bob
Attached Images   

Last edited by A8CT; 09-22-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with it. However, did you ever consider an S5? It would have been same or similar to your 330 hp A8 at 333 hp for several thousand more.

Here is one in our part of the NE @ Toms River, N.J.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&modelCode1=S5
Old 09-29-2017, 07:46 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats, very nice looking A5..
Old 10-11-2017, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congrats...

I just bought almost the same exact A5 in NM with 20K miles. My first impressions are quite good...smooth engine for a four cyl and good gas mileage. My first Audi since the 70's. I have not perused the site much but why are replacing the oil stick? Better monitoring?