Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Wire transfer payment method

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire transfer payment method

Hi Guys,

I am new here to the Audiworld forum. So, long story short, I am going to pick up my brand new 2013 RS5 in 3 days but then my dealership asked me to wire transfer them the full payment one day before I can pick up the car. I never had this kinda experience before because so far, I have only been using a cashier check whenever I am getting a car from a dealership. Thus, i am wondering if any of you guys have done this before? I know it sounds like I am a bit paranoid but just trying to be 100% safe.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That sounds bogus to me... I didn't pay for my car until the next day.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I drove off in my A5 on a Saturday with a personal check for the full amount, as I wasn't expecting it to arrive so quickly. Heck, i had to transfer money into that account online when i got home! I think that your dealer is being overly cautious for their benefit. Same day wire transfer, or a cashier's check, should be more than sufficient.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by zenfrogmaster
I drove off in my A5 on a Saturday with a personal check for the full amount, as I wasn't expecting it to arrive so quickly. Heck, i had to transfer money into that account online when i got home! I think that your dealer is being overly cautious for their benefit. Same day wire transfer, or a cashier's check, should be more than sufficient.
With it being said, I should be fine with wire transferring the money 1 day before, correct? LOL.. I know I should not be worried doing a transaction with a dealership because even last time when I bought a more expensive car, a normal cashier check was enough on the pick up day.. SO this one is kinda unusual for me..
Old 02-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rbudiman
With it being said, I should be fine with wire transferring the money 1 day before, correct? LOL.. I know I should not be worried doing a transaction with a dealership because even last time when I bought a more expensive car, a normal cashier check was enough on the pick up day.. SO this one is kinda unusual for me..
The dealership is more conservative than your other dealership you used to deal with.

Unless you have a credit score that they are not comfortable with, I think a wire transfer before you pickup the car is not a common procedure.

Or, if you have not yet paid a deposit.

If you did not pay a sizeable deposit, and they have another buyer lined up who is willing to pay a little bit more OR have better credit, then that could be teh reason why they are asking for the wire transfer.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is different. I would never pay in advance. Not until I check the car out and I'm prepared to drive it off their lot.

Otherwise, If there is something you don't like about the car, you'll have less leverage to get it corrected quickly.

Similar to a home contractor, never pay in full until the job is complete.
A cashiers check is more than enough. They have lots of time to clear that check before your title and DMV registration officially makes the car yours.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Marshall Placid
The dealership is more conservative than your other dealership you used to deal with.

Unless you have a credit score that they are not comfortable with, I think a wire transfer before you pickup the car is not a common procedure.

Or, if you have not yet paid a deposit.

If you did not pay a sizeable deposit, and they have another buyer lined up who is willing to pay a little bit more OR have better credit, then that could be teh reason why they are asking for the wire transfer.
I am not trying to finance it at all, I am going to pay all of the amount in full at once instead. Thus, I dont think they need credit history, do they? and also, I have put $2500 on my credit card when I decided to go with the car. Thats why I feel a little uncomfortable with this new method.. I would say that I have never encountered one like this before. Would you say I should just insist paying them with cashier check or would you say its OKAY to just do what they wanted?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

R, welcome aboard! It is a bit unusual to ask for full pmt prior to closing. Could be dealership policy. Are you doing this deal from a distance or is the dealership local to you? I know that many will ask for full pmt prior to delivery so the car may be registered before it can be delivered (we don't have temporary plates in MA). From memory, I think I've always completed the financial transaction prior to taking delivery. Maybe I paid the dealership in the morning, following my inspection, and picked up the car later in the day or the following day.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The policy really varies by dealer - has nothing to do with your credit score or amount of deposit. I've purchased 5 Audis for cash in the past 10 years, and only once did a dealer require wire payments - all the other times they were fine with personal check. The method I used was the day before picked up teh car I had them fax me a statement including the VIN, options, and accounting of amount owed, then I wire-transferred the money to them. Next day I picked up the car no problem, although of course the finance guy who signs off the paperwork tried to sell me on other stuff, which he was quite willing to take a check or credit card for.

My experience with other brands is also mixed - Ford and Lexus dealers were both OK with personal checks, BMW was not.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
R, welcome aboard! It is a bit unusual to ask for full pmt prior to closing. Could be dealership policy. Are you doing this deal from a distance or is the dealership local to you? I know that many will ask for full pmt prior to delivery so the car may be registered before it can be delivered (we don't have temporary plates in MA). From memory, I think I've always completed the financial transaction prior to taking delivery. Maybe I paid the dealership in the morning, following my inspection, and picked up the car later in the day or the following day.

Thanks man. It is unusual too IMO. Its a local dealership here in MN.

Quick Reply: Wire transfer payment method