Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

LED DRL

Old 08-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED DRL

Would it be possible to install the LED daytime running lights onto an 2010 A5 that does not have them normally included (e.g. a trim level of Premium)?

Would be interested to hear if anybody has already attempted this -- and at what cost?

thanks!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This upgrade has been performed a lot on the A4 side of the B8 house.
Easy Peasy - you can buy the parts here for $1264.00:
http://www.europrice.us
or here for $1,039.50:
http://oemplus.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=552

Since you don't already have Xenons, you will require additional parts which you can also buy from those links above.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gfunk808
Would it be possible to install the LED daytime running lights onto an 2010 A5 that does not have them normally included (e.g. a trim level of Premium)?

Would be interested to hear if anybody has already attempted this -- and at what cost?

thanks!
I've done it on my A5 and my brothers A4 - to buy all the parts from the dealer (bulbs and xenon ignitor pack) are obscenely expensive.

I found this guy in New Jersey who deals in salvaged parts and can get you both ignitors plus bulbs for around $375 (over $1500 at dealer)

You'll also need a Kufatec adaptor to have your car learn to use b-ixenons instead of the standard halogen ($70) - this is a bit of a tricky install but you can do it yourself - especially since i wrote down all directions with pics on the instal.

You can buy the Euro headlights like i did ($1200 and a 2 month wait) - or you can troll the forums for people selling their stock units for around $400-$500 (in hindsight, i wish i did this - $800 extra to have clear corners was NOT worth it)

then you'll need to do some Vag Com changes to your software

sounds complicated but it really isn't - Also, you can sell your stocks on eBay for around $250, like I did, to help offset the costs.

send me an IM if you need any help

btw - my total cost with the Euro lights from OEMplus was around $1700
my brother's A4 - with used US headlights bought off ebay was around $850 - $250 he got for his stocks = $600
Not bad at all considering how expensive the option is to buy with the car + tax + finance.

Last edited by cabriolow; 08-09-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gfunk808, I've got everything you need to install LED's and xenon's in your car. They came out of my 2009 S5 and it includes everything including the xenon bulbs and ballasts. Contact me at:

todd1010 AT gmail DOT com
Old 08-09-2010, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Imola Ghost
gfunk808, I've got everything you need to install LED's and xenon's in your car. They came out of my 2009 S5 and it includes everything including the xenon bulbs and ballasts. Contact me at:

todd1010 AT gmail DOT com
one more time!

WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED THESE!!!!!!!

to the OP - don't pass this up, getting a complete unit is next to impossible!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cabriolow
one more time!

LOL, I know this is nearly impossible to find a COMPLETE unit. They are in IMPECCABLE condition and have had Xpel Clear bra installed since the car was brand new, so they are rock chip free.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

thanks!
You can get an A5 with non-led drls? Where do you live, I've never seen any A5 or S5 variant without the Led DRL's. Are you in the states?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by acadia
You can get an A5 with non-led drls? Where do you live, I've never seen any A5 or S5 variant without the Led DRL's. Are you in the states?
I got the same thing - its called the BASE model.

I got my A5 cab a week after it came out and stock was almost non-existent.

All my dealer had was a FULLY loaded A5 cab and a strip-o A5 cab - I bought the strip-o

For the money of the options, I could have bought a 2010 VW Golf for errands )

So yes, non LEDs are in every state - I've seen a bunch in Los Angeles, including the one that was in my parking spot.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cabrio - looks like you've done this mod a few times. If I get the unit from Imola, how does that change the steps you layed out in your original reply?

G

Originally Posted by cabriolow
one more time!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Cabrio - looks like you've done this mod a few times. If I get the unit from Imola, how does that change the steps you layed out in your original reply?

G
If you buy the complete set from Imola (which you REALLY should)

The only missing part is this harness that basically allows your car to control bi-xenons (right now your car is only wired to control separate halogen bulbs, one for low and one for high)

http://kufatec.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=780

The part is cheap - $62

Install is medium difficulty - if you live in the Los Angeles area, I can help.

Let me know

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED DRL